PDA

View Full Version : Finally - A TLK Resort at Disneyworld!

Simbaspirit
July 3rd, 2011, 10:21 PM
I remember hearing about this a ways back, but the newest Disney World hotel will be a value hotel.. and one quarter of the rooms will be completely TLK Themed!! :D Here is a artists rendering of the TLK section (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/art-of-animation-resort/ - its the 3rd picture out of 4) - looks like you'll be able to go in to the elephant graveyard, and the Lion King characters are larger than life. :hakuna:

HasiraKali
July 3rd, 2011, 10:52 PM
I remember posting about that in the Disney Parks thread. ;) The resort is supposed to open next year, and as of three weeks ago, does not look like it will. :lol: We stay at Pop Century which is literally across the lake from this one. The TLK buildings haven't even been built yet. They have a lot of work to do, but it's going to be awesome.

This article has aerial pictures of the progress: http://wdwnewstoday.com/archives/7333

You can actually already start booking Finding Nemo rooms I believe. The Lion King rooms are supposed to open next September. We probably won't stay there since the TLK rooms are going to be family suites and way more space than two people need, but I've suggested that we have a Lea meet and stay there when they're open.

Simbaspirit
July 3rd, 2011, 11:06 PM
hmm I thought I read about it somewhere, but nothing came up in the search, sorry bout that! And that's an AWESOME idea for a meetup there! I would try to make that one for sure :D

EDIT:

here is another image of what they expect the TLK rooms to look like :D http://www.insidethemagic.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/5722454535_5bed19d5de2.jpg

Here is the proposed exterior: http://www.insidethemagic.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/5722454221_a85291e9822.jpg

Sharifu
July 3rd, 2011, 11:17 PM
So September of 2012 is when TLK themed rooms are supposed to open? How about we plan our meeting then? :D Seriously, we have been talking about this meeting for years but no date set... :lol:

Simbaspirit
July 3rd, 2011, 11:21 PM
I don't know where I'll be going to school next year, but if it's back east (there's a 50/50 chance) then I'll probably be able to make it!

Sharifu
July 3rd, 2011, 11:27 PM
Well I'm not 100% sure we can afford it then but I think we could if Petteri got a job by then. I guess the original plan was to go in 2014 for the 20th anniversary, but I'm anxious. :p Depends on other people too.

HasiraKali
July 3rd, 2011, 11:49 PM
I like the 20th anniversary idea. That gives everyone plenty of time to figure stuff out and will mean more to all of us I think. :) How awesome would it be to be in a TLK room on the 20th anniversary of the film's release? We could even do Animal Kingdom that day and see the TLK show there and just be plain annoying to people that have no idea. :lol: I bet if it was mentioned to Disney what was going on (A bunch of TLK fans from all over the place celebrating on the 20th anniversary together) something magical might happen. ;)

I know it's hotter and more crowded in June, but still. It would be epic. Beyond epic.

Edit: OMG we could all get "I'm Celebrating!" buttons and have it say "The Lion King" on them! :D

Simbaspirit
July 3rd, 2011, 11:57 PM
I bet if it was mentioned to Disney what was going on (A bunch of TLK fans from all over the place celebrating on the 20th anniversary together) something magical might happen. ;)

I know it's hotter and more crowded in June, but still. It would be epic. Beyond epic.

Edit: OMG we could all get "I'm Celebrating!" buttons and have it say "The Lion King" on them! :D

Good idea :) lol I love the button idea.. 2014, I'll be graduated university by then (:mufasaworried:) so there's no reason I wouldn't be there :D

HasiraKali
July 3rd, 2011, 11:59 PM
It's really not that far away when you think about it. I know people that plan their trips five or more years in advance. Should a thread be started since I don't think we ever started a new one for that here?

Sharifu
July 4th, 2011, 12:01 AM
You should go ahead and post the thread HK. ;) I want to see what those pins look like. :p

HasiraKali
July 4th, 2011, 12:07 AM
The "I'm Celebrating" ones? They look like this right now.

http://i56.tinypic.com/kecc38.jpg

There's actually more room under the text than it appears on there.

Sharifu
July 4th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Where do you make those?

HasiraKali
July 4th, 2011, 12:33 AM
You get them at Guest Services or at the resort front desk. They're free! :D

I made a thread btw. :p

Dare
July 4th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Interesting how they're planning on charging additional fees for internet access - I was under the impression that most places (at least the less expensive ones where I normally stay) were doing away with the fees. I haven't paid extra for net access in years. Ah well.

Still, the place looks like fun...could be worth checking it out for the photos ops if for no other reason.
:)

HasiraKali
July 4th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Yeah a lot of people complain that Disney doesn't do free internet. I guess it's because a lot of the people that go don't spend enough time in their rooms to justify the free option? I don't know.

There's always the option of staying at Pop Century which is literally across the lake and is cheaper since it isn't a family suite resort. ;)

Sharifu
July 4th, 2011, 05:41 PM
There's always the option of staying at Pop Century which is literally across the lake and is cheaper since it isn't a family suite resort. ;)

Or just not go to a Disney resort at all... :p Don't get me wrong, I would love to stay at Disney resorts every time I go, but even Pop Century was expensive in my opinion when I looked at going there the last time I went to DisneyWorld in 2008. The only reason I am considering going to a Disney Resort next time is because it's TLK themed and I feel that is a once in a life time thing for me to stay there. :p

Last time I went to DisneyWorld, the motel we stayed at was only $50 a night and had free internet access. It had free shuttle service to the parks too.

HasiraKali
July 4th, 2011, 06:47 PM
True. Though really, Pop is usually around $70 a night and that includes airport transportation and extra magic hours. You make it up somewhere. It's really all about what you want and how you want to budget. We used to stay off site as well, but we stayed at All Star Music on a deal once and that was it for us. :lol: In the end, it really doesn't matter where you stay, as long as you can get to the parks. :) There's a set of hotels in the Downtown Disney area that are not owned by Disney, but they still consider them Disney hotels. They're usually pretty inexpensive as well. Lots of options to go through, but we have time. :)

lionkinglover
July 20th, 2011, 08:48 PM
that's cool ! I'm gonna go !

HasiraKali
July 20th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Go check out the meet thread in the Lea Meetings section. ;)

lionkinglover
July 20th, 2011, 08:53 PM
ok. thanks.

HasiraKali
July 22nd, 2011, 12:11 AM
Bit of news on this today. The highest piece of metal support was installed today. That means the basic framework for the buildings is done. The tallest building... one of the Lion King ones. :D

More info: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/07/topping-out-ceremony-held-at-disneys-art-of-animation-resort/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DisneyParks+%28Disney+Parks+B log%29