PDA

View Full Version : Why Pumba?

unregistered user
July 21st, 2005, 05:44 PM
I have a question, why do some people call him Pumba? When his name is Pumba'a'?

You're missing another a x) Is it a common typing mistake among TLK fans? Or do you guys do it on purpose, it bugs the crap out of me xD

And something slightly related.. why do some of you guys call it 'The Pride Rock' instead of just 'Pride Rock'? No need for a 'the' there x)

TakaTiger
July 21st, 2005, 05:56 PM
Tomato, tomoto... i guess... oO

unregistered user
July 21st, 2005, 05:59 PM
But they are names, you can't spell a name differently if the person has it spelled that way. It's just not proper *drinks some tea*

nathalie
July 21st, 2005, 07:43 PM
*lol* I somethimes wonder myself too ... and because of it, I sometimes have to think twice when I'm writing Pumbaa *thinks -- 1 a? or 2?* haha

imported_Rafiki
August 6th, 2005, 06:51 PM
In some countries Pumbaa is officially spellt "Pumba". Don't know why :confused:

unregistered user
August 6th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Odd :confused:

Well, what about Pride Rock? Why 'The Pride Rock'?

nathalie
August 6th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Maybe it's also a dialect thing?

I know that people here in Antwerp put "the" in front of a lot of words, while it should even belongs in front of it.

Sharifu
August 7th, 2005, 09:10 AM
I don't think I've seen Pumbaa spelt with one "a" actually. :p

nathalie
August 7th, 2005, 09:15 AM
I have, when I was looking for TLK lyrics, but since I changed all those to just "P" when he sings, I can't remember which language actually uses "Pumba".

Nalinda
August 7th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Hmm, does that matter? I don't think that is a big deal.

unregistered user
August 7th, 2005, 05:06 PM
It's just something that sticks out whenever I read something on the lion king. I'm like *read, read, read..* hey, what the heck? Why isn't there another a? Or, why did they ut a 'the' in front of Pride Rock? x)

Lion King Stu
August 7th, 2005, 05:09 PM
yeah Pumbaa is a double 'aa' :lol: I ain't really botherd about it though...to me its basicly the same at least by saying both spellings of it.

As for 'The Pride Rock' I don't do that thank god...sounds annoying...I just say Pride Rock.

imported_Rafiki
August 7th, 2005, 09:22 PM
In Brazil they spell "Pumba" for example. Thiago writes "Pumba" in her transcript. Plus I found that page that has a copy of a book:

http://www.oreileao.hpg.ig.com.br/

Look at the "biblioteca" section.

And Timon is called Timao, which sounds very cute in my opinion!

:cheese:

nathalie
August 8th, 2005, 07:18 AM
That Timon part I still remembered ...

But Thiago is a "he" :D

imported_Rafiki
August 8th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Oh, gee! And I've been talking to him quire a lot!! :woeisme: Shame on me!! Sorry!!! :eek:

nathalie
August 8th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Hehe, it happens to the best of us ... even I've been there, twice or so, haha *lol*

MehndiX
August 8th, 2005, 01:03 PM
It could also be some people reference some Disney stuff. We have a set of three small plush, official Disney and they misspelled his name as Pumba ; )

Nala The Lion
August 8th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Ravoc
Odd :confused:

Well, what about Pride Rock? Why 'The Pride Rock'?

I can happily say I don't call it 'The Pride Rock' just 'Pride Rock!' :diva:

Sometimes I spell Pumbaa with one a, Sometimes with 2 :cool: I don't know why though :confused:

Nalinda
August 8th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Hmm, I say both. Well in my opinion it's not a big deal.. who cares?

Melody of Scar
August 8th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Some people may just be making a typo... In teh RP I'm in on the info she listed him as "Pumba the Warthog" but the always spells his name with 2 a's when she otherwise mentions him.

And "The Pride Rock"? o.x I 'unno, I've never seen that, but it may just be habit to refer to buildings/monuments with "the". For me it's the White House, the Congress Building, the Washington Monument, the Mall, the office, the school, etc... And some people may just do it out of habit.

Nala The Lion
August 8th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Nalinda
Hmm, I say both. Well in my opinion it's not a big deal.. who cares?

well said :D ditto, ditto :cool:

Nala The Lion
August 11th, 2005, 09:39 AM
to me personally it does really make any difference how you spell it, it's an african name and people still pronouce it the same and know who your talking about :cool:

Sombolia
August 11th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
What's a tomoto :confused: ?

It's how some people pronounce tomato ;) tuh-mah-tow.. as opposed to tuh-may-tow. It's kind of a saying, people say "Tomato, tomoto" when there's a difference of opinion and such.

Melody of Scar
August 12th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Sombolia
It's how some people pronounce tomato ;) tuh-mah-tow.. as opposed to tuh-may-tow. It's kind of a saying, people say "Tomato, tomoto" when there's a difference of opinion and such.

I don't say tuh-may-tow, I say tuh-may-toe. :idiot:

Nala The Lion
August 13th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Nala The Lion
to me personally it does really make any difference how you spell it, it's an african name and people still pronouce it the same and know who your talking about :cool:

Originally posted by Melody of Scar
I don't say tuh-may-tow, I say tuh-may-toe. :idiot:

...I say tuh-mar-toe :p :diva:

unregistered user
August 25th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Well I do know for "Pumbaa" being spelled "Pumba" is just a typo. (No. I don't know what that means). As for Pride Rock being called "The Pride Rock". Because... A SPECIFIC pride would have "The" as a title. So it basically because it's the place where "The" SPECIFIC pride of Lions live.

Does that make sense now? :huh:

Melody of Scar
November 9th, 2005, 01:47 AM
NECROPOST! xDD

I just saw Poomba on eBay. Shockingly, Timon was spelled correctly.

And OT: I just saw a book where Nala had whiskers. *headdesk*

Sadiki
November 9th, 2005, 07:33 AM
In Finnish Pumbaa is spelled as Pumba because word " Pumbaa " would mean something with Pumbaa like " hyenas were eatING Pumbaa or Nala was chaisING Pumbaa. " so I guess that is one of the reasons and it makes sense also.

Disin
December 2nd, 2005, 11:18 AM
actually I WAS calling im Pumba cause it's shorter but now it's definatly because it bugs you :cheese: