PDA

View Full Version : The last movie you've watched thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Kossu
November 9th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Kubo and the two strings.

What an epic movie that was! Really did make me appreciate stop-motion animation a lot more.:wow:

Sadiki
November 11th, 2016, 05:58 AM
Warcraft. I know it got poor reception in US, but it really is pretty good movie, especially if you know anything about background of the characters and the world. I do feel like starting from the second game though and just narrating the events of first game would of worked better as second game has lot more epic story line and more depth in characters. I do hope they do continue on making the trilogy though as I do feel like has a lot more potential than most people give it credit. I feel like the image general public have about WoW did also hurt the movie.

Leorgathar
November 11th, 2016, 08:18 PM
I actually agree with you there. I've never played WoW, but I had a look at the general story before watching the movie, and I quite enjoyed it. It may not be a masterpiece to please critics (as if that movie were for them in the first place ><) but it is a lot better than those mediocre D&D movies, and the production is fantastic, it's visually very impressive.

Kubo and the two strings.

What an epic movie that was! Really did make me appreciate stop-motion animation a lot more.:wow:
Ah! I'm dying to see that movie. I've heard many good things about it, and as a fan of stop-motion, I'm excited :D

As for me, I recently watched Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders. Based on the 60's series with Adam West and Burt Ward. Seriously, if you were let down by the BvS Batfleck or the Killing Joke movie, this is your antidote.
It's incredibly hillarious, it even pokes fun at the Chris Nolan films. You guys should watch it :lol:

Azerane
November 13th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Last film I watched on tv was Grumpy Old Men :lol: A classic.

Last one I saw at the cinema was Dr Strange. Pat wanted to see it, I expected not to like it, I liked it :) It was different, which made it interesting.

Dare
November 13th, 2016, 07:14 PM
Just saw Doctor Strange last night.
I really really liked it, though I shudder to think what watching the movie in 3D would have done to my eyes.
Now I know what my friend meant when he said the movie was a like an "MC Escher acid trip".
:lol:

Azerane
November 14th, 2016, 03:20 AM
Haha yes it certainly had some unique moments. I couldn't even imagine having watched it in 3D, would have hurt the eyes surely :p Fantastic concepts though :)

Kopa
November 14th, 2016, 06:48 AM
Last movie I watched was Don't Breath. A thriller with a twist or two! I actually enjoyed it! :cheese:

nathalie
November 14th, 2016, 11:33 AM
Sausage Party was one of them ... Very disturbing, funny though. If you really wanna watch something light, and you're old enough to watch, then yeah, sure, watch it :lol:

Adam had never seen the Aristocats *gasp* so watched that too.
Finding Dory, Mary Poppins, and Deuce Bigolow 2.

Kirauni
November 14th, 2016, 05:30 PM
I've just watched "The Good Dinosaur". The backgrounds ware amazing!
However the dinosaurs looked a bit strange inside this "realistic" environment. I also didn't enjoy the story that much. Of course, there were some elements tjat I liked (a few taking from TLK as it seems...), but overall I feel like it lacked something important. It was also quite dark and cruel at times. Nothing I would expect from a Disney movie. It has its nice moments though.

Kasei
November 14th, 2016, 08:58 PM
I liked the Good Dinosaur, but I think you are right, it did lack for something, can't quite put my finger on what though. And yeah, the dino designs inside of the hyper realistic setting bugged me.

I watched The Swan Princess the other day, had never seen it. I am currently watching Psycho, the original one. D: So far not too scary. The tense music in the background makes me more anxious than anything else so far...wait, nevermind, just got to the shower scene. :C

KanuTGL
November 14th, 2016, 09:22 PM
I completely agree with you about The Good Dinosaur, Kirauni! I don't quite understand why they wanted to put these super-stylised characters in a hyper-realistic environment. Gorgeous scenery and lighting, absolutely, but otherwise not the strongest Pixar production in my opinion :C

Last film I watched was Lilo & Stitch. I forgot how sweet it actually is <3 And those beautiful Chris Sanders characters! <3

Azerane
November 15th, 2016, 05:28 AM
You guys share my exact feeling for The Good Dinosaur too! Backgrounds, landscapes and effects, mind-blowingly amazing! The characters however did not fit into the universe that was created for them. Such a pity because it was so gorgeous.

Kasei, I can't watch scary movies. My imagination is too good and I never sleep well for days, sometimes weeks after :p

Leorgathar
November 19th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Aaand I agree with all of you on 'The Good Dinosaur', on everything, plus I also thought they didn't really explore well the idea of how the world would be if the asteroid hadn't killed the dinosaurs. Sure, that meant there could be a human in the movie, and dinosaurs had some farming skills, but... that's about it, that's all they could think of -_- It's an idea that had a lot of potential, and they didn't really do anything with it xP

I finally got to see 'Kubo and the Two Strings', and I loved it! Maybe the storytelling still needed some work, but it's still a fantastic movie with some of the best stop-motion animation techniques I've seen. The Making-of features are as amazing as the movie itself too :D

I also got to watch again the new Jungle Book movie, but this time I saw it in English, and that actually helped me to appreciate it much more. There's more references to the book than I thought, so it was great to see they did do some more research on the story beyond the classic Disney film. I also appreciated the visual effects technology much better this time around, I still have my questions about using this format for the new Lion King movie, but... it sure is really darn impressive with The Jungle Book. So here's hoping they'll know how to use it well for TLK. I'm a tiny little bit more optimistic about it now (but very careful optimism, I'd say xP)

Revo
November 22nd, 2016, 11:18 AM
Watched Doctor Strange, and I quite liked it :) . I'm getting more convinced that I'm just biased to like Cumberbatch in anything :P . And I thought the ending was quite clever.

Ooh, and I also watched Finding Dory. It sure was tugging deep for those heartstrings :D . They were certainly walking a fine line in how to not make Dory's forgetfulness become annoying to follow.

Kossu
November 26th, 2016, 07:55 PM
I thought "Doctor Strange" was really good too. Even though I'm not a big fan of superhero movies in general, I really enjoyed that one.:)

The last movie I watched was "Fantastic beasts and where to find them". I have to say, I wasn't expecting much of the film, other than it would be impressive to look at. I was pleasantly surprised though. The story was quite decent and the acting was very good and I really liked the character of Newt Scamander . It gave me plenty of good laughs too.:D

Azerane
December 20th, 2016, 10:20 AM
Rogue One. I won't spoil it for anyone. I have a couple of small gripes about it, but overall I really enjoyed it. :)

KanuTGL
December 20th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Moana. Don't ask me how :'D

And it was very, very good. I got a lot of 90s-Disney vibes from it, in a good way, and I loove the songs (yaay, LMM!). It's lovely to see Ron and John back on form. I still don't think it can beat Tangled in terms of CG Disney-princess awesomeness, because Tangled is honestly perfect, but Moana is so much better than Frozen, like woha. I can't wait to see it again :cs_rockon_3:

Nit
December 23rd, 2016, 10:52 AM
I got a lot of 90s-Disney vibes from it,
YES! I thought the same thing while watching Moana!
While it's not a perfect movie it's really worth watching. And without doubt it's better than Frozen! Just go and watch it if you haven't seen it yet. :D

And the last movie I watched was Star Wars: A New Hope (silver screen edition - a scan of 35mm film).
I moved my thoughs about the movie to this topic: http://leahalalela.net/showthread.php?5679-All-Talk-Star-Wars&p=200647&viewfull=1#post200647

Leorgathar
December 23rd, 2016, 05:11 PM
I really, REALLY need to see Moana. I've been kind of stubborn in not going to see it because I would love to watch it in English first, so I'm waiting until it's available on Bluray. I've enjoyed other movies much better in English (Zootopia, Jungle Book... it was a miracle they put Pete's Dragon in English here xP)
But with all the hype and the reviews, I'm just about to change my mind and go watch it anyway. I've been actively avoiding spoilers so far (I haven't even heard 'How Far I'll Go', dammit! xD)

Last movie I saw was Rogue One, and I was really impressed! Way better than I expected :D

nathalie
December 24th, 2016, 09:57 AM
We saw both Gremlin movies. 'Cause you know, it's Xmas, lol.

Azerane
December 26th, 2016, 08:21 PM
Jaws. It was the first time I'd seen it, actually I thought it was quite well done and I enjoyed watching it which is pretty good considering how long ago it was made.

Azerane
December 28th, 2016, 07:35 AM
Moana :D Now there's a fun movie! Enjoyed every moment of it, particularly loved the songs. We Know the Way, How Far I'll Go, and Shiny in particular :cheese: Just a fun movie, Maui's tattoos reminded me of Hercules.

