PDA

View Full Version : The "Mane" Event?

Katifa
October 23rd, 2005, 06:18 PM
Maybe there's a thread like this already, and if there is, it might be just as well 'cause no-one likes being told off for bumping an innocent thread like it's a little car at a carnival :idiot:

Anyway... we all know how well-loved TLK is the world over for its smoothly executed animation, heart-warming philosophical moments, oh-so-catchy musical numbers and characters you just wish you could hug, but what about another, often overlooked element of the film: style tips? Okay, so we know "The Timon" will never achieve quite the same popularity as "The Rachel," but who here can say they've never silently admired a Lion King character's (or even their animator's) ability to come up with such a perfect hairdo to reflect their personality, suit their overall appearance and still be practical for their royal duties... and all in a society where the word "shampoo" is literally completely unheard of? :cool:

My point is: if "best animated haircut" were a category in the Oscars, TLK would TOTALLY have mopped the floor with one character or another. :D

Per moi, t'was a close call between Simba and Pumbaa (and I mean REALLY close here people), since Simba does have hair... sorta similar to mine - not to brag, but it's so pretty and poofy and vision-obstructing :fini:, but the thing is, it doesn't really DO anything, does it? The bangs may have teeny tiny movements at certain times, but that's pretty much the end of it. And soo...

As usual, I'm gonna opt for Pumbaa all the way: even though it may not draw as much attention as Simba's gorgeous full-bodied crown of flames, "The Pumbaa" still reflects its grower's character in a few ways: it's not exactly prim or polished or even remotely clean, but look closely at certain moments in the Hakuna Matata sequence and TLK1 1/2 and it might prove to be more... *Elasigirl voice* flexible than meets the eye. At times, such as when Pumbaa says "Y'know, kid?..." ect., it tends to wave wildly without really paying attention to where it's going or what condition it gets itself into. At other times, it can look limp and shabby and in need of support - i.e., just before the ever-so-under appreciated "puppy eyes by the riverside" performance in TLK1 1/2 - but when it gets right down to it, it can behave itself, stay put proudly on top and realise its proper duty (in terms of character, think the dramatic moment in TLK 1 1/2: "I was about to ask you the same thing." *fangirl sigh*). Long story short: "The Pumbaa" is everything its pioneer is and more, and that's not only something that I'd give anything to run my fingers through if smell where no object, but something any self-respecting character designer ought to be proud of, intentional or not. :ayecapn:

(PS: Geez, is it Overanalyze Minor Details, Most Likely Getting One's Fact's Wrong, and Abuse the Italic Tag Day already? :uhno: Well, since my calender says it's not, and it's never lied to me before, don't bother following my example and being quite (uh-oh, italic abuse again!) so ramblingly fantarded. :bleen: )

(PPS: I've just realized... October 17th was the say I unintentionally woke up at six in the morning, decided to watch my TLKSE DVD to pass the time, felt an unimaginable wave of positive energy wash over me once the movie had finished, and declared myself a true-blooded TLK fan. :wow: I just didn't celebrate it on the day because... well, look at my post in the "Lion King Storyteller" thread. Here's to another happy year of incurable Pumbaaholism for 'Tifa-kun! :roars: )

mirta
October 23rd, 2005, 06:30 PM
I like Mufy?s mane

Daniel
October 23rd, 2005, 06:31 PM
KOVU BABY! *ahem*

ThiagoPE
October 23rd, 2005, 06:32 PM
kovu here too

King Simba
October 23rd, 2005, 06:34 PM
Gotta go for Kovu - his mane is smexeh. Simba comes in second, yuh-uh. :bleen:

unregistered user
October 23rd, 2005, 06:37 PM
for me it's muffy:p

nathalie
October 23rd, 2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Katifa
Maybe there's a thread like this already, and if there is, it might be just as well 'cause no-one likes being told off for bumping an innocent thread like it's a little car at a carnival :idiot:

