PDA

View Full Version : Artist Dilema

Utora
June 10th, 2011, 07:52 PM
:headache:

I'm sure all artists experience this, maybe from time to time, or even for one large portion at a time; the inability to create ANYTHING, because you cannot project exactly what you visualize in your head. It's a sense of perfection, yes, but at the same time there's a greast deal of frustration to it. Personally, alot of it for me is doubt artistically speaking, that I'm getting worse than before, or I can't achieve what I want therefore it's "failed" where, in the art world there's hardly a "fail" or a "pass" unless it IS in fact, for art class itself.

:lol:

Is anyone going through this? How do you cope?

I've found that even just actually doodling really really bad things helps..I don't mean dirty things...:evilgrin: I mean for instance, you're VanGogh and you decide to draw stick figures...to remove all challeneges from yourself artistically. It relieves stress for me, but still...

Another issue is patience, do any of you have trouble simply because you want what you see right now and can't get it out on paper or the computer so you say eff it! :blah: and don't do anything at all? It's been an ongoing battle for a few years now for me, I can't find a sense of style I like in myself, I can't get anything to feel right and overall I feel as if my art is crap because it's not the way I visualize it, while all these other pieces of artwork are brilliant and somehow achieved...

((also don't know maybe this thread goes to an artsy area, non tlk art or tlk art...))

Guntur
June 10th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Sometime I deal with my artistic low self esteem! But for me the main problem are: lack of practice and discipline, and too much idea to stream down those hand muscle and end up losing the grip and rudiments.

On my advice on coping. all you need to do is sit straight take a deep breath and do some [rudiment] doodle, but do not do it on specific character or type... just allow your hand doing it thing while carefully monitor what you are doing!

As the conversation continue to help you [right now] I think you shouldn't stress out over time right now. If it involving time? Just extend the deadline instead give them incomplete piece as patience have the same price as gold!

as for Patience, I had that problem on making a hip hop beat like couple of year ago, In the end I realize that my beats are over produce with overdubbing. I also realize, in reality that Hip Hop beats are using [and inspiration] minimalism than I thought [and also my composition].
I usually back off from the PC from 2 minutes to 9 Minutes just to refresh my mind that storming on my mind and relief by either smoking or drinking water. that's a good way to cope and rejuvenate your interest on your project. Remember, if there's any problem regarding artistic ways of life, do not stress or pressure your self over issues or time. Remember, take your time in your life of a day to complete a beautiful art/composition of yours for better result.

Revo
June 10th, 2011, 10:30 PM
On the first problem you mentioned about feeling like getting worse, here's my advice on coping: Pick a section of art that you haven't really tried properly yet, and do something totally different for a change. If you've been drawing animals the whole time, try humans! Or machines, landscapes, calligraphy, logos, abstract pictures.. ! Same applies to the medium. If you've been doing digital art a lot, do traditional for some time. Pencils, watercolour, oil paint, sculptures, wire sculptures...

The point is to get you back into the beginner's mindset, which is always the best place to be mentally, if you ask me. When you begin something new, you always learn faster than when practicing something you are already more advanced in. This fast learning builds confidence in your abilities, which is a feeling that will improve everything else you do aswell. ;)
So as a positive side effect of this coping technique, you might actually find a new art-thing that you enjoy doing. And even if that doesn't happen, you will probably be better and produce better results when you go back to doing the stuff you were initially doing when you felt you were getting worse.:haha:

This works, for me, across different genres aswell. Once I've reached a slow point in my drawings, I'll turn towards my music. And when I'm uninspired in that department, I turn to poi dancing and other object manipulation arts that I do. Or I go find something totally new that I have never done before.:vitsm:

As for the frustration dilemma... no dice :lol:. I am a victim to it just as you are, with little to no advice to give.

King Simba
June 10th, 2011, 10:46 PM
If you've been doing digital art a lot, do traditional for some time. Pencils, watercolour, oil paint, sculptures, wire sculptures...
I can relate to this. For a while I haven't felt like drawing anything at all, but earlier this week I ended up buying myself a new sketch book to try out some traditional art for a change, and since then, I've been drawing everyday (on the same picture, and only for an hour at the most a day, but it's helping me get back into the rhythm again). It makes a nice change from doing digital art, but that doesn't mean to say I'll stop doing it. It's just something I'm trying to help get me back into the rhythm of drawing again. ;)

I often find myself picturing ideas in my head (whether they're from a dream or just my imagination) and no matter how much I think about it, I find myself not being able to portray them through my art very well, or at all. :woe: This really irritates me because I know I can draw anything I want so long as I put the time, effort and patience into it. I've done it in the past and I can do it again. I just seem to lack the motivation to sit and work on drawings nowadays, I think that's my problem, but trying out new things really does help. It helps you discover new abilities you never thought you could do, which helps to give you confidence. :) I'm considering trying out some painting at some point too.

Oh, and music is a big help. ;) I find I work better when I'm listening to music.

Azerane
June 11th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I understand exactly what you mean. Damn art block :p As much as I would love to be able to exactly portray every image on paper as I see it in my mind, I can't. But I find what really gets me wanting to draw again, is by looking at other art. I draw more TLK fanart when I browse TLKFAA more frequently etc. I guess it helps to give me ideas and with inspiration etc :)