Nit
December 28th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Yeah, Moana is the best movie of 2016! :D

And I watched The Black Cauldron. It isn't half bad as people say but it isn't amazing either... and it could be! So much wasted potential.I guess Disney was afraid to take a step further into darkness and movie ended being neither for young, nor adult audience.
It's worth watching anyway.

http://i.imgur.com/gAxEsRQ.png
Hmm... looks familiar. ;)

KanuTGL
December 28th, 2016, 10:45 PM
Yeah Moana! :D

I agree about The Black Cauldron, Nit. It's such a shame that it couldn't live up to its potential! They could have done a lot more with it, indeed. Now it's just one of those forgotten films... I wonder if there is any film in Disney's "Classics" series that is ignored more than Cauldron xP

Last movie I watched was Big Hero 6. Every time I see it I'm sort of surprised by how good it is xD It's one of those films that I really didn't think I'd like, but it's actually amazing.

And before that I watched Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. I loved it so much omg <3

ThiagoPE
December 29th, 2016, 10:09 AM
I watched Vaiana (Europe name of Moana) while I was in Portugal. Here they decided to only release it in January because the school vacations that here are in January. It a very nice movie with very nice songs. I will not re watch in cinema here, but sure I will buy the blu-ray

Enviado de meu LG-D337 usando Tapatalk

Azerane
December 30th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Paulie, it was on tv. I'd never seen it before. Really enjoyed it, probably especially since now we have Dory. I maybe teared up at some points :p Was a cute movie though.

nathalie
December 30th, 2016, 10:26 PM
We saw Moana today.
Adam loved it. I'm scared he's going to bump Lion King to second place :lol:

Azerane
January 1st, 2017, 10:48 AM
^You have to admit it was pretty awesome, that being said it's no Lion King!

nathalie
January 2nd, 2017, 08:00 AM
Pete's dragon

It was a nice family movie, but that's it for me.
Thought the rest was quite boring in general.
I much more prefer the animated version.

This one was a second 'water horse' for me.

Revo
January 3rd, 2017, 02:10 PM
Kubo and the two strings

Simply put, it was awesome. The animation was incredible, the story very engaging and the characters lovable. Plus I find the japanese-themed mythology enticing as well.

Edit: Oh, and I saw "Storks" aswell. Surprisingly, it was actually hilarious. Wasn't expecting too much, but the humor was snappy and right up my alley. Had to go search up some particularly funny scenes afterwards from youtube. just to see them again.

HasiraKali
January 3rd, 2017, 03:56 PM
The last movie I watched was actually TLK. They were showing it on Funnel Vision by the pool on our last day at sea.

Leorgathar
January 4th, 2017, 08:11 PM
Moana

Yes! I finally got around to watch it ^^ and I loved it! I agree with all that's been said here, it's incredible! :cheese:

Though just as I expected, I did feel I would have enjoyed it much more in English. The songs didn't blow me away as much as when I heard them on Youtube in English after seeing the movie (I have a bit of a pet peeve with the way they write Disney lyrics in Spanish ><). But overall I still enjoyed it, and the ending actually made me shed a tear, it was amazing :)

Wow, 2016 wasn't a good year for many, but it surely was a great year for animated films. It's been a long while since it last felt there was some serious competition for best animated film of the year. They were all so good :D

nathalie
January 4th, 2017, 09:32 PM
Join the club now Leor! haha

I'm so in love with "How far I'll go" I think it's an amazing song ... and she was how old when doing this? 14-15-16? (well, she's 16 now, she's from 2000).
And Dwayne Johnson, always had a soft spot for him, lol.

And the animation is just amazing, during You're Welcome, the way they let Maui move.
And when Moana sings high long notes, they didn't just drew an open mouth, you can actually see the mouth move, just like in real life if a singer would hit such a note. I haven't seen that so noticeable yet in an animated movie.
Awesome!

Azerane
January 5th, 2017, 09:50 AM
I must say I was pleasantly surprised at Dwayne Johnson's singing :D I've had the songs stuck in my head since seeing the movie and keep having to play them on youtube :D I'm getting them stuck in Pat's head too :p

A Balanced Breakfast
January 6th, 2017, 04:01 PM
Fences. It was incredibly good in terms of acting, but it had to be one of the most depressing things I've ever seen. Denzel Washington and Viola Davis gave stellar performances.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

HasiraKali
January 7th, 2017, 09:40 PM
We watched the Penguins of Madagascar last night. I actually kind of liked it...

nathalie
January 21st, 2017, 02:36 PM
The Lego movie.
Adam kept going on and on and on about it, so I gave in and watched it.
Very impressed with how it's done! Was really cool. Unikitty is awesome!

KanuTGL
January 21st, 2017, 07:00 PM
Chicago.

Never gets old :lalala:

Leorgathar
February 2nd, 2017, 09:00 AM
Chicago.

Never gets old :lalala:

Hmm I've never seen that, maybe I should check it out :)

I saw La La Land today. It was pretty good I enjoyed it, especially in the visual aspect :) and as a musical too, but... I feel like there are much better ones out there, I don't know.
It's pretty obvious this is the favourite pick to win all the awards (because Hollywood xP), and it is forseen "City of Stars" will win Best Song, but... I really hope it doesn't. It's good and catchy, but I still don't find it that great.

Moana's "How Far I'll Go" is far, far superior :p

KanuTGL
February 2nd, 2017, 01:10 PM
Funnily enough, the last movie I watched was also La La Land!

As a musical-lover I had big expectations for this one and I was really excited to finally see a new "traditional" musical on the big screen, but I can't say it lived up the the hype :C I found it a little bland, the singing was lacklustre and I felt like it was missing something. Like some scenes just felt... empty?

I was disappointed in a lot of the singing too. Maybe it's because I've been listening to Broadway tunes more or less non-stop for the past year and I have another frame of reference xP I'm so glad Emma Stone got to sing properly during the Audition song though. I looved that <3 The only other scene I felt really engaged in was John Legend's song, and that wasn't even a "proper" musical number.

But there were lots of things I liked about La La Land. Even though it's not a new Singing in the Rain (my favourite), I loved all the grand dance scenes and stages that were inspired by the old Hollywood musicals <3 The soundtrack as a whole is nice too. I've been listening to it quite a lot today~

...and I'm rambling, I see. All in all, it's a nice film, but not much more than that. Alas, I have to say I am disappointed, but it just goes to show you can't always trust the reviews I guess.

Hmm I've never seen that, maybe I should check it out :)
Yes! You must! :D If you liked La La Land, Chicago is gonna blow you away! ;)

Nalas
February 21st, 2017, 01:56 AM
The Accountant

It was actually really good; I enjoyed it.

A Balanced Breakfast
February 21st, 2017, 03:19 AM
"Lion"

Two words. WATCH IT. Best movie of all year in my opinion, it actually had me feeling a lot of stuff.

Kossu
February 28th, 2017, 08:23 PM
Spirited away. I love that movie. Now I really really crave to rewatch more Studio Ghibli films.:lol:

HasiraKali
February 28th, 2017, 11:32 PM
Sausage Party. I want that hour and a half back please.

nathalie
March 1st, 2017, 05:15 PM
If you analyze it, it wasn't that bad :lol: I do want the last 15 minutes of my life back, from what happened in the movie those last 15 minutes, haha!
Disturbing to say the least ...

But other then that, it was "quite alright". Knowing who was part of the movie, already made you think it'd be crazy.

Seeing Alan Menken in the credits for music, now THAT opened my eyes o_O

HasiraKali
March 1st, 2017, 11:35 PM
No, it was bad. :lol: We were thinking the opening song sounded kind of like Book of Mormon, but then I was surprised when I saw Alan Menken too. But then again, he did do all of those weird songs for Galavant.

Kossu
March 17th, 2017, 11:01 AM
I watched "Beauty and the Beast" at the cinema yesterday. Overall, I found it to be a very enjoyable adaptation and I liked all the extra material/ relationships they added.:smile3:

HasiraKali
March 18th, 2017, 07:57 PM
Beauty and the Beast here as well. I really liked it and I can't wait to go see it again.