Sorry to go off-topic or anything, but let me make it clear 1 more time: bumping a thread isn't a crime, as long as you bump it for a good reason, and not just a random word/phrase ;)

I'd rather have people actually using the search button, then the mods have to use it, and looking for the previous thread and merge it, because some members couldn't or wouldn't.

unregistered user
October 23rd, 2005, 06:47 PM
great i choose Nathalie Hair :p
just kidding :p
and yeah member need to use more search page :p and mod is a assistant remember?:p
im nath's Slave:rawr:

nathalie
October 23rd, 2005, 06:56 PM
I was gonna say something, but I'm not gonna ... hmm, slave, that might come in handy.

Never mind: on-topic now :) I just wanted to point that thing out I posted before.

LunarCat
October 23rd, 2005, 08:09 PM
kovu :kovusmile definitely.....no comparison

Katifa
October 23rd, 2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by King Simba
Gotta go for Kovu - his mane is smexeh. Simba comes in second, yuh-uh. :bleen:

Agreed-o-rama. :rawr:

nathalie
October 23rd, 2005, 08:16 PM
May I also point out that sigs can only have 10 lines of text if you don't use a banner (smiley equels 3 lines).

sorry ...

Lucy Lioness
October 23rd, 2005, 08:22 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a119/lucylioness2/Icons/simbagroovy.png
Oh yeeeaaah!

Lol.

la_reina
October 23rd, 2005, 08:46 PM
^:lol:

I voted for Kovu. It's cool :D

Sadiki
October 23rd, 2005, 10:19 PM
I just have to go with Simba ;)

unregistered user
October 23rd, 2005, 11:04 PM
Scar, I love how it rolls off his head and goes backwards, and how it's all scraggly and scruffy-ish. It gives him class.

Darkslash
October 23rd, 2005, 11:38 PM
The pic for "shenzi" is Banzai. But seriously, Shenzi has those 3 or 4 strands of "yeah I'm cool" hair.

Sorta like Kovu.

Lucy Lioness
October 23rd, 2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Darkslash
The pic for "shenzi" is Banzai. But seriously, Shenzi has those 3 or 4 strands of "yeah I'm cool" hair.

Sorta like Kovu.

It's Ed. :evilgrin:

But yeah, the hyena's have pretty funky hair.

Melody of Scar
October 24th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Scar. :evilgrin:

Because it's so slick and sleek, not huge and poofy like the rest of them. It's unique and stylish.

And sexy. :jejeje:

Shatara
October 24th, 2005, 12:28 AM
Dude. Vitani > All.

And that inclueds her hair :vitsm:

This Land
October 24th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Kovu definatly :kovusmile:

Katifa
October 24th, 2005, 11:37 AM
The pic for "shenzi" is Banzai.

So sorry 'bout that - it was just the closest thing to Shenzi I could find! :(

Originally posted by nathalie
May I also point out that sigs can only have 10 lines of text if you don't use a banner (smiley equels 3 lines).

sorry ...

No - I'M sorry! :alone: I just stupidly assumed that it wouldn't count since the text was so teeny... but I was wrong. :( Anyway, it's been fixed now, and again, sorry sorry SORRY - won't happen again. :ayecapn:

nathalie
October 24th, 2005, 11:53 AM
It's alright :) But that's why we have threads called "pawprint / sticky" ;)

Bahati
October 24th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Hmm, tough choice between Mufasa, Simba, and Scar. Mufasa has the regal style down, Simba follows on a similar but slightly more casual note, and Scar has the villainous, combed-back look.

Scar's got my vote for this poll. That mane does much to convey his personality.

Mabatu
October 24th, 2005, 02:05 PM
I ended up choosing Simba...but i'd say Kovu is a very close second :kovusmile :cheese:

Ralli
October 24th, 2005, 10:09 PM
I have to say...Mufasa...

