PDA

View Full Version : Animals of Farthing Wood

Azerane
June 4th, 2011, 04:33 AM
I know this was/is a pretty popular book and tv series. So I'm wondering who has seen it etc.

The tv series didn't used to be shown here all that much, but I have seen a few episodes and remember enjoying them, just gotta love all those animals. I read the whole series of books quite some time ago and really loved them. I've just borrowed the first book from the library the other day, and once I finish reading Watership Down again, I'm going to read through it so I can remember it and see what I think of it again. Though I certainly can't see myself not liking it.

Lucy
June 4th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I loved the Animals of Farthing Wood when I was little. I read the books (maybe not all of them, I can't remember. I used to get really upset when original characters died so that might have put me off reading futher) and I especially loved the ones involving Fox and Vixen's cubs. Now it would probably seem really cliche but I loved the whole Charmer and Ranger as Romeo and Juliet bit, lol. I loved Bold as well. I still have the 'Fox Bub Bold' sitting on my bookshelf and I remember so much of it. Especially the epic sadness at the end. Oh god the sadness.

I watched the tv show religiously and here we even had a magazine/comic book series which I collected as well. I remember having a t shirt with Fox on it too. Needless to say, the foxes were my favourite :p I have a feeling the whole show might be on youtube somewhere, I seem to remember seeing a few not long ago for old time's sake.

Sadiki
June 4th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I remember watching the TV series when I was a kid. I remember very well the episode where they were crossing a road or a highway or something and the hedgehogs died because they were so slow and just tried to protect themselves by curling up on a ball... I doubt I ever saw all the episodes as I wasn't that little when I saw it the first time, so I didn't religiously watch it every day.

Azerane
June 5th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I loved the Animals of Farthing Wood when I was little. I read the books (maybe not all of them, I can't remember. I used to get really upset when original characters died so that might have put me off reading futher) and I especially loved the ones involving Fox and Vixen's cubs. Now it would probably seem really cliche but I loved the whole Charmer and Ranger as Romeo and Juliet bit, lol. I loved Bold as well. I still have the 'Fox Bub Bold' sitting on my bookshelf and I remember so much of it. Especially the epic sadness at the end. Oh god the sadness.

I watched the tv show religiously and here we even had a magazine/comic book series which I collected as well. I remember having a t shirt with Fox on it too. Needless to say, the foxes were my favourite :p I have a feeling the whole show might be on youtube somewhere, I seem to remember seeing a few not long ago for old time's sake.

From what I've been reading elsewhere, it seems that for a lot of people, their favourite book was the fox cub Bold. I remember really liking it, and I do love sad stories, but I don't remember all the details. Which is why I want to read all the books again. It's a pretty popular series, even still there seems to be a large fan base for it.

Lucy
June 5th, 2011, 12:26 PM
From what I've been reading elsewhere, it seems that for a lot of people, their favourite book was the fox cub Bold. I remember really liking it, and I do love sad stories, but I don't remember all the details. Which is why I want to read all the books again. It's a pretty popular series, even still there seems to be a large fan base for it.

It's really amazing that there's still such a fanbase for it, given that I read it when I was so young. Really has staying power.

The Fox Cub Bold was definitely my favourite book. I rented the others from the library but I bought that one (it's with Fox's Feud as well, which is my other favourite) because I loved it so much. Both of them are sad really. I remember being epically upset over what happened to Dreamer.

Aurelian
June 5th, 2011, 04:41 PM
never read the books or saw the shows. I just looked it up on the library webpage. I only found a single book and video, but I ordered them. So we will see what I get...

Wide Eyed Wanderer
June 5th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Perhaps the only show/film that dominated my childhood more than The Lion King. I was obsessed with this show from day 1 and spent most of my childhood running around with my friends pretending to be foxes!

I still love the show and most recently watched it a couple of years ago on YouTube. The campaign to get them all released on DVD has been running for ages. They're released in Germany and a couple of other places but still no sign of an English DVD yet...fingers crossed.
:D

KanuTGL
June 5th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Perhaps the only show/film that dominated my childhood more than The Lion King. I was obsessed with this show from day 1 and spent most of my childhood running around with my friends pretending to be foxes!
Ditto :p

It is and will always remain my favourite animated TV show. I have still not read any of the books, because I've just never been able to find them... At least not in Sweden. Maybe here in the UK I'll have a better chance of finding them xD

My favourite character used to be Bold by a mile (but today Fox is a close second as well). I don't really remember, but mum said that I wasn't myself for days after I saw Bold's final episode for the first time xP Watching it still makes me tear up a bit.

I also wish they'd release the show on DVD. I would reeally love to watch it all again, but all the online videos I've come across so far are such low quality that they're barely viewable :yuck:

King Simba
June 5th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I'll be honest and I'll say I never saw this series when I was younger. I think it was a bit before my time to really remember, either that or I was too busy watching other programmes on TV. :p But I've heard a lot of good things about it which makes me feel very curious. I've seen a few clips on YouTube, but they're really bad quality like Kanu said. I wish they would release the series on DVD for that reason, but I guess for now if I really want to watch it, I'll just have to settle for the bad quality... xP

Azerane
June 6th, 2011, 01:46 AM
never read the books or saw the shows. I just looked it up on the library webpage. I only found a single book and video, but I ordered them. So we will see what I get...

I can imagine you'll enjoy the read :)

I'm really looking forward to reading the books again, just have to be able to find the rest of them somewhere, not sure where, though I have a couple of libraries around me so I can look at other ones.

Colin Dann, the author, also wrote another series that I absolutely loved about Cats. The books were King of the Vagabonds, The City Cats, and Copycat. A beautiful series and I absolutely loved the main character.

Also, if you're looking for the books, I've used this site before: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=colin+dann&sts=t&x=0&y=0 you can get books for $1. plus shipping. :D Most of them are second hand, but you can get some books in great condition. I'm considering ordering them off there myself.... It's good to know that so many people were fans though, it was and still is a great series. I think it's a pity that they don't really make cartoons like that anymore.

Lucy
June 6th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Colin Dann, the author, also wrote another series that I absolutely loved about Cats. The books were King of the Vagabonds, The City Cats, and Copycat. A beautiful series and I absolutely loved the main character.

I have really vague memories of reading one of those. I never really got into them, but damn those cats were badass.