KanuTGL
March 19th, 2017, 05:11 PM
Sami Blood (a Swedish film about the indigenous people of Lapland and their struggle to fit into Swedish society in the 1930s). Oh my gooosh it was so gooood <3 I just had to express my happiness somewhere :'D

The next film I see is undoubtedly going to be Beauty & the Beast. I'll most likely have to see it alone though, because I don't have friends here who would want to watch it with me, haha~

Azerane
April 1st, 2017, 12:48 AM
Beauty and the Beast! :D I've seen it twice now, first with a friend the day after it came out, and then Pat and I went to see it a few days ago. I really enjoyed it, more than I thought I would. It's beautiful, the songs are gorgeous and the characters are much more relate-able than in the cartoon. I loved the song, "Evermore" as well :)

nathalie
April 9th, 2017, 08:13 PM
Actually, I just watched Lion King, thought it was about time again, lol, just wanted to listen to the songs really, so kept going back in forth in all the languages my DVD as :lol:

KanuTGL
April 16th, 2017, 10:12 PM
The Beauty and the Beast remake at last, aaand... eh, it was alright, I guess? There's a lot that I liked and a lot that I didn't like. It doesn't come close to the original. Nope. Not at all. But enjoyable, sure.

Lion King Stu
April 18th, 2017, 08:43 PM
Schindler's List, a film I've not seen since Secondary school when we learned about WW2 and everything that came with that, a film filled with way too much feels especially at the end when he said he didn't do enough...much hnng, Steven Spielberg did a really good job there...manly tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbUEqtEPNx4

Dare
April 22nd, 2017, 02:20 AM
Just finished watching Moana (finally).

Honestly, at this point I'm not even paying attention to the story - the textures in this are AMAZING! *adjusts her glasses*
Like...sand on face...so much wow...I can't even...

Schindler's List, a film I've not seen since Secondary school when we learned about WW2 and everything that came with that, a film filled with way too much feels especially at the end when he said he didn't do enough...much hnng, Steven Spielberg did a really good job there...manly tears.

Brilliant movie!
I only allow myself to watch it once every other year or so, and it's always immediately followed by watching something stupid/cheesy/funny to help take the edge off the feels and/or stop my blood from boiling.

nathalie
May 5th, 2017, 08:17 AM
A dog's purpose.

Was home alone last night, and that was kind of my only option to watch, lol.

Overall nice movie, touching, but not something I would watch again.

Kossu
May 13th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Split.

I didn't really like it. While scary movies generally aren't my thing, I found this one also sort of boring.

nathalie
May 14th, 2017, 05:19 AM
Really? That one seemed very interesting to me.
Wanna see that one day, during the day, haha, only then I can handle scary movies :p

HasiraKali
May 14th, 2017, 08:47 PM
I watched about half of Moana last night. My iPad died after Shiny. Before that, I watched What We Do in the Shadows. Again. I love that movie. Go watch it.
http://i64.tinypic.com/5v0ftl.jpg (<-- Jemaine Clement. Also Tamatoa. Also Shiny)

Nit
May 14th, 2017, 10:05 PM
I too recently watched "What We Do in the Shadows". Loved it! :)
And the move I've just finished watching was the Moonrise Kingdom. Wes Anderson amazed me again. :)

Opera Ghost
May 15th, 2017, 11:48 AM
127 Hours

Leorgathar
June 5th, 2017, 06:53 AM
Wonder Woman

I really liked it, it was awesome :D It does make up for the bad taste left by Batman v Superman. In fact... I'm not very fuzzed about the upcoming Justice League movie, I don't like how it's looking as of now, but I certainly would love to see more from Wonder Woman, of all DC heroes she's the only one I care about now :)

A Balanced Breakfast
June 5th, 2017, 03:52 PM
Pirates of the Carribean, the latest one. Watching Johnny Depp run whatever career he had left into the ground was fun, I guess.

HasiraKali
June 5th, 2017, 06:19 PM
Wonder Woman as well. I really enjoyed it. I'm not usually into the DC films, they're so dark, but I did like this one a lot.

Nalas
July 8th, 2017, 12:50 AM
Curse Of Chucky

I've been getting more "involved" with horror films as of last year. (This movie so happened to be on Netflix) Never had seen any of the prior Child's Play films, but this one was pretty good. Mucho kudos to Brad Dourif; voice of Chucky.

KanuTGL
July 8th, 2017, 03:08 PM
Despicable Me 3. I actually kinda liked it. The Despicable Me films are actually a lot better than I thought apparently xP

Azerane
July 16th, 2017, 11:52 AM
Suicide Squad. It was, interesting. I feel like Will Smith was meant to be a real bada$$, but he was kinda just Will Smith. Harley Quinn was definitely the best character, though I felt there wasn't really much to know about the rest of them. It felt a bit disjointed, and I didn't like the superhero blend with the old school ancient magic thing. I know there's a lot of that in Marvel/DC etc, but for whatever reason it didn't seem to connect very well for me. I liked it, but I wouldn't say it was a good movie.

Actually wait, I lied. I watched The Swan Princess today. First time I've ever seen it. It was quite enjoyable, although their love made no sense. All of a sudden because she's been kidnapped he's now her true love whereas before she thought he only loved her for her looks. Apart from that, a really nice movie although I can't say the songs were too catchy.

nathalie
July 16th, 2017, 08:58 PM
Police Academy 3.
So stupid ... but never gets old :lol:

And my very first love ... Steve Gutenberg <33
I "met" him when I was only 6 years old *sigh* haha !

KanuTGL
July 19th, 2017, 12:47 AM
Ocean's Eleven. I dunno, I just like it :p

Someone had left a bunch of old, but perfectly working, DVDs in the recycling room of my building, so I picked up a few (Ocean's Eleven being one of them) xD Last time I looked I think someone else had picked off a couple of other DVDs too and I'm considering going through my collection to see if there are any I can leave down there as well. Maybe it's the start of a little film trading centre :lol:

nathalie
July 29th, 2017, 02:28 PM
Watched a few these past 3 days.

- Planes = so boring! A mix of Cars and Turbo. But next time, I'll watch both of them, intead of Planes.
- Rush Hour 1, I love all 3 movies, so funny!
- Blue streak, quite funny, very unexpected ending ...
- Man of the House, the Tommy Lee Jones version. I love him as an actor, so dry, serious and yet always funny!

HasiraKali
July 30th, 2017, 02:33 AM
Descendents 2. I'm sorry, but I love those stupid movies.

Azerane
August 30th, 2017, 07:27 AM
Moana. It showed up on Netflix yesterday. "Don't mind if I do" I thought to myself :D So good.

KanuTGL
August 30th, 2017, 03:46 PM
The Boxtrolls. I really underestimated this one 8O I never saw it when it first came out because I thought from the trailers it looked like the kinda silly comedy I'm not that into, but wow it was awesome <3

HasiraKali
September 1st, 2017, 01:33 AM
Oh Boxtrolls is amazing! Very creative and fun to watch.

Leorgathar
September 1st, 2017, 09:07 AM
I haven't seen Boxtrolls, but I remember having similar impressions about ParaNorman, I thought it looked dumb and silly too, but it's much deeper than it appears, and the animation is impressive, so I ended up enjoying it. Pretty much everything Laika studios does is amazing, just watch Kubo and the Two Strings :cs_happy_3:

Last movie I saw was Baby Driver. It's highly action packed and some things didn't make sense, but I enjoyed watching it with my friends, it's really fun and the soundtrack is kickass :p

nathalie
September 1st, 2017, 02:38 PM
A streetcat named Bob. Very nice movie. I had more eye for the cat off course, lol.
I really like true story (based) movies. I like reading about the actual story. Been in London enough times in the past, can't say I ever saw him, hehe.

Short Circuit, because ... JOHNNY 5!

And now I'm watching Kronk's New Groove. Needed something silly to watch right now.

Azerane
September 5th, 2017, 07:58 AM
Cars 3, we went and saw it on Sunday. I actually quite enjoyed it. It's not the terrible movie that Cars 2 was, and I think it holds up pretty well. I enjoyed it anyway :)

Leorgathar
October 29th, 2017, 09:43 PM
COCO

I saw it last friday, and I may be a bit biased, but I loved it so, SO much! :cs_love: It totally lives up to the hype, it's everything that I expected and much more.
The creative team definitely did a great research, they got everything so right that I have no complaints at all. It does feel like a real Mexican town, and the cultural aspects of it are just like it is here, they nailed Day of the Dead perfectly.

Also, you're in for a very emotional ride, Pixar style. The story will pull your heart strings and make you cry, I guarantee it :emo:

nathalie
October 30th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Boss Baby.
Had no idea what it was about, and very pleasant surprised. Was very funny I thought, and a great voice cast, and lots of cute things, lol

KanuTGL
November 2nd, 2017, 09:56 AM
I'm totally excited about Coco. Just another 3 months or so until they release it over here, whee... :'D

Last one I watched was "Pirates! In an Adventure With Scientists" :D I love this film so much!

