PDA

View Full Version : Greetings/Gr??e/Groetjes!

Marijke Rose
October 8th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Hi, everyone,

I'm quite new here, having just found it today.. though I know a couple people where (**Waves to Leopatra and MehndiX**). I'm not really new to forums in general, nor VBulletin style, though (as you can see, I already managed to get my own avatar and signature), and I'm familier with BBCode.

I don't really post a whole lot, but I enjoy reading what other people have to say, and I will add my thoughts and comments when appropriate (I don't like to spread rumors, and I do not like to post about things I don't know, but love to learn).

Anyway, I guess I should tell a little bit about myself.. I'm female -if you haven't already guessed or saw it in my profile- and I just turned 26 on the 3rd of October. I like to draw and made my avatar. And I enjoy creating/coding webpages as well (HTML, primarily, I'm so boring).
Eventually, I hope to make my website into an art site, but right now it's just under construction. I have plans for it (frames, a hopefully better colour-scheme, some real content, some art...), but need to actually DO it.

I'm also a huge fan of languages, though I can only honestly claim to speak one fluently (English, supposedly). I am, however, taking German and have plans for a third language later on (Dutch, which I know a little bit of.. enough to make sense of some Dutch texts, but not enough to get all the details, and I am not capable of speaking anything more than greetings and a brief explanation of where I'm from, where I life and why -which puts my grasp of Dutch higher than my grasp of German. ^.~)

The reason for learning German first is because I live here in Germany (moved from America to Germany in the end of January of this year), and it will be usefull to speak the language.

Anyway, that's me. You can call me Marijke, if you wish.

And, since a lot of you seem to have your own characters, I thought I would add a little bit about my character. She is a white-cheetress (the same genetical fur-colour mutation that makes white-tigers and white-lions), that has tanzanyte or lavender coloured eyes, simply because I love that shade.
She technically has nothing to do with 'The Lion King', but she could be fit into TLK-based RP's.. I generally kept the character pretty flexible for this purpose, giving her an anthro form and a feral form (which are seperate, she is not capable of morphing between them) with seperate backgrounds.

BTW, I wanted to compliment the admins on their list of smilies. It's pretty nice to see a forum that uses smilies that are in theme, rather than just the standard ones.

LunarCat
October 8th, 2005, 07:44 PM
hey there! and welcome to lea! :D :cheese: you're bound to have fun ;)

ThiagoPE
October 8th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Welcome Marijke, have fun here

King Simba
October 8th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Hey there Marijke! I also like to draw. If you wanna see any of my artwork, the link is in my sig.

Jambo na Karibu katika Lea!

Darkslash
October 8th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Welcomes to Lea! I'm confident you'll enjoy returning several times per day...

Linkie
October 8th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Hello welcome to lea :hugs::cheese: .

Aurelian
October 8th, 2005, 09:25 PM
I don't know Leopatra or MendiX, but welcome to Lea. Seeing as you are no young newbie, I am hoping we won't have to pu down the rules for you! :lol:

Anyway, have fun! ;)

Marijke Rose
October 8th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Thank you, all, for welcoming me so warmly!

Leopatra posted in the thread about "TLK Paintings", actually. I don't know how active she and MehndiX are, though, it doesn't look like they post very often.

KingSimba, I will check out your art. ^.^

Roquivo, I've been reading the stickies and, of course, the TOS, so hopefully I will not make any mistakes. If I do mess up, however, please just let me know. But, I will try not to get out of line!

Aurelian
October 8th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Marijke Rose
Leopatra posted in the thread about "TLK Paintings", actually. I don't know how active she and MehndiX are, though, it doesn't look like they post very often.

You misunderstand, I know who they are. I just don't know them personally.

Marijke Rose
October 8th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Oh, I'm sorry, Roquivo, my bad!

Daniel
October 8th, 2005, 10:37 PM
willkommen zu Lea Halalela :p

Ich Hei?e Daniel, und ich bin sechzehn jahre alt. Ich Liebe Der K?nig der l?wen!

and my german ends about there :D

Kovu The Lion
October 8th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Welcome to the Forums Marijke Rose ^_^ I don't have any clue what the title said :E!!!! But oh well, probably i'm new here or something eh mate? :P

Have fun here, follow the rules, and stay cool :cool:

Marijke Rose
October 8th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Daniel
willkommen zu Lea Halalela :p

Ich Hei?e Daniel, und ich bin sechzehn jahre alt. Ich Liebe Der K?nig der l?wen!

and my german ends about there :D

Freut mich! Wie geht's Dir?

LOL! Mine isn't much better.

Originally posted by Kovu The Lion
Welcome to the Forums Marijke Rose ^_^ I don't have any clue what the title said :E!!!! But oh well, probably i'm new here or something eh mate? :P[b]

It is just 'Greetings' in English ("Greetings"), German ("Gr??e") and Dutch ("Groetjes"). ^.^

Originally posted by Kovu the Lion
Have fun here, follow the rules, and stay cool :cool:

Will do. ^.^

lion_roog
October 8th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Welcome to Lea! :cheese:

Have fun and abuse the smilies....and abuse me...:rawr:

Marijke Rose
October 8th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Thank you, Lion_Roog.
Graphical smilies aren't really my thing, but you never know. ^.^

Nala The Princess
October 8th, 2005, 11:34 PM
ooh a newbie :D Welcome, welcome, welcome again to the pridelands :cool:

Marijke Rose
October 8th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Thank you, Nala The Princess!

Shatara
October 8th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Heya Marijke! (can never shorten yer name right, so I'm gonna give up tryin xD)

Nice to see ya here...I pretty much lurk here myself...but then I pretty much lurk just bout everywhere, so x)

Aurelian
October 8th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Shatara

Sure you can. We coull all just call her Rose. And for the mushy members, Rosie. :evilgrin:

Marijke Rose
October 9th, 2005, 12:26 AM

Nice to see ya here...I pretty much lurk here myself...but then I pretty much lurk just bout everywhere, so x)
It can be shortened to Marij or 'Rijke, actually..

Now, not to make any accusations here, I just want to make this clear because it has come up in the past: No, you cannot shorten it to "Mari" because the "ij" is a combination sound... shortening "Marijke" to "Mari" would be like shortening "Stephen" to "Step".

Marijke is a Dutch name, BTW, and is pronounced: Mar-EYE-kuh
(Or, if you speak German, it's pronounced like the German name 'Mareike'.)

Originally posted by Roquivo
Sure you can. We coull all just call her Rose. And for the mushy members, Rosie. :evilgrin:
LOL! If you want to...

EDIT: This is completely unrelated to the above part of this post, but I wanted to mention that I've seen other names I recognise here! IrishKiara, Mamela (Bonnie), and I THINK I know Shatara, but am not positive. There are others too. ^.^

nathalie
October 9th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Hey there Marijke, welcome to Lea.

Please read the rules first and the sticky's (standard procedure *lol*) and everything will be perfect :)

Marijke Rose
October 9th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Thank you, Nathalie!

I have been reading the stickies and stuff, as said. ^.^

nathalie
October 9th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Awsome :bleen: So nothing can go wrong then :D

*lol* j/k :)

Marijke Rose
October 9th, 2005, 12:46 AM
LOL!! I hope not, at least. ^.^
I will try my best.

EDIT: Is there a forum where you can post about your life? Like, make announcements about things that have happened? "It's my Birthday!", "I got a new job", "I passed my exams", "I have a new little brother/sister!", "I got grounded -.-", etc...?

nathalie
October 9th, 2005, 12:52 AM
Birthday threads are mostly opened in "Upendi", other normal regular stuff is mostly posted in "Scar's Liar".

Marijke Rose
October 9th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Ah, thank you very much, Nathalie. ^.^

lion_roog
October 9th, 2005, 02:21 AM
Thank you, Lion_Roog.
Graphical smilies aren't really my thing, but you never know. ^.^

Cool...The smilies are sooo cute :cheese:

Marijke Rose
October 9th, 2005, 02:47 AM
*Nods* As said, I like them, but I just don't really use graphical ones.

I think the ones on Lea Halalela are very nice, well done, original and I like that they stuck with the TLK theme. ^.^

unregistered user
October 9th, 2005, 03:03 AM
can i call you Mrs Rose :D
anyway welcome to the club :p
well if you need to go to the toilet.. walk downstair straight.. turn left :D
if you need to find me :p err.. just remember me in your head :p

Sombolia
October 9th, 2005, 04:00 AM
Wow.. German and Dutch.. two of my most prominent heritages. ;)

Sie Willkommen zu Lea Halalela, Marij. Ich lebe in Amerika selbst, aber ich habe versucht, auf meinem Deutsch aufzupolieren k?rzlich. Ich bin nicht sehr gut, aber ich hoffe zu verbessern.

I know, that was bad. :P I've been teaching myself, and I have to use an online translator for words I don't know. :/

MehndiX
October 9th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Welcome to the board. Nice to see another familiar face : )

Yeah, I'm not much of a poster, much like every other board I go to, I have little to say : p

nathalie
October 9th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Ah, thank you very much, Nathalie. ^.^

No problem :)

If you need any help, everyone will be glad to help you out :)

Marijke Rose
October 9th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Fendi
can i call you Mrs Rose :D
anyway welcome to the club :p
well if you need to go to the toilet.. walk downstair straight.. turn left :D
if you need to find me :p err.. just remember me in your head :p
If you would want to use a last name, that'd be 'Brandfuchs'. ^_^

LOL!!

Originally posted by Sombolia
Wow.. German and Dutch.. two of my most prominent heritages. ;)
Kewl! ^.^
Neither are in my heritage.. at least, not close enough to count.

Sie Willkommen zu Lea Halalela, Marij. Ich lebe in Amerika selbst, aber ich habe versucht, auf meinem Deutsch aufzupolieren k?rzlich. Ich bin nicht sehr gut, aber ich hoffe zu verbessern.

