PDA

View Full Version : Pixar's Brave

Leorgathar
June 28th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Okaaaaaay seems that while this year we got the disappointment Cars 2 was, Pixar was cooking something really interesting for their next project :ooo:

This looks so different than what Pixar usually does, and you know that? it got me really excited! I can't wait to find more about this movie :cheese:

Brave Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYg0VgPy6Uk&feature=player_embedded)

Azerane
June 28th, 2011, 12:08 PM
I have been waiting for a trailer for this movie for so long. I feel like it has been kept so much in the dark, and even with the trailer, it's still very secretive.

But wow, the animation looks amazing, the way that horse moves is beautiful. Her character design is gorgeous too! I'm looking forward to this! :D But summer 2012? That's a whole year away yet...

King Simba
June 28th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Quite a short trailer, but since it's so long before the film is released, that's to be expected. It also builds up the excitement as to what the story is actually about. I'm just glad to see something more promising from Pixar, and I agree... it seems very different to what Pixar normally do. :ooo: That's not necessarily a bad thing either.

I gotta say, the girl's character design doesn't look like a Pixar design at all, but it does all look pretty exciting, and as Azzy said, the animation is gorgeous. :) I'll be looking for more news on this when it becomes available. ;)

Wide Eyed Wanderer
June 28th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Oh look, it's a Scottish person, let's make them have red hair... :blah:

Anyhoo, I'm all for Pixar creating a multi-million dollar advert for the Scottish Tourist Board... :lol:

Lucy
June 28th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I'm so excited about Brave. The design just looks amazing, and yay Scotland!

But oi, I love Cars :p I seem to be the only one in the world, but I'm excited for Cars 2, lol.

KanuTGL
June 28th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Woha.

That... looks...

amazing.

I haven't really kept an eye on Brave; it's one of those "coming soon" titles I saw once when there was hardly a logo released, thought "Oh, cool." and then kind of forgot about it because its premiere was so far in the future xD But now I wish I hadn't - Brave looks absolutely fantastic. The landscapes, the character design, the animation. Just... wow. It doesn't look like your typical Pixar production style-wise, I think it has a bit more of a Tangled feel to it, but I don't mind that in the least, haha.

I'm ridculously excited about this film now. Can't waait 8D

Revo
June 28th, 2011, 09:24 PM
The trailer frankly shows too little for me to get excited about it. Sure, the landscape and the atmosphere etc. looks and feels amazing in the trailer.. But I think we all know how easy it is for a trailer this short to misrepresent a movie as a whole. As much as I would love for Pixar to do a serious animated film for a change (one that isn't a half-comedy), I know better than to expect one. But I will be looking forward to more trailers.

Dare
June 28th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Hmmm....I'm not crazy about the character design, but the atmosphere and landscape are impressive and I hear that this one is supposed to be bit darker than the other Pixar flicks...I may have to see this on the big screen.

HasiraKali
June 28th, 2011, 10:29 PM
They didn't show the trailer today, sadness. I saw it online the other day though. It looks interesting, but it's hard to really judge from the teaser. I'll be seeing it of course.

Also, I really liked Cars 2. I don't think it was a disappointment at all. :p

Aurelian
June 28th, 2011, 11:15 PM
A girl killing a bear... in a Disney/Pixar film? The film companies that practically worship animals? There is something they are not telling us...

I really can't judge this one way or another. I need more info on it.

HasiraKali
June 28th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Well there was bear killing in Brother Bear. That's kind of the catalyst for the plot. They haven't really announced all that many details aside from cast and some concept art either.

Utora
June 29th, 2011, 01:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki29GDDiYRA

http://www.theartofpixar.com/movies/thebearandthebow/

Kihari
June 30th, 2011, 03:15 AM
I saw this when we previewed Cars 2, but completely forgot about it until now. The first thing out of my mouth was, "So... what's that all about?"

I've never outright disliked any Pixar feature, so it'll definitely be worth a shot for me.

Sharifu
June 30th, 2011, 04:46 AM
A girl killing a bear... in a Disney/Pixar film? The film companies that practically worship animals? There is something they are not telling us...

I really can't judge this one way or another. I need more info on it.

What about Brother Bear? Or Bambi...? :p

This movie look neat, I look forward to see a more serious film from Pixar... The animation and scenery looks beautiful. I like the horse. :p

Simbaspirit
June 30th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Well the first trailer for finding nemo came out 2 years before it was released in theatres :p

I saw the trailer in theatres, and while it is intriguing, I hope to see another soon.

KanuTGL
June 30th, 2011, 09:22 PM
For those who are curious about the plot, this might shed some light on it: http://disney.go.com/brave/#/story

I'm still really excited 8D

Revo
June 30th, 2011, 09:40 PM
For those who are curious about the plot, this might shed some light on it: http://disney.go.com/brave/#/story

I'm still really excited 8D
:lol: at the name "Lord MacGuffin". Is that maybe supposed to be another clue about the focus of the story? Or maybe its just a joke..

Simbaspirit
July 3rd, 2011, 08:43 PM
hmm that sounds really cool!

nathalie
December 29th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I've just seen Brave last night.
Got it for Christmas from my parents.

Didn't knew what to expect, hadn't seen anything from this movie, I only knew it was something about bears? As I kept seeing those at Disneyland.

Untill just about 2 weeks ago, someone told me, that her mother and brothers turn into bears.

Well, I loved it!!
Love Merida, love the hair, the curlls, haha!
The accents, I love how it's all so original, original Scottish actors.
I love the music, I've always like that kind of type of music, and always love it when someone actually sings with an accent like that, like all songs you can just tell it's a Scottish accent and not just English.

I really liked the story behind it.
And once Merida found out about the other bear, I too was like: *gasp* it's about the other bear o_O haha

I did think the little brothers could have been a little different, maybe a bit more comical? Especially when being the bears maybe.
I don't know, something was missing with them ...

Immidiatly got the music, I'm loving it <3

And the ending song (don't know any names), I saw Mumford & Sons live last May, and really liked them, so I was also surprised to hear that that was them, hehe.

Oh, and John Ratzenburger ey ... he's in there too somewhere I saw on IMDB, lol.
It can't be a Pixar if it doesn't have John in it somewhere.

Revo
December 29th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Talk about a gravedigger thread..:P

I also saw it, albeit almost 2 months ago when the DVD released. I was sorta "meh" about it. It was cute, I guess. I liked the setting and the 2 main characters (archery is badass), but the story just never sucked me in in the way I'm used to with Pixar. And I couldn't get the nagging feeling, that I've seen this before in Brother Bear, off my neck. It wasn't bad, for sure. But i probably wouldn't watch it again.

Leorgathar
December 30th, 2012, 09:46 AM
I watched it along with KS about 2 weeks ago. I didn't think it was so bad, but yeah, the Pixar feeling was lacking from it.
I know the focus was on the mother-daughter relationship, but I would have liked for Merida's father to be more... Well, a father, and less a comic relief. More importantly, I would really have loved to see a more memorable villain.
Ah well, at least it gave me some good laughs, and the soundtrack is great.

Azerane
December 30th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Now that you mention it, I never really thought about the fact that there's not really a villain in it before. It's more herself that's the villain against herself. A life lesson so to speak.

Kasei
February 25th, 2013, 12:39 AM
I just thought the movie was beautiful. *_* I am a sucker for lovely animation--if it looks awesome, I'm pretty much sold on it unless the story sucks. Kind of like Dragon Wars, where I decide to just watch the movie on silence when I need to see pretty dragon animation. xD

But I actually really liked Brave, I watched it with my friends and all our Moms, funnily enough, xD It was a happy accident, but really appropriate considering the mother-daughter content. My mom and I thought it was funny because we are both pretty outdoorsy so we were like, "Just goes to show you--any relationship issue can be fixed by going on a camping trip!" Since that's basically what Merida and her Mom were doing during the bonding segment, hehe.

My only complaint about the movie is that I would've loved to have seen more/find out more about the witch. She seemed like an interesting character.

KanuTGL
February 25th, 2013, 10:36 PM
I expected more from Brave. There was nothing very original about the story, really, and some parts of it reminded me way too much of Brother Bear. You can still make a really nice film out of a story like this and I thought that if anyone could do it, it would be Pixar. I agree the visuals and animation are absolutely stunning, but there are several things about the story I would've done differently... It's even more of a disappointment since I was so excited about it when that first teaser trailer came out :C I've been debating whether to even get the BluRay, but I decided to do so the other day anyway, if more for the animation than anything else :P Even Pixar can't win them all I suppose.

Leorgathar
February 26th, 2013, 01:10 AM
And yet Brave won on pretty much every award for animation, now with an Oscar last night. I think there were other movies out there deserving it more. If anything, I'd say 2012 was actually good for stop-motion animation films (my second favourite kind of animation after hand drawn, hehe), with 'The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists', 'ParaNorman', and 'Frankenweenie' on the table. I would have liked for The Pirates! to get more attention, that was my personal favourite, but I think ParaNorman had a lot of potential (yeah, despite the silly name and looks, I still think it's a very good movie).

The only good credits I give to Brave is the stunning visuals and the soundtrack, but as for the story I prefer ParaNorman, at least it's much more moving

Kasei
February 26th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Man, I really fell off the animation bandwagon this past year, I was way too busy to see many movies at all and missed all three of those stop-motion films you mentioned. :( I will watch them eventually though, and the Pirates one actually looks really good! I'm not a huge fan of Aardman typically (don't know why, something about how everyone always looks slightly angry or stressed because of the way they do teeth maybe?) but I am super impressed by the animation in the trailer for that film.

Didn't know Brave won an Oscar, that's cool. It probably didn't deserve it, honestly, as much as I liked the animation. I also could have done without the mom turning into a bear. A wolf maybe, that would've been cool...but you'd think Pixar would know better since Disney has gone the Brother Bear route already. Then again I suppose BB didn't do all that great so maybe they were hoping that no one would remember it...?

nathalie
February 26th, 2013, 05:48 AM
I seem to be the only one who did not think of Brother Bear, not even once while watching Brave.

King Simba
February 26th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Yeah, I didn't like Brave much either. The animation was no doubt fantastic, so was the soundtrack, but the storyline seemed too unoriginal for me. I was a bit disappointed, as I was expecting so much more, but oh well. Here's to the next Pixar movie, whatever they have in store for us next.

I enjoyed Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists more, if I'm honest, so that should have won the Oscar instead. ;) I've never seen ParaNorman or Frankenweenie, so I can't comment on those.

KanuTGL
February 26th, 2013, 02:16 PM
I also could have done without the mom turning into a bear. A wolf maybe, that would've been cool...but you'd think Pixar would know better since Disney has gone the Brother Bear route already. Then again I suppose BB didn't do all that great so maybe they were hoping that no one would remember it...?
This. So much xP Once she turned into a bear, the film lost its appeal for me. Up until that point, it was a really lovely story about the bond between a mother and a daughter, but after that it just... turned weird. Or, I think it turned weird as soon as the witch appeared. She was just too out there for the film; her personality didn't fit in with the rest at all. They didn't have to turn Elinor into a bear at all. I think the film would still have worked with her as a human, they would just have had to think of another reason for her and Merida to hide away in the forest, be chased by Mor'du and bond...

Brother Bear is one of my favourite Disney films (yes, it is) and it may not have been the most successful film in cinemas, but it was clearly still popular enough to receive a silly DTV sequel, so Pixar definitely should've known better than to use bears as a central theme again. A line Merida says in Brave is even exactly the same as one in Brother Bear o.-

I am actually disappointed that Brave won the Oscar for Best Animated Feature, simply because of its story =/ I am happy about Brenda Chapman receiving it, but I enjoyed Pirates! so much more in comparison so I would much rather have seen the award go to them. (Speaking of the animation Oscars; yaaay, Paperman!!!)

So, yeah. It's a shame that Brave isn't as good as it should have been :C

nathalie
February 26th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Lol.
I'm totally the opositte.

I was all exhited when she turned into a bear, haha.
Maybe I didn't think of Brother Bear when watching Brave, because BB isn't even in my top 10 list (though, I love the songs).

And to me, it is as good as it should have been, hehe :)

Don't know the other movies yet.
They are all on DVD over here, I must go shopping!
(Pirates a band of misfits, Frankenweenie, Paranorman, and then waiting for Hotel Transilvania aswell)

Also, Pixar isn't Disney.
If it was purely Disney, then they should have known better and take another animal, so I guess they could "afford" it.

KanuTGL
February 26th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Also, Pixar isn't Disney.
Technically they are, since Disney owns them since a few years back :p I wouldn't be impressed if Pixar decided to base a film around talking royal lions either, and Brave vs Brother Bear is kind of like that for me. The premise is the same: human gets transformed into a bear and makes the journey they need to make in their new form, thus developing as a character. Elinor is accompanied by her daughter instead of a little bear cub brother and the main focus in Brave is really on Merida, but, eh. I'm not saying that these films are the same, because they certainly aren't, but there are enough similarities to bother me :C

And now it sounds like I hate Brave xD I really don't, there are lots of things I like about it, but I'm disappointed in what this film turned out to be as a whole. Like I've said, I thought Pixar could do better, and I expected them to.

So, enough about the bad sides I guess :P I've been listening to the soundtrack a fair bit recently and I agree it's awesome <3 I love the songs especially :)

Kasei
February 27th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Speaking of the animation Oscars; yaaay, Paperman!!!

Oh yay, did it win? I don't watch Oscars or Academy Awards or anything, but that is exciting! Good for them, I loved Paperman! Such a beautiful animated movie and it is SO nice to see 2D return (at least in some form) to the big screen in such a successful way. Something about watching drawings move across the screen....aaaah! Just love it. Now if only they were real drawings again. :(

nathalie
February 27th, 2013, 05:33 AM
It's really just how you see the movie yourself.
Clearly I see it in a very different way, hehe.

That's good, I'm always the oddball :p

KanuTGL
February 27th, 2013, 05:17 PM
After all this talk about Brave I decided to watch it yesterday, haha. And true, with some reminding I can see and understand the thoughts behind the story elements, but it still doesn't really win me over. Too much stereotyping and expected stuff :C Changing some cheap gags and some minor characters around (I mean that raven really steals the show, why didn't they make more use of him in his only scene?) and it could've been great, but it's those little things...

Darned if it doesn't make me want to draw bears everywhere though XD Gosh, they are beautifully done.