HasiraKali
November 13th, 2017, 03:24 AM
Thor: Ragnarok. Very good. I think it was the best Thor film so far. And it took them long enough to use the Immigrant Song...

KanuTGL
November 14th, 2017, 12:37 AM
The Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole.
Yes... for the first time...

The story was pretty predictable, but hey, I enjoyed it none the less.

The animation and visual effects though. Hoooly moley! Seven years later and the film still looks absolutely stunning 8O What kind of crazy CGI magic did they summon at Animal Logic!?

nathalie
November 16th, 2017, 01:33 PM
The lake house.

I didn't really knew what is was about.
Had it for years, finally watched it.
It was beautiful ^^
I even held my breath at some point, haha
Thought it was a lovey dovey thing, which I don't always like, but it wasn't.
Really nice movie.

Leorgathar
November 20th, 2017, 06:35 AM
Justice League

It was.... ok, I guess? :wtf: It's not terrible, but it doesn't feel like anything special either. I think it has a big editing problem, like something is missing, but I can't pinpoint what it is.
I also didn't like just how dark it looks, like it's all de-saturated from color, it gets tiring especially in fast-paced action scenes, it's happening in many movies lately.
It's a shame, I really liked Wonder Woman, and this doesn't feel like a worthy successor xP

nathalie
November 26th, 2017, 04:49 PM
Aftermath

Based on a true story about 2 planes crashing.
Arnold Schwarzeneger is the main character, and does an amazing job! I usually don't like him, I barely like any of his movies, lol, but this one was very good. You see him like you're not used to, it's a drama movie.
The other main character was played very well too.

Would definately recommend to watch this.

KanuTGL
November 26th, 2017, 09:35 PM
Mrs Doubtfire

Very nice film, I especially liked the ending :)

nathalie
November 27th, 2017, 02:58 PM
That's a Robin classic :)

Leorgathar
December 14th, 2017, 05:54 PM
^ I agree, it's a longtime favorite :cs_grin:

Last night I went to see Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi, and... OMG it was freaking amazing!!! :wow:
I'll obviously wait some time before saying anything, but there's so much to talk about it. All I'll say is that this isn't another retelling of any previous Star Wars film as many assumed. It's something entirely new, and it's really exciting! x3

Btw, anyone seen Coco yet? :p

nathalie
December 15th, 2017, 11:49 PM
Ducktales the movie ^^

Mainly just to hear the song at the end, haha

But it's still a nice movie. More like an extended episode really.

KanuTGL
December 18th, 2017, 01:27 AM
The new Murder on the Orient Express. It was alright, I liked it :) I prefer the gentleman David Suchet Poirot, but this was an interesting take on the character too. The film met my expectations *nod*

Btw, anyone seen Coco yet? :p
Nope, as you know it won't be released here for another month and a half... Disney always does this, and it really gets on my nerves :scarpaw:

Kossu
December 18th, 2017, 10:48 AM
"All dogs go to heaven"

The animation was such a joy to watch, I really miss 2d animation...:emo:

And I'm really looking forward to both "Coco" and "The last jedi". The first came out here recently, but I'm not sure it's available in English and I usually enjoy the original version more than the greek dub..:hehe: As for Star Wars...It's available too, but I think I will wait until I go to the Netherlands for New Years, then I can watch it with my boyfriend.:)

nathalie
December 18th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Aww, All dogs go to heaven, that's such a nice movie! Don Bluth movies are really good!

Saw "Sing" last night, it was great!
Didn't even felt like it was almost 2 hours. Loved it! Felt like being at a concert, haha, singing along, lol.

nathalie
January 2nd, 2018, 10:12 PM
Me and Adam saw 'the greatest showman' yesterday.
We both loved it! Great cast, the songs are really amazing and we've been listening since and bought the CD, haha

Based on true story, which I always like.
The music has great beats and is very powerful.

Even though I had to miss the last 30 minutes due to a panic attack and had to run outside -_-

Avani
January 19th, 2018, 12:11 PM
The last movie I watched was Ferdinand!
It was quite emotional, but I adored it.
However, it breaks my heart to think about
the reality a lot of bulls face...

KanuTGL
January 19th, 2018, 04:13 PM
The Greatest Showman has been on my "To watch"-list since I saw the first trailer, but I still haven't gotten around to it 8C Good to hear you guys liked it, hehe :P

I'm on the fence about Ferdinand, I think I might like the original short too much to see the feature version ^^;

As for which was the last film I watched, it was Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-rabbit :D Classic fun!

Leorgathar
January 20th, 2018, 11:50 AM
I saw The Great Showman too. It has great songs, but I can't decide if I liked it as a movie or not. I felt like it was missing something, but I can't pinpoint what exactly :timonhehe: Still very enjoyable though.

I also watched The Shape of Water, and I loved it! Pan's Labyrinth is still my favorite movie by Guillermo del Toro, but this one comes as a very close second. It's really, really good :D

Ferdinand is on my list too, I might go watch it this weekend. And I'd also love to check out The Breadwinner by Cartoon Saloon, I've been following news on that one for quite a while now :)

nathalie
January 22nd, 2018, 06:39 PM
We've just seen "The Greatest Showman" again (4th time for Adam, lol).
As I hadn't seen the end and was dying to see it! I clearly missed the best part.
Everything still fits so perfectly.

Leor: have you read the original story of PT Barnum? Worth a read.

Ferdinand looks a bit childish to me looking at the trailer, so not sure what to expect from that one ...

KanuTGL
January 23rd, 2018, 11:32 PM
Okay, now I've seen "The Greatest Showman" :D And woww. The plot is bland and the CGI animals are very cringe-y (glad they are CGI though), but the music and the songs and the performances and Hugh Jackman and ahhhh! I would have danced all the way home if I could; nothing like leaving the cinema with a big, stupid grin on your face :p

nathalie
January 24th, 2018, 11:11 AM
I do agree, the animals could have looked a lot better, especially the lions.

I think the story tells it just like it is. He saw those people as humans, not as freaks. Apart from Jenny Lind, she did quit the tour, but not because she got rejected, that's something they just put in to be more interesting.

Did y'all see the Oscar nominations? Very disappointing in so many categories.

Leorgathar
January 25th, 2018, 08:03 AM
Leor: have you read the original story of PT Barnum? Worth a read.
Hmm only a little bit, but not too much in depth. I'll make sure to check it out :) I may actually go see it again one of these days. I've found that I sometimes appreciate movies more when I rewatch them a second time, so I'll make this to be the case ^^

I finally got to see Ferdinand, and I thought it was pretty good! I liked it in general. It has a very good anti-violence message, and it does address the cruelty in bullfighting, in a kind of subtle way as not to make it scary for kids, but it works. It does have its emotional moments that made me a bit tear-eyed. Not at a Pixar level of emotional, but it's lovable.
What I didn't like about it though is all those silly filler scenes in the middle, and all the unnecessary cringey characters. I mean, the story could have been told with only a handful of characters and it would have been alright (like, you know, the original tale), but this movie adds 5 different bulls besides Ferdinand, a goat, 3 hedgehogs, 3 horses, and a dog (And that's not counting the human characters xP), they're all for filler scenes only to get some laughs and not move on with the plot.

But... maybe that's me overthinking it xD if you can get past that, it's still a very cute movie. For what it is, it's worth a watch :3

nathalie
January 25th, 2018, 11:08 AM
I saw "Trolls" again last night, 3rd time in like, a week, lol.
I didn't knew what to think, but finally decided to watch it. I loved it. The music is good, the voice cast is good. And even though not all songs are original (like "True colors"), they fit so well.
I was never a Dreamworks fan, I always thought they couldn't capture emotions in faces. Unlike Pixar, who managed to do that amazingly since the beginning.
But with Trolls they managed to do great.

Also saw "Cars 3".
Really liked the frist one, the second one was alright, the third ... I don't know. I was more busy with other things and just had it on in the background basically. Couldn't really get myself to actually keep watching it.

Also, anyone remember PT Flea from A Bug's Life? = PT Barnum :lol:

KanuTGL
January 25th, 2018, 01:31 PM
Most of the plot in The Greatest Showman is pure fiction though :p

I rewatched Disney's Atlantis yesterday. If there is one Disney feature that deserves (and would be amazing as) a live-action remake, this is the one! Goshdangit, why aren't they on it yet!?