I know, that was bad. :P I've been teaching myself, and I have to use an online translator for words I don't know. :/
Ahhh, that explains it (online translator). Because I am pretty sure you'd not say "Ich lebe in Amerika".. Unfortunately, I don't recall the German word for "woon".. I guess it'd be "Ich wohne".

And, I really wish I could reply properly to you in German, but an articulate reply is beyond my German capabilities. ^.~

Originally posted by MehndiX
Welcome to the board. Nice to see another familiar face : )

Yeah, I'm not much of a poster, much like every other board I go to, I have little to say : p
Thank you, MehndiX. ^.^ It's good to see you too.

I know the feeling.

nathalie
October 9th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Yep, "live" in German is "wohnen" or "leben". :)

I speak it, but write it, that's a different thing.

Sombolia
October 9th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Ha, thanks. ^^; Online translators are crap, but I hope I got the point across. =|

Marijke Rose
October 9th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by nathalie
Yep, "live" in German is "wohnen" or "leben". :)

I speak it, but write it, that's a different thing.
Doesn't 'leben' mean 'life? Like 'a life'? "Ein leben?"

And 'wohnen' means 'to live'?

I don't think they're interchangeable.. For example, I've never heard someone say "Ich lebe in Amerika".. but rather "Das ist ein leben; mein leben", right? Like in Dutch..
(I can, of course, ask my fianc? when he has time, to find out for sure.)

Ha, thanks. ^^; Online translators are crap, but I hope I got the point across. =|
LOL Yes, you did as far as I can tell. ^.~

Marijke Rose
October 9th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Sorry to double-post, but I talked to my fianc? a moment again, and you CAN say "Ich lebe in Amerika" or "Ich wohne in Amerika", both are proper.

But, "wohnen" refers to a place (you can even say "Das ist mein wohnung" or something like that, I might have the case wrong and he had to run before I could ask him).. and "leben" is live/life.

Shatara
October 10th, 2005, 01:35 AM
It can be shortened to Marij or 'Rijke, actually..

Now, not to make any accusations here, I just want to make this clear because it has come up in the past: No, you cannot shorten it to "Mari" because the "ij" is a combination sound... shortening "Marijke" to "Mari" would be like shortening "Stephen" to "Step".

Marijke is a Dutch name, BTW, and is pronounced: Mar-EYE-kuh
(Or, if you speak German, it's pronounced like the German name 'Mareike'.)...and someday, I'm actually going to remember that x)

Keep forgetting its a germanic 'j'...x.x

EDIT: This is completely unrelated to the above part of this post, but I wanted to mention that I've seen other names I recognise here! IrishKiara, Mamela (Bonnie), and I THINK I know Shatara, but am not positive. There are others too. ^.^ Yes, you know me :p I'm on CC, and used to be on Wildfury...I've twice mis-shortened yer name, hence the giving up x)

nathalie
October 10th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Doesn't 'leben' mean 'life? Like 'a life'? "Ein leben?"

And 'wohnen' means 'to live'?

I see you already found it :)

But those are the verbs I gave, so it will become:
* Ich lebe in ...
* Ich wohne in ...

Nephilim
October 10th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Ahhh good ol' German lessons. x) Hija.

Marijke Rose
October 10th, 2005, 05:25 PM
...and someday, I'm actually going to remember that x)
LOL!! *Pets* It's easier if you had to get used to the "ij" from learning the language itself.

Keep forgetting its a germanic 'j'...x.x
Now I want to know how you've been pronouncing it! ^.^;;

Yes, you know me :p I'm on CC, and used to be on Wildfury...I've twice mis-shortened yer name, hence the giving up x)
Ooohhh, ok. I KNEW your name was ringing bells!

I see you already found it :)

But those are the verbs I gave, so it will become:
* Ich lebe in ...
* Ich wohne in ...
Ah, thank you. ^.^

In Dutch, it's
"Ik woon in.." ("I live in..") and
"Ik komm uit.." ("I come from.." or "I'm from...")

"Ik komm uit Amerika, maar ik woon in Duitsland met mijn maan." - "I come from America, but I live in Germany with my husband."

And, I am willing to bet that you could say the exact same thing in German (same words, just the German equivalent instead of the Dutch words; and possibly the same structure.) but I am not positive. (As said, my Dutch is better than my German.)

EDIT: (I missed this reply before whilst I was typing my reply)

Originally posted by Nephilim
Ahhh good ol' German lessons. x) Hija.
German lessons are good!

nathalie
October 10th, 2005, 05:35 PM
In Dutch, it's
"Ik woon in.." ("I live in..") and
"Ik komm uit.." ("I come from.." or "I'm from...")

"Ik komm uit Amerika, maar ik woon in Duitsland met mijn maan." - "I come from America, but I live in Germany with my husband."

Actually "komm" is with only 1 M: kom
And "maan" is: man

:)

And yeah, German looks like Dutch, in my dialect there are many German words, whenever we went to Aachen, we could sometimes just speak our dialect and people would understand most things we said.

