PDA

View Full Version : Labelling of new messages

Askaru
July 15th, 2011, 10:31 PM
If I checked new posts in category, then I'll go back on main page of forum and press f5 (refresh) I still see marked thread, where I was and read it on the last page, such as thread where is the new posts. Why I must go back again and check it again ... than go one category up and press f5 to unmarked the thread as no-new? And than go one caterogy up and press f5 again to unmarked whole theards in the category as not new.
It's annoying ... because I don't know where is some new posts ... or if anybody responded, because I still see the theard as new ... independently if there is something new or not. Just anybody write something to one thread, and this tread I see whole time as new, even If I read the new post and pressing f5 to refresh like a madman ... no change, still marked as new...

I've got mozzila 5.0.1 with added plug-ins (Anti ad - No script, which is set for allowing everything on this page) and this browser support automatickly redirect ...

Where is error? It isn't error? Has anyone here same issue? Or it's normaly function o this forum?

ThiagoPE
July 15th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Some tips on your issue: try to not use the back button, always click "what´s new" instead of go back, then the new post mark shoud dissapear from the post you alread saw

One sugetion is try to use another browser or another computer to see im the same problem happen

Askaru
July 15th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I'm not useing the back button for example I'll leave this thread by click on the forum icon above, near "what's new icon, and I see this thread as new ... even I leave it before few seconds ... and no body respond here yet.

Revo
July 15th, 2011, 10:51 PM
More tips aside from always clicking "new posts" or "What's New?" instead of going back with your browser..: When you see a thread in the "new posts" section, check 2 things before you enter the thread:

1) Is the paw image on the left light colored or dark colored. Sometimes threads you have already recently read might appear in the "new posts" section, but usually they will have the darker paw image to show you that there is actually no new content for you there.

2) See who is the last poster (it's listed on the right), and when that last post was posted. You might remember that you have already read that post previously, without having to check the thread again ;).

Askaru
July 15th, 2011, 10:58 PM
The last poster is me, and still is here something new ...
I try use the "what's new button" (everything is fine this theard is not-new, but if I go back (no with back button) by clicking on forum button next, I see that, Rafiki's tree thread as new I see ... light paws (saying to me look, here is somthing new) I click on Rafiky's tree section and I check who is last poster ... and that's me ... did I write something, what is new for me? Split personality so I don't know what I wrote?

Askaru
July 15th, 2011, 11:02 PM
The good new is that after click on Rafiki's tree section this thread is unmarked ... do I go back and press f5 .. rafiki's tree section is still lighting as new ... while here is nothing new ...

Askaru
July 15th, 2011, 11:23 PM
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/Leonnwis/Fail.jpg
I was there I wrote there and after that I went on the main page ... press f5, no change ... Okey I go back to scars Lia thread ... as you can see ... FAIL

HasiraKali
July 15th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Hmm... Maybe once Sadiki gets on he can check into that. I have no idea why it would be doing that. I tend to not really look at the paws anyway and use the "new posts" link to find new posts.

Azerane
July 16th, 2011, 12:59 AM
It's always been happening to me too. Until I click the 'mark all posts as read' the pawprints still stay light in colour even if I've read the thread. If I've posted it changes though. I don't have too much of a problem with it, as I tend to browse forum by forum and check everything, then hit 'mark all posts as read' and then I'll know from there when people reply. Still, it would be nice for it to change right away..

Just as a note, if there's three threads in the forum with unread posts, and you reply to two of them, and just read the other one, when you go back to the main page, that forum will still show up as unread for me as there's that one thread that hasn't been posted in.

Sadiki
July 16th, 2011, 02:14 AM
I think what you guys are experiencing is that you have still threads you haven't checked in that forum. As Elephant's graveyard is a subforum it wont appear as read unless you have checked every thread inside of it or unless refresh period has past which I believe is 15 mins.

Pressing back button will not effect on what you have done, it takes you directly back, thought refreshing should remove this problem. Of course it's also possible that I have done mistakes while uploading some of the images on the server as that has happened before, but it shouldn't be the case. I also did a little testing and also realized that unless you spend a little while in the thread, it wont realize you checked it, like I checked Banning game thread for 5 sec and came back and it didn't show up, but I checked another thread for about 5 mins and it showed as read. I have also realized at the times threads don't read visits correctly, like I have replied a new thread and it says 0 views and 2 replies or something... but eventually it will start showing the views correctly, so things aren't always in real time. But yeah the paw prints should be pretty accurate unless you just check the thread very quickly and the system doesn't make a mark of it.

ADDED: Also if the the paw print is consistent with the text ( Bold text if new, normal if old ) then it's working correctly as I haven't made any changes on that part of the code.

Azerane
July 16th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Perhaps it is simply the duration of time that I spend checking the thread. But I know I can read in all the threads in a forum and it will still appear as unread. Will give it a go.