Also I haven't kept track of the Oscar nominations x_x I know Glen Keane's latest short was nominated! But that's about all I know, haha. Which ones were the good ones?

nathalie
January 25th, 2018, 02:00 PM
No it's not? Like any movie that's based on true events, they always change things. The fire was real (but they never knew how it happened, in the movie you see who does it). Jenny Lind did quit the tour (but for other reasons), but Barnum was never in love with her so that wasn't the reason like in the movie.
Phillipe is fictional, but a great add for the movie.
The story and (mainly) songs portray everything very well, so I'm not sure what movie you saw :p
You need to have some intrest in the original story too, in order to form an opinion about the plot.

KanuTGL
January 25th, 2018, 07:47 PM
Yes it is? Based on true events :p Like you just said, a lot of the key elements in the film are fictional :) Barnum didn't abandon his circus for Jenny's tour; the tour happened before his circus. Charity also didn't leave him and he also was a politician, among a bunch of other less-than-nice things he was that they conveniently left out. Anne Wheeler is fictional and so is Phillip - and their interracial romance is kind of a big deal in the plot, is it not? That's all I mean. They picked the bits they liked and spun a yarn out of it, and I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Like I said before, I liked the film and I love the music :)

nathalie
January 28th, 2018, 12:25 AM
The Founder a few days ago.
I had never actually bothered to look up the story about McDonalds.
My dad mentioned this movie last week, he wanted to know if this was out yet, so I had a look.
Very interesting. But shows again, that, to achieve in life what you want (in some/most cases), you have to be ruthless, careless, rude and a liar (basically).
It's not about how they came up with the idea to open a hamburger place (though, that gets explained in like 5 minutes), it's about how Ray Crock comes in, and just takes over from the McDonalds brothers like it's a piece of cake, by lying and being rude, making it completely a thing of his own and taking all credits for it.
How the brothers were not smarter in the end I do not understand ...

And tonight saw The Good Dinosaur.
I heard very bad comments about this one, so was a bit hesitant to watch it. But it had to happen at some point.
It was very nice, characters were cute and fun, and the backgrounds, my God, stunning!
The music, a little different, not really what you expect in a movie about dinosaurs, but it worked (music reminded me of Brave).

Leorgathar
January 30th, 2018, 09:20 AM
Two movies:

I rewatched Les Miserables with my sister who hadn't seen it before. We both cried, it's so hard not to with this movie, it always gets me :( I think it's one of those few instances where a movie is just perfect in every way <3

I also watched Ernest and Celestine, a French animated movie based on children's books. It was really cute, I liked it :) The sketchy look of the animation sure made me feel nostalgic for old 2D animated films. I'm really glad there are still some studios who keep pushing this style ^^ They recently made another movie called "The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales", it looks fun, I'd love to check it out xD

Also I haven't kept track of the Oscar nominations x_x I know Glen Keane's latest short was nominated! But that's about all I know, haha. Which ones were the good ones?

Oh I do hope Dear Basketball wins, it's the first time Glen Keane gets nominated, and he totally deserves it! He could lose to Pixar's Lou though. Other nominated movies I'd love to check out are The Breadwinner and Loving Vincent, they both look SO good :D

Nit
January 31st, 2018, 12:42 AM
Justice League: War and Batman: Under the Red Hood
Man, DC animated movies are so awesome! :D

Kossu
February 1st, 2018, 05:08 PM
"A Goofy movie"

And I still have such a craving for 2D films...;)

I also watched Ernest and Celestine, a French animated movie based on children's books. It was really cute, I liked it :) The sketchy look of the animation sure made me feel nostalgic for old 2D animated films. I'm really glad there are still some studios who keep pushing this style ^^ They recently made another movie called "The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales", it looks fun, I'd love to check it out xD

I love "Ernest and Celestine", it was such a beautiful movie...I didn't know it was based on children's books though. Nor did I know that they made another movie...got to check it out!:D

And I also really look forward to "The breadwinner" and "Loving Vincent". The latter was available on selected theatres here for a short period, but I missed it. :(

nathalie
February 1st, 2018, 05:31 PM
I love A Goofy Movie! The songs are great.

I watched 'Hidden Figures' last night.
About many black woman in the 50s and 60s working for NASA, and basically being the smartest of all. Men couldn't stand it, female, black and smarter then us?? We won't stand for that!

So it tells the story of 3 woman who did amazing things for NASA.

Safila
February 2nd, 2018, 07:38 AM
Baby Driver (awesome)

Kossu
February 5th, 2018, 07:55 PM
"Coco". It was a nice movie, but I wasn't as mind-blown as I expected to be.:thinks:

I have a feeling it might have been more interesting to watch in Spanish, I didn't like the mixed English/Spanish very much, it felt forced sometimes, if that makes any sense.

SchrodingersMeerkat
February 5th, 2018, 08:12 PM
The last movie I saw was Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2.

Kossu
February 10th, 2018, 11:12 AM
"Ladyhawke"

I'd never watched this one before and I wanted to do so for a while. In the mood for 80's movies, hehe. Plus Rutger Hauer and Matthew Broderick.:p

It was interesting as a concept and the sceneries were really pretty. The 80s music felt a bit out of place at parts, but I still enjoyed it.

Nit
February 10th, 2018, 08:58 PM
Coco and it was amazing! :)

KanuTGL
February 10th, 2018, 09:26 PM
The Conspiracy for some reason xP I was talked into it :p

Hoping the next one will be Coco at last..!

Lion King Stu
February 11th, 2018, 01:40 AM
Schindler's List, a film I saw back in secondary school learning about World War 2 and the atrocities that came with it. Seen it on Netflix and decided to give it a watch again...many feels! >.<

Leorgathar
February 11th, 2018, 08:10 AM
I got to see Loving Vincent this evening. Man, it's such a mesmerizing movie, so beautifully animated <3 Also quite sad :( it's really something.

"Coco". It was a nice movie, but I wasn't as mind-blown as I expected to be.:thinks:

I have a feeling it might have been more interesting to watch in Spanish, I didn't like the mixed English/Spanish very much, it felt forced sometimes, if that makes any sense.

You know, I loved Coco, but I have to agree with you on the language mix thing. It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine whenever they overdo it, and it does indeed feel forced. Like, I'm currently watching the series Altered Carbon, and there's this Mexican character who every now and then says curses in Spanish, sometimes shouting whole sentences while talking to another character who speaks English. And I cringe because... come on! we don't talk like that xP if I'm speaking English, I stick to English, even when I'm angry :p

But I haven't seen the English version of Coco yet, only small clips, so I can't really judge it much right now. Maybe some people find the language mix amusing, I don't know. But if you want to watch the Spanish dub, I can tell you it does feel a lot like home x)

This makes me want to watch movies in the language they're supposed to be speaking in... Yeah, I'm gonna start with Ratatouille in French :smile3:

KanuTGL
February 15th, 2018, 01:55 AM
Coco! :D And it was very lovely, I liked it a lot.

Althouuugh I felt that the way they presented the moral of the story was a little heavy-handed (like, we get it - you don't have to pound the message into our heads) and as someone whose Spanish is very limited, the mix between English and Spanish bothered me slightly as well. I agree with Kossu, it was nice but I wasn't as blown away as I thought I would be, given all the amazing reviews it's got :thinks: I too would like to see it dubbed in Spanish, maybe then the subtitles will translate all the dialogue ^^;

Safila
February 15th, 2018, 06:13 AM
Pitch Perfect 1 & 2

Kossu
February 25th, 2018, 01:05 PM
"The breadwinner".

It was really beautiful and sad at the same time. Very, very sad. But still, a good movie.:smile3:

HasiraKali
February 26th, 2018, 01:30 AM
Black Panther. It truly is as amazing as everyone's been saying. Definitely a new direction for the Marvel movies. So different from the other ones, and that's a good thing.

That was last week though. I'm going to watch What We Do in the Shadows again tonight. I love that movie.

I don't watch many movies during the school year...

nathalie
March 3rd, 2018, 10:04 AM
Coco last night.

Seeing the trailers, it already didn't appeal to me much.
So couldn't be bothered seeing it at the cinema.
Saw it was available "for grabs" and got it, and still didn't appeal to me. Dante was cute and fun, but other then that, not a movie I would watch again anytime soon.
Without trying to offend anyone, the music (well, Spanish music in general) is just not something I can really listen too, so the songs/music in the movie I didn't like at all.

I do wonder though, Leor, what's the voice cast in Spanish?
Since all the original voices seem to be actual Spanish, I would think they would just use the same people for the Spanish dub.

Leorgathar
March 4th, 2018, 09:28 AM
That's totally fine Nathalie :)
I recently got to watch the English version too, and... I was surprised by how much Spanish there was. I knew there would be some words, like I saw in trailers, but I do think they overdid it (and sometimes quite unnecessarily xP). I guess that way it's more appealing for American audiences who sometimes hear it from co-workers and such, but I can understand why it must've been distracting for people who aren't used to hear it, like in most of Europe.
I wish they had kept it to a minimum like, say, Beauty and the Beast with French, but oh well >< at least I got to enjoy the full totally-not-weird Spanish version, and nothing's gonna take that from me :haha:

I do wonder though, Leor, what's the voice cast in Spanish?
Since all the original voices seem to be actual Spanish, I would think they would just use the same people for the Spanish dub.

The cast is mostly different from the English version except for Gael García Bernal who reprised his role as Hector. Some other side characters also used the same actors, but I don't remember who exactly.

I think it's better that way, since it keeps the accents more authentic. Besides, I do think Miguel's singing is much better in Spanish, but that's just my biased Mexican opinion :p

nathalie
March 4th, 2018, 10:07 AM
Since they all speak with a "big" Spanish accent in the movie, and they are all Spanish, and mama Imelda sings in Spanish, I would have figured they'd just use the same people.

It also kind of bothered me, that no one spoke without accent. I know it makes it sound more real for the place it's being set, but I guess I found it a tad annoying.

Besides that though, the story was nice, remembering the people we've lost. And I sure do like a plot twist. But in general, meh ... another Pixar I don't really need to have, hehe.

Safila
March 25th, 2018, 09:38 PM
The Shape of Water.

Kirauni
April 1st, 2018, 08:06 AM
The Beauty and the Beast (classic) in 3D with my little daughter. It was her first experience with 3D movies and she really enjoyed it :D

HasiraKali
April 1st, 2018, 09:12 PM
The Lego Batman Movie

Indeed the best Batman movie in a really long time.

Leorgathar
April 3rd, 2018, 07:24 AM
Fantastic Mr. Fox

I think the story could have been handled better, but I really liked the style of Wes Anderson in it, it's hillarious xD The stop-motion animation feels kind of mechanical, it's not 'Laika Studios' great, but... that's part of the charm in it, it's intended to be that way. It's different to what I'm used to in animation, so that's why I liked it :p

I'm looking forward to check out Isle of Dogs too :D

Nit
April 3rd, 2018, 07:59 AM
Gotta watch this one soon. It's on top of my list of movies to watch! After all Grand Budapest Hotel by Wes Anderson is one my favourite movies ever! :)

The last movie I watched is the Rise of the Guardians. Quite enjoyable movie for the Easter but nothing amazing. The bunny was cute. :D

KanuTGL
April 4th, 2018, 02:08 PM
The Italian Job, for the first time in, like, a decade. It was a lot better than I remembered :D And, I mean, I remember it being good, but not how good it actually was :lol:

nathalie
April 4th, 2018, 07:49 PM
Fantastic Mr. Fox

I think the story could have been handled better, but I really liked the style of Wes Anderson in it, it's hillarious xD The stop-motion animation feels kind of mechanical, it's not 'Laika Studios' great, but... that's part of the charm in it, it's intended to be that way. It's different to what I'm used to in animation, so that's why I liked it :p

I'm looking forward to check out Isle of Dogs too :D

I actually liked that movie, but the style it's made in, you really have to like it.
Adam saw Isle of Dogs and said it was really good.
I don't want to see it, as I just can't sit through another movie in that style for 1,5 hours, lol.

Kossu
April 23rd, 2018, 01:45 PM
Babar: The movie (1989).

Anyone familiar with this movie? I used to watch it when I was 3-4 and I remember some of the scenes frightened me a lot. I quite liked the animation though and still do.

KanuTGL
April 23rd, 2018, 07:33 PM
^ Unfortunately not. But I remember watching the TV cartoon when I was little and liking it a lot :) Babar was one of my favourite characters back then, hehe!

Last movie I watched was Iron Man. For the first time :zazublush: Someone's decided I need to catch up on the Disney Marvel movies. Meaning all of them xP So I have no longer not seen any of the super hero movies!

Leorgathar
May 1st, 2018, 11:11 PM
Last movie I watched was Iron Man. For the first time :zazublush: Someone's decided I need to catch up on the Disney Marvel movies. Meaning all of them xP So I have no longer not seen any of the super hero movies!

Good luck catching up on all 19 MCU movies! ^^' I'm not a big Marvel comic book fan, but I've found the movies quite enjoyable. I think they're at their best when the heroes come together and interact with each other, so they get better by the time you get to the first Avengers movie ;D

Speaking of, I watched Avengers: Infinity War this past weekend. It was breathtaking! the stakes got really high for everyone, and that third act... wow :ohno:

KanuTGL
May 6th, 2018, 03:05 PM
Good luck catching up on all 19 MCU movies! ^^'
Yees, quite xD I fear it might take a while xP

Last night I watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Always enjoyable :D

Littlefoot
May 22nd, 2018, 01:07 AM
Last night, I finally watched a movie I’ve wanted to watch forever: Saving Mr Banks

I really liked it a lot. It was a great movie about the story around one of my favorite childhood movies that I still love to this day.

KanuTGL
May 22nd, 2018, 02:10 PM
Ahh, I really like Saving Mr Banks :)

Last movie I watched was Big Hero 6 <3 I love it so much, gah

nathalie
May 22nd, 2018, 03:09 PM
We saw The Avengers at the movies 2 weeks ago while Adam was here.
Absolutely loved it! My God, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, haha.

Adam then came up with the thought, we should watch them all from the beginning (only the ones as of 2008 until now, being part of the MCU).
Move nr 8 tonight = Thor 2 ^^

Leorgathar
July 4th, 2018, 06:37 AM
El Ángel en el Reloj (The Angel in the Clock) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7ebn8ZSgk4)

It's a very obscure and recent Mexican animated film, made by a new studio which will focus on making movies for humanitarian causes.
In this case, the movie is about a little girl with cancer who wishes she could stop time. A clock maker gifts her a magic clock handle that allows her to do so, but by stopping time she gets trapped in the Clock Realm, and she must find a way out.

This is the first time I genuinely like a Mexican animated movie. It may not be perfect (some very Flash-like and inconsistent animations), but compared to other works by other studios I'd say this is the best one I've seen. The character and world designs are pretty good, the soundtrack is amazing, and its story and message is just beautiful.

It probably won't get worldwide recognition, but I hope that at least an English version gets released at some point :)

HasiraKali
July 4th, 2018, 09:56 PM
Jaws 2. I'm trying to watch Jaws 3 right now, but it's storming, so that's not going well...
A Jaws movie marathon is a 4th of July tradition in my family.

nathalie
August 16th, 2018, 07:19 PM
Overboard

Just a nice feel-good romantic comedy.

And I just booked tickets for me and Adam to go see Ant-Man and the Wasp on Tuesday :D

Leorgathar
August 25th, 2018, 03:19 AM
Christopher Robin

I went to see it the other day with my girlfriend. It has its flaws, but overall I quite enjoyed it. Sure it's not a match for any of the animated movies, but I think it's different in that the message is actually addressed to adults this time around. It has its charm :)

We also watched Star Wars: A New Hope last night (Yeah, I'm introducing her to Star Wars :p so far she's liking it)

Leorgathar
October 19th, 2018, 04:48 AM
A Silent Place

It's pretty rare that I like a horror film, but this one is so well done that it's definitely worth a watch. It's also hell terrifying, I recommend watching it in a place with no interruptions, and don't speak a word while seeing it.

(Hey, it's October, I'm giving horror films a chance xD)

KanuTGL
October 29th, 2018, 07:02 PM
Ugh, no, never horror films, not even in October :lol: I saw a pretty interesting "making of" of how they worked with sound design in A Quiet Place though. It's always fun to get some insight like that, even in films I don't watch :)

Last film I saw was Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. It was on the TV *shrugs* :p

Kossu
November 8th, 2018, 09:46 AM
"Tower Heist"

It was on tv a few days ago. I started watching it when I realized that Matthew Broderick had a role. Also, it seems like I can't watch a movie with Eddie Murphy anymore, without having to think of Donkey from Shrek :p

nathalie
November 8th, 2018, 10:29 AM
Tower Heist is a nice movie ^^ happy ending too, hehe.

We saw "Falling down".
I've seen this years ago, and Adam recently saw a clip from it on 9gag, he told me about it, and I'm like "oh, that's a good movie!" so watched it.

KanuTGL
November 9th, 2018, 08:54 PM
I love a good heist movie! I saw Tower Heist too for the first time recently, it was a lot of fun :D

Last night my date insisted we finally watch a Swedish 80s classic called ”Göta Kanal”. Now he can’t berate me for not having seen it any more xD

nathalie
November 13th, 2018, 09:45 PM
We spent the afternoon at the movies.