Marijke Rose
October 10th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Actually "komm" is with only 1 M: kom
And "maan" is: man

:)
You're right, "komm" is German.. oops!
And right again, "maan" is "moon"... ^.^;;;
Two mistakes I never made before I started learning German.. "Moon" and "Mouth" are always confusing me now.. Because:

Mouth - Mond (NL), Mund (DE)
Moon - Maan (NL), Mond (DE)

I still crack up when I think of the Die Prinzen song: "Der Mann im Mond"...

And yeah, German looks like Dutch, in my dialect there are many German words, whenever we went to Aachen, we could sometimes just speak our dialect and people would understand most things we said.
*Nods* I've noticed that certain dialects here in Germany resemble Dutch very, very closely. Particular the dialects coming from the areas that border Holland.

Plus, both come from some really old Germanic language, anyway.. (of course, so does English, but it developed further away from German and Dutch..)

Of you look at the Dutch national anthem, though... the questions (that make Dutchies quite cranky or even downright furious) begin to arise... (I know this firsthand... o.o)

Marijke Rose
October 10th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Thank you, SimbaTheLion. ^.^ It'd be kewl to be friends.

Monai
October 10th, 2005, 07:16 PM
I'M INSANE.

Uhm, yeah, hi there! ^^

Ngatuny
October 10th, 2005, 07:27 PM
:alone: Sorry I'm late in welcoming you Marijke, but please be welcomed and I hope you enjoy your stay here.:D:cheese:

Marijke Rose
October 10th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Monai
I'M INSANE.

Uhm, yeah, hi there! ^^
LOL! Hi there. Insane is good! ^.~

Originally posted by Ngatuny
:alone: Sorry I'm late in welcoming you Marijke, but please be welcomed and I hope you enjoy your stay here.:D:cheese:
Better late than never, no? ^.~
Thank you. You're a cheetah too?

Sadiki
October 10th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Welcome to Lea... it seems you have had time to post quite a lot already ;)

Marijke Rose
October 10th, 2005, 11:13 PM
*Chuckles* Well, replying to this thread. ^.~

Otherwise, I think I've only posted in a few other topics. I was going to try to catch up to all the birthday topics, but decided it'd be easiest to just reply to new ones.. LOL!

After this thread has lived it's life, my posting will probably go way, way, way down. ^.~

nathalie
October 11th, 2005, 04:28 AM

*Nods* I've noticed that certain dialects here in Germany resemble Dutch very, very closely. Particular the dialects coming from the areas that border Holland.

Not only the border with the Netherlands...

1 of Belgium's official languages is German, and there is a small part of Belgium, in which (only) Germans live *tadaaa* next to the German border *hehe* :cheese:

And where I used to live, was only 40 minutes from Aachen, so about 30 from the actualy border with Germany.

Marijke Rose
October 11th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Belgium borders Holland.

I know some parts of Belgium speak Dutch and other parts speak French as well. But, I've never been to Belgium.

I have been to the (West) Friesland in the Netherlands, though. That's like stepping into another country altogether (lots of buildings display the flag of Friesland, there; plus the language is different, though everyone there speaks Dutch also). I've not been to the (East) Friesland in Germany, though.

nathalie
October 11th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Yes, Belgium is devided in 3 parts, a tiny bit German (next to the German border), a huge bit Flemmish (Dutch, but we use other words and stuff, like UK-English and US-English) to the border with The Netherlands, and then the other part is French wich is lying next to France.

Oh yeah, Fries, I don't get 1 word of that :cheese: *lol*

Marijke Rose
October 11th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Oh yes, that's right.. Flemmish. I have heard the language, so I know how close to Dutch it is. Along with different words, the language is also softer (the 'G's are pronounced much softer than in Dutch, as are the 'ch's.) Otherwise, it's easy to understand if you know Dutch.

I have a song in Flemmish ("Ik ben hier" by Joost Zweegers), but I have heard other stuff in Flemmish as well.

nathalie
October 11th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Yeah, you can compare Dutch to Brittish and Flemmish to American.
Something like that.

And yeah, we have a "normal" G, and also in some parts of The Netherlands, they say a "normal" too, the higher you go, to sooner you will hear that "ch / r" sound.

Marijke Rose
October 11th, 2005, 01:07 PM
I suppose you could compare them that way, but I had never thought of doing so before. *Chuckles*

What "ch/r" do you mean? o.o
All I know of is the normal, Noord-Holland "ch" sound, which is much like the Noord-Holland "g" sound.

Sometime, I will likely get to visit a campground in Zeeland.. not sure which town, though.
Where I am living in Germany, we are very close to the Dutch town of Nijmegen (which is in Gelderland, no?).

I miss Holland so much...

nathalie
October 11th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Well, you call it a 'ch' sound, we call it more like an 'r' sound :)

But the places near Belgium, don't have that sound, they use a normal G sound. (with a Dutch accent though *lol*)

I have no idea at all, where certain places are in Holland :D , I only know Maastricht, since I used to live 15 minutes away.

ThiagoPE
October 11th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Now you touched in that subject, i need to tell you that: this thing of the people of Europe, of so much difernt culltures, of so much diferent languages, can be so much... united.
Here in my country is just you cross the border of your state to be disrespected and discriminated.

nathalie
October 11th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I think you'll find that in every country. I know Belgium people who don't like the people from The Netherlands, or who don't like Germans ...