Because during the stampede...when he gets knocked over at one point when he's going up to Simba in the tree, then he looks up...and his mane's "bangs" are all in his eyes some...I...thought that was pretty hot looking... xDD;

Off-Topic Note to Katifa: Ooh, I used to have a warthog fursona. 'Rahlee Niyani'. That was quite a while back ago. Hoorei for Pumbaa fans. :hakuna:

Darkslash
October 25th, 2005, 01:58 AM
The pic for "shenzi" is Banzai.
So sorry 'bout that - it was just the closest thing to Shenzi I could find!
Hey, I was wrong, too; it wasn't Banzai either, it was Ed.

va-kasi
October 25th, 2005, 02:26 AM
Tani, Kovu, Nuka :vitsm:

Melody of Scar
October 25th, 2005, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by Ralli
Because during the stampede...when he gets knocked over at one point when he's going up to Simba in the tree, then he looks up...and his mane's "bangs" are all in his eyes some...I...thought that was pretty hot looking... xDD;

Yanno... I have to agree with you there. He does look hawt in that scene.

BlueStef
October 25th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Mufasa for me :)

Akiko
October 25th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Vitani's hair is certainly an original :vitsm:

lionloversam
October 26th, 2005, 12:07 AM
I voted for nuka!

Ngatuny
November 8th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Yough choice but my vote goes for Tani.:vitsm: she just got's the spunk.

Simba22
November 8th, 2005, 01:27 AM
It was a tough decision but I went with Scar.

chaotic serenit
November 8th, 2005, 03:02 AM
I have to give credit where due - Simba's mane is very much him. All scruffy and out of sorts.

Well, until TLK2, where it looks like a giant, fuzzy pillow.

nafklt
November 10th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Rafiki! :hmm:

Azerane
November 10th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Tough decision between all the lions, as all their manes are spiffy. I really like Simba's how it hangs down and looks so good (he is one good looking lion ;)) but then I really like Scar's because it's so sleek and flyaway. I find it cool in the scene near the end when he's talking to Sarabi and he says "No you're just not looking hard enough" and he's looking back at her, his mane is flying in the wind and that combined with the lighting is just really cool. So yeah, I think I'm voting for Scar.

Katifa
November 28th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Utora
?it's all scraggly and scruffy-ish. It gives him class.
Bit of a paradox there, I admit?. But I say if Scar makes it work, and ultmimately that?s all that really matters :rawr:

Originally posted by nafklt
Rafiki! :hmm:
Crap; forgot about ?Fiki. :woeisme: I s?pose I didn?t bother with him purely because I wasn?t sure whether a beard counts as a hairdo ? but regardless, it?s a damn cool beard all right :-)

Originally posted by Ralli
IBecause during the stampede...when he gets knocked over at one point when he's going up to Simba in the tree, then he looks up...and his mane's "bangs" are all in his eyes some...I...thought that was pretty hot looking... xDD;

I?d have to agree with the ?hot? comment there? really makes you wish Muffy wore his hair like that more often, eh? =) Perhaps it?s just me, but I could?ve SWORN my symbolism senses tingles the last time I watched that scene? the thing about it is, in that scene Mufasa was literally minutes away from death, and his slightly ? for lack of a better word - misplaced bangs gave him quite a bit of a more youthful overall appearance, and we all know they say before you die, your whole life flashes before your eyes? or in them in this instance :lol:

Off-Topic Note to Katifa: Ooh, I used to have a warthog fursona. 'Rahlee Niyani'. That was quite a while back ago. Hoorei for Pumbaa fans. :hakuna:

Well then? would it interest you to know that I am also one of the, erm, ?lucky? few females to have Asperger?s Syndrome? :wow: Maybe we?ll continue this discussion through IM someday, but for now: let?s just say I should really ask my dad if he recalls giving his eldest daughter to a Kentuckian woman ;)

Tiikeri
November 28th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Scar's, obviously

Mushroom
November 28th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Scar's do rocks the world man.