First 'A star is born'.
Lady Gaga (Stephanie I believe?) Is such a pretty girl...
Seen her perform live a few years ago, she is great, amazing voice and talent.

I wasn't too much impressed with the movie.
Her acting skills. Or maybe not so much about that, then her voice when she speaks. I always found she sounds a bit 'nagging' when speaking.
Sam Elliot, great actor, but I can never understand what he says (lol).

I didn't like all songs, but the ones I did like I thought were amazing.

Didn't read anything about the movie, so no idea what it was about.
It lacked something for me...

The ending was very beautiful.
I would listen to most songs again, but it's not a movie I would see once in a while, like I do with other musical movies.

After that, we saw 'Johnny English strikes back'.
And indeed he does!
Very light, silly, extremely funny! Were in tears many times.

nathalie
December 8th, 2018, 08:43 PM
I went to see The Grinch.

For some reason, I never really liked Benedict Cumberbatch's voice, so I stayed away from things he did, lol. Yes, I'm shallow :p

But the trailer looked good, animation was cute.
Unfortunatly, all the funny bits were in the trailer. The movie itself was just a nice movie, and that was it, nothing more to it.
Off course we all know the story, but there wasn't much funny bits in it.
Benedict as The Grinch was great though, very good voice acting ^^ (my opinion on him changed :p )

If you're doubting which one to watch, I'd suggest you pull out the other one with Jim Carrey, instead of seeing this one at the movies.

Kossu
December 12th, 2018, 04:55 PM
I've never watched any of the Grinch movies. Now's the right time to do I guess, with Christmas and all.:hmm:

Speaking of christmasy movies, last movie I watched was "The chronicles of Narnia: The lion, the witch and the wardrobe". Still love the soundtrack of this movie so much. And the animation of the animals is SO good, even though it's from 2005...Especially Aslan.

I used to be so crazy about that movie and the Narnia series in general, over a decade ago. Good times...:kionhmph:

nathalie
December 24th, 2018, 11:27 PM
Went to see Mary Poppins Returns today.

I had high hopes for it, for some reason, and wow, were they met!

I was most exhited about seeing Dick Van Dyke as bank director, and when he finally appeared, I could just feel myself getting all happy inside and smiling, haha!

I don't like Lin-Manuel (something... guy who wrote Moana songs) as the "Bert" character for this version.
Oh, and Meryl Streep's part. But then again, I'm not a huge fan of her, and definatly not of her singing (she's terrible in Mama Mia).

But other then that, it is so true to the original movie.
Emily Blunt is very good, the songs sound just the same (well, with a Sherman brother as musical consultant).
And I was very pleasantly surprised, I really liked it (and I was thinking I wouldn't).
Even might go see it again in a few days.

Also, really nice to see original Jane, walk up to her "old self" in this movie ^^

KanuTGL
December 28th, 2018, 07:39 PM
And the animation of the animals is SO good, even though it's from 2005...Especially Aslan.
Right!? Just the other day I was reflecting over how much better and more appealing Aslan looks compared to any character from the new TLK trailer :idiot:

Last movie I watched was Tangled and I marvel over how good it is every time I see it :)

nathalie
December 29th, 2018, 09:27 PM
We had a movie night at the movies, last night.

I did watch A BUGS LIFE first on blu ray.
Love that one.

We went to see SHERLOCK AND HOLMES.
The trailer seemed good and funny, but found that the movie had a very slow start.
Good British cast, and Will Ferall as Sherlock wasn't all that. I thought he wasn't good with the British accent.
Movie picked itself up after a while, and the last 40 minutes were better and funnier.

After that, saw MARY POPPINS again ^^

Watching THE PIRATES, BAND OF MISFITS now.
So funny :D

nathalie
January 1st, 2019, 08:13 PM
We ended 2018 the same way we started it.
Seeing "The greatest showman" at the moves on 1/1/2018 and 31/12/2018, hehe.
Cinema here was showing it again as a one-night-only thing.

Seemed like no one wanted to baby sit on New Years Eve, lots of toddlers/babies/little kids.

nathalie
January 15th, 2019, 01:28 PM
We saw Aquaman.
With Jason Momoa being Aquaman, I believe Aquaman's lame days are definately over!

It had funny lines, the whole movie made sense.

The thing I really liked was, as Jason is Hawaïan, and has a darker skintone, his father in the movie does, and every kid that plays the character up where he is an adult, has also been chosen with darker skintone.

Which is something, they don't always do.

Kossu
January 15th, 2019, 05:16 PM
"Wallace and Gromit and the Curse of the Were rabbit"

I've been watching "Shaun the Sheep" on Netflix the last weeks and now I'm really in the mood to watch stop motion animated movies. I regret not appreciating them more in the past. Time to change that.;)

KanuTGL
January 15th, 2019, 07:19 PM
Ahaha, Curse of the Were-rabbit is a classic :D I love all of Aardman’s work!

I finally saw ”Mary Poppins Returns”! And it was good, I really liked it :) It’s not as good as the original, but what can you expect. For what it is, it’s a really nice and cheerful film <3 And since Lin-Manuel Miranda is in it how can I not enjoy it? Hahaa~ His accent was truly awful, but since it was done on purpose I might consider giving it a pass ;P I knew Dick van Dyke was going to be in it as well and was really excited to see him, but I had forgotten all about Angela Lansbury’s appearance, so that was a lovely surprise! And the subtle repeat of the original music at the end was so emotional and awesome too ;__;

nathalie
January 15th, 2019, 07:48 PM
"Wallace and Gromit and the Curse of the Were rabbit"

I've been watching "Shaun the Sheep" on Netflix the last weeks and now I'm really in the mood to watch stop motion animated movies. I regret not appreciating them more in the past. Time to change that.;)

They are so good and funny!

I have all the Shaun DVDs up to season 4. Waiting for season 5 and 6 to appear on DVD. Apparently it has, but amazon keeps saying out of stock.

Leorgathar
January 19th, 2019, 07:03 AM
Agreed on Aardman's works being utterly awesome :D

Last night I finally got to see "Bohemian Rhapsody", right on the last night it was shown on cinemas. And I'm glad I did, it was amazing! :cheese: It's one of those movies you enjoy best watching it on a theater, it's all an experience.

KanuTGL
January 21st, 2019, 10:25 PM
I’ve been on the fence about ”Bohemian Rhapsody”, buut I’m getting curious to see it lately. Hmm.

Last movie I watched was ”Me, Myself & Irene”. Ooh boy, there’s a film that has not aged well :cringe:

Kossu
June 14th, 2019, 07:18 AM
Detective Pikachu.

It was so much fuuuun.:wow:It surprised me that people at the cinema were clapping a lot at certain instances, have never experienced that before here in a cinema. Also, almost everyone (the cinema was full) was from my generation (millenialls). :p

nathalie
June 14th, 2019, 08:07 AM
It is good, isn't it! I've seen it 3 times already :D

Kossu
June 14th, 2019, 09:15 AM
Yeees, I'd very gladly watch it again!:D

By the way, did you receive any special Pokemon cards in any of the showings? My friend received a special Detective Pikachu one (he watched it in the Netherlands). Here they didn't give away anything (and I watched it on the opening night, in a large cinema chain).:confused:

nathalie
June 14th, 2019, 10:05 AM
The theater we go to is the Cineworld chain in the UK.
They mentioned it on their fb page that visitors would get a card, but then turned out it was only the theaters in London and another city.
So we didn't get one.
I'll probably see it again Sunday.

If the rain ever stops here (been raining since last Saturday), I'll go and see Secret Life Of Pets again.
Seen it 3 times already and I love it!
Much better then the first one.

KanuTGL
June 19th, 2019, 10:28 PM
Last one I saw was actually Detective Pikachu as well, finally! :lol: They had a half-price day at my local cinema, so I snatched a ticket. It was so cheesy and so fun :) No cards though, alas :C

Last week I saw Rocketman too! Good times :D

Aphelion
July 18th, 2019, 08:00 PM
The last film I saw was The Matrix, it's been playing here again to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the film (20 years, though!! I feel really old now! :D)

I never got chance to see it at the cinema when it was originally released, but aside from some of the effects looking a little dated, it still holds up extremely well. I'm vert glad I got the opportunity to see it on a big screen, well worth it.

nathalie
August 9th, 2019, 08:32 PM
Watching War Games.
But I'm not paying a lot of attention to it, lol.
I don't understand everything, lol.

nathalie
December 19th, 2019, 08:31 PM
It's that time of year again, for all the cheesy and (very) bad acted Christmas movies!