Even inside of Belgium, all people don't like each other, especially because of the different dialects we got here.

This Land
October 11th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Gutentag, :cheese: wilkommen!!! Veges?
(sorry for bad spelling :lol:)

I hope you enjoy lea and have a good time :cheese:

Monai
October 11th, 2005, 06:28 PM
True nath. Like in England, the south (stereotypically) hates the north, and vice-versa. XD

Marijke Rose
October 11th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Well, you call it a 'ch' sound, we call it more like an 'r' sound :)
Wow, it doesn't sound anything like an 'r' to me, *Chuckles* Even a Dutch or German 'r'. The 'ch' in German is more like a hissing sound (like a cat makes when it hisses), and the Dutch 'ch' is more... gutteral, very rough.. sorta like when someone is bringing up a lewgie (American term for the exaggerated hacking up phlegm to spit out).. in Flemmish, it seemed to be a rough-hissing sound.

But the places near Belgium, don't have that sound, they use a normal G sound. (with a Dutch accent though *lol*)
Always sounds like the German "ch" in "ich". But, that might have just been the way the person I've heard pronounced it, rather than the normal Flemmish pronunciation. o.o

I have no idea at all, where certain places are in Holland :D , I only know Maastricht, since I used to live 15 minutes away.
Ah, I see. I spent a Summer (in 2003) IN Holland, but have tried to make myself familier with the Geography for the last 3 years.

Originally posted by ThiagoPE
Now you touched in that subject, i need to tell you that: this thing of the people of Europe, of so much difernt culltures, of so much diferent languages, can be so much... united.
Here in my country is just you cross the border of your state to be disrespected and discriminated.
Europe is also different from America in this regard. America is very, very snippy about their borders. Especially in regards to people south of the border. But up north, Canada and America are barely tollerating each other.. like two rival cousins stuck at a family reunion.

I think you'll find that in every country. I know Belgium people who don't like the people from The Netherlands, or who don't like Germans ...

(Snip)
As you mentioned, the Dutch and Germans. They generally get along with each other, but the Dutch, ESPECIALLY the older generations, hold quite the grudge. Though, I think it is generally not too dangerous for a German to go places in Holland - and of course, in my experience ALL generations of Dutchies get offended if you confuse them with Germans (to the point where if you make a simple mistake, like "Isn't 'hart' German?" they will stone you to death... in the not-good way).. I heard there are places in England where it is not advisable to go if you are German..

And, of course, the Dutch have all their anti-Belgian jokes. I don't remember any right off the top of my head, but they get pretty silly.

I think every where you go there will be some sort of tension between one group and another.. the only question really is: how dangerous does the rivalry get? In some places, it can be a threat to your health (as in, some place in England where some of the British are known to beat up Germans.. And, of course, there are wars over this very thing going on in the now.) o.o

Originally posted by This land
Gutentag, :cheese: wilkommen!!! Veges?
(sorry for bad spelling :lol:)

I hope you enjoy lea and have a good time :cheese:
Guten Tag! Freut mich.
Ich danke Dir f?r die sch?ne Gr??e!
Ich bin sehr gut! Und wie geht's Dir?

(Since this board is primarily English-speaking, I will now provide the translation of what I hope I actually said:
"Good day! Pleased to meet you.
I thank you for the nice greetings!
I'm doing very good! And how are you?")

You're spelling is forgiven, but I should warn you that I had trouble figuring out what "veges" was.. I had to say it out loud. I assume you meant "Wie geht's?". ^.~

ThiagoPE
October 11th, 2005, 10:15 PM
[i]Europe is also different from America in this regard. America is very, very snippy about their borders. Especially in regards to people south of the border. But up north, Canada and America are barely tollerating each other.. like two rival cousins stuck at a family reunion.
[/B]

Heeheehe, just a warning, im not american, im brazilian, and i was talking about my country.

Just to tell an example: Recentily i was at Rio grande do north state and there in the radio thee govcernor of them was speaking ill of my state (pernambuco). i got very sad with that

unregistered user
October 12th, 2005, 04:57 AM
First off I'd like to say; "German food ownz all!" XD

Salutations, and welcome to LH. "Please buckle your seat belts & remain seated until the ride comes to a full stop, thank you and enjoy the ride." ^_^'

Marijke Rose
October 12th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Heeheehe, just a warning, im not american, im brazilian, and i was talking about my country.

Just to tell an example: Recentily i was at Rio grande do north state and there in the radio thee govcernor of them was speaking ill of my state (pernambuco). i got very sad with that

I noticed that you were from Brazil in your profile. ^.^
I hope you will not mind an ignorant American question, but.. What languages do you guys speak down there? I would guess Spanish, but is that your main spoken language? And, what are the common minority languages? (I read something once about Brazil in this regard a few months ago or so, but I do not remember.)

That sucks that someone on the radio spoke bad about your state.

Originally posted by SoniqueX
First off I'd like to say; "German food ownz all!" XD

Salutations, and welcome to LH. "Please buckle your seat belts & remain seated until the ride comes to a full stop, thank you and enjoy the ride." ^_^'
Thank you and hello. ^.^

German food does rock, especially German bread, but a lot of the traditional dishes seem very salty to me.. (like their soups and stews.. especially the one that has the little sausages and lentil beans in it..)

Some of the pastries I've tasted are really good too.. though I have to say that a Dutch Stroopwafel owns ein Berliner any day. ^.~

And I kinda like Dutch Kroketten better than the German variety (they are very different, though.. Dutch Kroketten has some kind of thick soupy center that can be vegetable or meat-based, and is deep fried and sold as a snack food in the snack shops, and the German variety is about bite-sized and is filled with mashed potatoes, and you can deep fry it --both are yummy though. ^.^).

I must try more German food!

dlb117
October 12th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Sorry for my delay Marijke, I had a computer crash! Anyway, Welcome to Lea Halalela! I can see that you are already having fun here, so my usual greeting dosen't work! So...Uhh... well, welcome, and have more fun anyway!:cheese:

Marijke Rose
October 12th, 2005, 06:04 PM
LOL! It's okay, I know how computer crashes can be (I'm running Linux now, and loving it, because Windows is untrustworthy, Apple has betrayed me and called it 'OSX' {or 'Cheetah', 'Mountain Lion', 'Jaguar', 'Panther', 'Tiger'..}) And, thank you, dlb117.

I was a Mac User... loved MacOS Classic, and was excited about OSX... until I couldn't find a simple way to do anything (their simple-standard text editor, for example, cannot do as much as SimpleText, yet is a much larger file). At least they fixed the multitasking problem, because you can -in a way that is superior to Windows XP (but inferior to Linux)- multitask.. o.o
And they added the multi-user system, which is neat, and the fact that it's based on Unix (FreeBSD) is kinda neat. But the amount of programs available (there is nothing that is 'simple' and 'basic', and anything good requires the latest version of OSX) and backwards compatibility is... saddening, to put it in the most gentle way.

And, I admit that SimpleText wasn't that great, but I couldn't find anything comparable to TextPad 4 (Windows) or GEdit (Linux, GNOME) either. I tried out a few free 'simple HTML editors', like "Taco", and they wanted to control the HTML code too much for my taste (I like an HTML editor to just... let me do whatever I please, write all the raw code myself, and see if it works in my browsers the way I want it to or not).

Unfortunately, my fave FTP client is for Windows (it was FTP Commander, the free version, which was simple, showed side-by-side local and remote host file-lists; and let me change the language around as I liked -for example, I adjusted it to the Dutch language pack, only flipping back to English when I was having trouble with something), and I haven't found anything comparable yet..

Heh, sorry.. I hope that wasn't too off-topic.. it shouldn't be too bad, because computers and webpages are big interests of mine, along with languages, but I'd have gotten in trouble for this post on other forums.

Nathalie, if it's too off-topic with all the computer talk, just let me know and I will cease to discuss it in this thread. I really don't want to annoy people, but I wanted to express some of my interests that I hadn't really done so before.

nathalie
October 12th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Well, off-topic happens, and as long as it has content, like your post then it's fine by me.

Sometimes, things can go off-topic, and actually go about nothing at all.

Marijke Rose
October 12th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Thank you, Nathalie. ^.^

And, yes, I've seen that happen.. we had a problem with it on a forum I co-adminstrate at.

ThiagoPE
October 12th, 2005, 11:10 PM
I noticed that you were from Brazil in your profile. ^.^
I hope you will not mind an ignorant American question, but.. What languages do you guys speak down there? I would guess Spanish, but is that your main spoken language? And, what are the common minority languages? (I read something once about Brazil in this regard a few months ago or so, but I do not remember.)

hehehe, your question is not ignorant,

Well, here in south america, excluding Brazil ( Brazilian Portuguese), Guiana (English), Freench Guiana (French) and suriname (Dutch) all other countries speaks spanish.

The "brazilian" portuguese is diferent from portugal one in sound, gramar and some words, we can understand each other but, the high acennt of portugal people makes the understanding of portuguese people a dificult job for brazilian ears.

Example - lion king song in portugal portugase -
http://lila.thpe.net/tlkmusics/portugues%20portugal/Portuguese%20(European)%20-%20TLK1%20-%2002%20Eu%20mal%20posso%20esperar%20para%20ser%20 rei.mp3
Same lion king song in brazilian portuguese -
http://midia.thpe.net/musicas/Rei%20Leao/Portugues%20Brasil/1/Elton%20John,%20Hans%20Zimmer%20-%20Ich%20will%20jetzt%20gleich%20K%f6nig%20sein%20-%2002.mp3

Yes, there is also a lot of few comunities and cities here that speaks other languages, i can?t remeber any exaples, but some cities 9mainly in the south of brasil, have languages as german, italian and even spanish as the most used languages there.

nathalie
October 13th, 2005, 08:02 AM
I love Can you feel the love tonight, in both versions :D *hehe*
Although, those are actually, kind of, the same.