And I have to admit, I do like watching them, haha!

Some aren't all that bad (mainly the Hallmark TV movies, are alright).

Watched one last night, tonight is 'Christmas town'.

KanuTGL
January 4th, 2020, 04:09 PM
Klaus again :D I'd been nagging on my family to watch it all Christmas and I finally got them to join me yesterday. They all agreed it was great and my brother said "This is the one we should have watched on Christmas Eve." Yees, I told you so! :lol:

nathalie
January 4th, 2020, 04:53 PM
Klaus was really good! So much better then Frozen 2 was!
A bit like most movies, it starts out for the wrong reasons, and then they get a change of heart, but the story was told so well.

I seen Spies in disguise yesterday.
Really good, enjoyed it a lot.
Very funny bits. Although, sometimes, I felt like "ugh, they strechted the scene a bit", but overall, really good ^^

Kossu
February 3rd, 2020, 09:40 AM
I had the pleasure of watching "Weathering with you" to the cinema a few days ago.

It was the first anime film I have ever watched to the cinema. It was totally worth it, it was a really beautiful movie. The animation and the colours, ah, so great...:timonlove:A bit sad and dramatic at parts, but overall a very good movie.:emo:

KanuTGL
February 4th, 2020, 01:25 AM
Moulin Rouge, gosh, what a film. I remember the first time I saw it was on a long flight somewhere and I was not prepared to sob as much as I did at the end xP I still tear up - it's just so sad but beautifully done.

Otherwise I have so many films I want to see at the cinema right now! I wish tickets were as cheap here as they were in the UK, haha. It'll cost a fortune for me to go to them all :p
Letmesee1917alreadyaaaaaaaaaahhhh

nathalie
February 4th, 2020, 08:20 AM
Almost 12£ is not cheap :/
In Belgium it's 12€ I believe in the big chain, and quite a lot less in the smaller chain, go on a Tuesday, only 5,50€.

Kossu
February 6th, 2020, 09:26 AM
Moulin Rouge, gosh, what a film.

Omg, I love Moulin Rouge! Beauty, freedom, truth and love!:lalala: One of my all-time favourite musicals...So beautiful and yet sad.:emo:

And yeah, cinemas are expensive here as well...11 euro for a regular movie showing > <

On that, I really miss Greece. On average, most cinemas are cheaper(ironically, one of the few things that are cheaper in Greece in comparison to the NL...even though salaries are way higher in NL). And almost every cinema has special discounts during the week (Tuesday to Thursday) where you pay half price (3.5 euro up to 5 euro max). I used to go a lot with my friends.:(

KanuTGL
February 6th, 2020, 01:24 PM
Oh, I guess ticket prices do change over ten years, ahem... :lol: I might try and get another discount card for the cinema here. You get about three showings at half price if you go certain days or times... :thinks: Since I'm still out of a job I can go whenever I want technically, I just need to have any money at all :idiot:

nathalie
February 6th, 2020, 02:08 PM
Adam got me a pass for Christmas 2018, but I made him stop that last month, as I felt there weren't enough movies for this year.
And I feel sick at times, or it's raining, so I can't go, so wasn't worth it anymore.

I went 48 times last year with the card, so a nice savings of about 350 £. So well done.

nathalie
February 17th, 2020, 01:00 PM
We seen Sonic a few days ago. It was good!

I have nothing with the character. Back "in my day", you were either Sega kid or a Nintendo kid. And at my house, we had a Nintendo.
So never even played Sonic. (I do know about it though).

Very glad they listened to the people and changed Sonic.
Because, let's face it, he looks adorable now, and mad ugly when the first trailer came out.

I didn't think it was an awesome movie that I would see again within a few days if I still had my cinema pass, which I did with Pokemon and Secret life of pets (seen both 4 times within 2 weeks).
But it was very enjoyable, had good funny moments.
And James Marsden ... for all the ladies out there ... he's aging very well!

You must like Jim Carrey though.
If you don't like him, don't go see it. As it has typical Jim Carrey speech / sillyness / moves in it.

KanuTGL
February 20th, 2020, 12:43 PM
1917. Love love love love love love :zazurockon::rafikilove::lalala:

nathalie
April 17th, 2020, 07:29 PM
We've been watching loads of movies the past 2 weeks.
A few: Big, Enchanted, The iron giant, The rescuers 1+2.

But, we also watched Cats.
We tried watching it at the movies, but when it came out, I was already in Belgium over Christmas. And by the time we both came back to the UK, there weren't any evening viewings anymore, or, the weather was too bad for us to go, so we ended up not seeing it.

After reading so many bad reviews, we got extremely curious.

Now, I haven't seen the musical (neither of us), and apart from "Memory", I knew nothing about it.
Don't know the story, don't know any other songs.
So, I don't know how close the movie is to the musical, and what songs are new in the movie.

Maybe some spoilers:

It started out good, I liked the song they started with.
I like musicals, but, I also like a bit of dialogue, which this didn't seem to have.
After 20-30 minutes, we was like: another song ???
To me, it was basically, just 1 long dragged out song.

Visuals.
Well, they were ... odd, to say the least.
Freaky, at most times actually.
The "cats" on their own were fine, but as soon as they needed to interact with adult-size items, it just became so weird to look at.

Overall, I didn't think it was as bad as most reviews we seen, but it is "different".
And, to me, it felt very boring.

I'd still love to see the musical though.
As the costumes just look much better, and seeing a show live on stage, is just completely different.

lionloversam
April 26th, 2020, 10:49 PM
“The Odd Couple”. Wasn’t overly impressed with it. Entertaining, but I wouldn’t watch it again.

Kossu
May 2nd, 2020, 10:39 AM
"The wind rises". That movie was quite the emotional rollercoaster.:emo:

Also "Whisper of the heart" which always makes me feel warm and fuzzy.:timonlove:I'm on a Studio Ghibli roll, thanks to Netflix.:p

KanuTGL
May 3rd, 2020, 10:24 PM
Ooh, I love The Wind Rises <3

I watched From Russia With Love last night. Love a good old-fashioned Bond movie :p

Kossu
May 24th, 2020, 04:35 PM
Megamind.

I love this movie, watching it always cheers me up.

Kossu
September 27th, 2020, 12:25 PM
Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron. I love the Bryan Adams songs and soundtrack in general from this movie. Overall a pretty nice movie, though some recycled animation moments cannot be unseen.:vitsm:

KanuTGL
September 27th, 2020, 10:24 PM
I saw The World is Not Enough on TV last night. I still can't resist a cheesy Bond flick :p

Kossu
September 28th, 2020, 08:12 AM
But any Bond movie with Pierce Brosnan is irresistable.:haha:

Not exactly a movie, but I rewatched all of "Over the garden wall" yesterday. Pumpkins appearing everywhere and autumn weather finally settling in kind of caused that.:p
Love that autumn mini series and all of its songs.:)

nathalie
September 28th, 2020, 09:12 AM
We watched "the proposal" last night, just because of Sandra Bullock (love her, I think she's the most prettiest woman to rule the earth, haha!) and Ryan Reynolds (well, no explanation needed).

Missed it twice on TV last week, so really wanted to watch it now, lol.

We also seen "Girl on the train". I don't read books (not adult ones anyway), Adam had, so he thought it was interesting to watch.
Was really good.
I remember from a Mary Poppins Returns interview with someone, saying that, Emily was filming both at the same time at some point, and she'd come to the Mary Poppins set straight from the Girl on a train, looking a right "mess", lol.

"Goodbye Christopher Robin" we also seen. I'd already seen it, but it's a nice movie.
A LOT better then the other Christopher Robin where they CGI'd Pooh and his friends (to scary little monsters in my opinion).

We also seen "Buried". OMG!
Ryan Reynolds, and only Ryan Reynolds.
Now, I'm normally someone who loses interested in a movie extremely quick, and if nothing decent has happened to the story within 15 minutes I'm out.
But this, it didn't feel like I was watching it for 90 minutes, it felt it was over so fast, got me on the edge of my seat, as you really REALLY need to know what happens in the end.

KanuTGL
October 8th, 2020, 09:19 PM
But any Bond movie with Pierce Brosnan is irresistable.:haha:
Absolutely, I just can't stop laughing because they're soo cheesy :lol: I love it :p

Last movie I watched now was Peter Pan Return to Neverland. I don't know, I'm picking through the cheap sequels now that they're on Disney+ I guess XD This is one that I actually do like though. For the type of film that it was, I think they did a good job of continuity and writing Jane and her struggle. I like her a lot, even though the formula still is the "the kid is their parent in reverse" thing xD