ThiagoPE
October 13th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Well, the lryic is almost the same, but, as you can hear, the acent is very siferent... and is this accent that makes us, brazilian, don?t undertsand well the portuguese

Sharifu
October 13th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Ooh... Hi there Marijke Rose! This topic sure was interesting to read! About languages and different cultures... :D (I love the smilies here too! It's so neat how they fit the theme of this forum)

Speaking about Holland, my dad's ex-girlfriend told me and my boyfriend that she has a house in Holland. (Her parent's house I believe she said) She told us we can stay there whenever we want! :lol:

I've never been to Europe before, or out of the US for that matter... But I want to go to Europe next summer. I want to go to the Disneyland Paris Lea Meeting, and go to Finland, since my boyfriend lives in Finland. (Maybe England too, if I can make enough money by then) I can't wait! I love to travel and see new things!

Marijke Rose
October 13th, 2005, 04:21 PM
hehehe, your question is not ignorant,
I'm flattered that you think it's not ignorant. ^.^

Well, here in south america, excluding Brazil ( Brazilian Portuguese), Guiana (English), Freench Guiana (French) and suriname (Dutch) all other countries speaks spanish.
That is very interesting. I knew I had read that there was quite a mix of different languages spoken there, but I wasn't sure.

The "brazilian" portuguese is diferent from portugal one in sound, gramar and some words, we can understand each other but, the high acennt of portugal people makes the understanding of portuguese people a dificult job for brazilian ears.
Ahh, I understand that problem. *Chuckles*

Example - lion king song in portugal portugase -
http://lila.thpe.net/tlkmusics/portugues%20portugal/Portuguese%20(European)%20-%20TLK1%20-%2002%20Eu%20mal%20posso%20esperar%20para%20ser%20 rei.mp3
Same lion king song in brazilian portuguese -
http://midia.thpe.net/musicas/Rei%20Leao/Portugues%20Brasil/1/Elton%20John,%20Hans%20Zimmer%20-%20Ich%20will%20jetzt%20gleich%20K%f6nig%20sein%20-%2002.mp3
I get a page with a "404 error" ("File does not exist"), so I cannot hear those songs you posted.

Yes, there is also a lot of few comunities and cities here that speaks other languages, i can?t remeber any exaples, but some cities 9mainly in the south of brasil, have languages as german, italian and even spanish as the most used languages there.
Ahh, I see.

Thank you very much for answering my question, ThiagoPE. ^.^

Originally posted by Sharifu
Ooh... Hi there Marijke Rose! This topic sure was interesting to read! About languages and different cultures... :D (I love the smilies here too! It's so neat how they fit the theme of this forum)
Hi there, Sharifu. ^.^

I'm glad you enjoyed the topic! As you can see, I really love language and culture, and there is so much about it to learn. It's really fascinating.

Speaking about Holland, my dad's ex-girlfriend told me and my boyfriend that she has a house in Holland. (Her parent's house I believe she said) She told us we can stay there whenever we want! :lol:
LOL! Lucky you! That is really kewl. ^.^

If you ever get a chance, you should take her up on her offer and visit.

I've never been to Europe before, or out of the US for that matter... But I want to go to Europe next summer. I want to go to the Disneyland Paris Lea Meeting, and go to Finland, since my boyfriend lives in Finland. (Maybe England too, if I can make enough money by then) I can't wait! I love to travel and see new things!

I hadn't been out of the US before going to Holland in 2003, actually. ^.^ I was so scared and excited at the same time!

Your boyfriend is Finnish? That's kewl! Finnish is a really beautiful language, but quite complicated. (I have a friend who moved from Finland to Holland to be with her boyfriend and she's sent me some music and occasionally posts in her LiveJournal in Finnish, and I usually read it even though I don't understand a word!)

If you do get a chance to visit another country, I say you should jump on the opportunity! It can be scary, but it is SO worth it!

The Paris Lea meeting looks kewl, but I do not think I will be able to make it.. which sucks, because I would enjoy the experience. (Though I am nervous about France and their airport.. Charles DeGall or however it's spelled, *Hides* I had a connecting flight there when I was going back home from Holland, and I had a lot of trouble finding my way through it -even when asking for help, it was still a labyrinth and the people I talked to weren't the most helpful people I've ever talked to... they tried, but the language barrier was a problem.)

ThiagoPE
October 13th, 2005, 09:16 PM
I get a page with a "404 error" ("File does not exist"), so I cannot hear those songs you posted.

The problem is because the links are too big and lea softeware are not recognizing it.

Try copy paste these urls to your browser adress bar

Marijke Rose
October 14th, 2005, 12:01 AM
I still get 404 Errors, unfortunately. o.o

ThiagoPE
October 14th, 2005, 12:06 AM
@.@

I think the only way you have is go manualy to the songs

Portugal portuguese version
http://lila.thpe.net/tlkmusics/
Then click "portugues portugal"
Then click "Portuguese (European..>"

Brazilian
http://midia.thpe.net/musicas/
Then click "Rei Leao"
Then click "Portugues Brasil"
Then click "1"
Then click "Elton John, Hans Zim..>"

Sharifu
October 14th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Your boyfriend is Finnish? That's kewl! Finnish is a really beautiful language, but quite complicated. (I have a friend who moved from Finland to Holland to be with her boyfriend and she's sent me some music and occasionally posts in her LiveJournal in Finnish, and I usually read it even though I don't understand a word!)

If you do get a chance to visit another country, I say you should jump on the opportunity! It can be scary, but it is SO worth it!

Hehe yes... My boyfriend is Finnish... He's the member SimbaTheMighty, he even replied to this thread. Finnish does sound like a pretty langauage. I've listened to "He Lives in You" in Finnish and I really liked it.

Hehe yeah I think traveling to Europe would be scary, if I was going by myself! But going with STM, I will feel much better. ^_^

Btw, I really like your banner! Do you have a TLKFAA gallery?

Marijke Rose
October 14th, 2005, 01:13 PM
@.@

I think the only way you have is go manualy to the songs

Portugal portuguese version
http://lila.thpe.net/tlkmusics/
Then click "portugues portugal"
Then click "Portuguese (European..>"

Brazilian
http://midia.thpe.net/musicas/
Then click "Rei Leao"
Then click "Portugues Brasil"
Then click "1"
Then click "Elton John, Hans Zim..>"

W00T! That worked, thank you very much. ^.^
As soon as they are downloaded, I will listen to them.

The title of the second one looks German, to me. o.o
"Elton John, Hans Zimmer - Ich will jetzt gleich K?nig sein"

Hehe yes... My boyfriend is Finnish... He's the member SimbaTheMighty, he even replied to this thread. Finnish does sound like a pretty langauage. I've listened to "He Lives in You" in Finnish and I really liked it.

Hehe yeah I think traveling to Europe would be scary, if I was going by myself! But going with STM, I will feel much better. ^_^

Btw, I really like your banner! Do you have a TLKFAA gallery?

Oh! I noticed in your signature, but I wasn't sure if that was just an RP thing or not. Kewl! Congrats!
I have the song "Love Will Find a Way" in Finnish, but it's, unfortunately, a really warbly version, so it sucks.

The airports aren't too difficult for the most part. Just Paris. ^.~
The airport in Amsterdam, Schippol, is HUGE (I believe one of the largest International Airports in Europe, many flights connect through Amsterdam), but it's not difficult to find your way around in, because every sign is written in like 7 different languages, including English.

Thank you, *Blush* and no, I don't have a TLKFAA gallery. Is TLKFAA through LionKing.org?

Sharifu
October 14th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Oh! I noticed in your signature, but I wasn't sure if that was just an RP thing or not. Kewl! Congrats!
I have the song "Love Will Find a Way" in Finnish, but it's, unfortunately, a really warbly version, so it sucks.

Naw hehe... I actually don't RP. But thank you! I can't wait until he's here again. He'll be here for Christmas! :D Long Distance relationships are hard... But he'll be moving here when he's done with school. Oh and actually I do have "Love Will Find a Way" in Finnish too.

Thank you, *Blush* and no, I don't have a TLKFAA gallery. Is TLKFAA through LionKing.org?

Yes. http://fanart.lionking.org/ :)

Marijke Rose
October 14th, 2005, 03:14 PM
I was in a long distance relationship too (Rofu, my fianc?, and I met on the internet), so I know how it feels. It really can get hard.

(Re: TLKFAA) Ahh, I thought so. Nope, I've never gotten a gallery there. (I considered doing so 6 years ago, but never actually did.)

ThiagoPE
October 14th, 2005, 03:38 PM
The title of the second one looks German, to me. o.o
"Elton John, Hans Zimmer - Ich will jetzt gleich K?nig sein"

Hehehe, indeed it is german, the person uploaded it for me uped the musics with the name in german :p i really don?t know why it are in german... since the music is brazilian portuguese.

Marijke Rose
October 14th, 2005, 05:08 PM
OH! So the title is in German, but the song itself is in Portuguese? Gotcha.

I'm having trouble with my soundcard.. it sometimes likes headphones and sometimes doesn't.. right now, it doesn't, so yeh.. have to wait until it lets me.. (I need a portable MP3 Player so bad..)

Ngatuny
October 15th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Better late than never, no? ^.~
Thank you. You're a cheetah too?

Well not exactly I just like cheetahs very much ( in fact just as much as lions http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/ngatuny/16.jpg ) and I just fell in love with the pic on my avatar and I had to use it, the drawing is by Jenreca a German artist.

Marijke Rose
October 15th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Ooohh, I see. ^.^;

ThiagoPE
October 16th, 2005, 01:32 AM
i expect you enjoy the songs ;)

Marijke Rose
October 16th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Apparently the downloads didn't complete on both of them (I don't have all of the second one, for some reason), I will go back and grab it.

Anyway, I do love the one, yus! I also had to grab a couple others from your gallery, as you probably know. ^.~

I desperately want to collect the movies in multiple languages.. if I can get the full Dutch DVD, I would, I believe, get a whole bunch of languages right there.