PDA

View Full Version : Animal Encounters

unregistered user
July 11th, 2005, 06:12 AM
Encountered an animal that you've never thought you'd encounter before?

Earlier today, I encountered a fruit bat in the daytime, it was sleeping upside down, hanging on some shingles. I didn't disturb the bat, because ruining a good sleep sucks. Anyway, a few hours later the bat awoke, and I fed it some grapes.

unregistered user
July 11th, 2005, 06:45 AM
I came across a coyote in front of my school in middle school. Everyone was forced inside. But I went outside anyway 'cause I'm stupid. Actually I went outside about half an hour after the coyote was sighted because our school is seperated and I had to deliver papers to another section.

While it was by the school (it was right near the doors btw) I just stared out the window at it ^^ Hoping it might go and devour all of the annoying K-6 graders ^^' *cough*

Sombolia
July 11th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Ravoc
Hoping it might go and devour all of the annoying K-6 graders ^^' *cough*

I'm offended. ;) Okay.. even though I'm not technically in 6th grade anymore.. eh. :bleen:

I haven't had any really strange animal encounters.. well, there was this huge badger lurking outside a hotel we stayed at once but... :confused: I don't think that counts :metoo:

Kintaru
July 11th, 2005, 07:02 AM
When I was at my college preview in Florida I stumbled upon an alligator outside of my door. Being stupid me, I thought it was fake. So I got close to it, and sure enough, I was wrong. Suckers are quick! ;)

King Simba
July 11th, 2005, 08:06 AM
I was in Florida and it was the last day before we went home. We crossed the road from the hotel to near where McDonalds and Burger King was. There was a group of trees around that area and we saw this bird which was about 4 or 5 ft high. My dad didn't even notice it at first. :lol:

Then again, there were quite a few of those birds flying around the hotel outside.

Sombolia
July 11th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Hey, that reminds me.. :thinks: We were driving on a freeway in Long Beach, and there was this 4 foot tall bird lurking in the bushes about two feet from the outermost lane O___o I can't remember what type of bird it was.. I'll hafta ask my mom. But seeing it there was odd. XD

unregistered user
July 11th, 2005, 09:53 AM
okay..
make it short and simple
I've been chase by a cat:lol: last three weeks

va-kasi
July 11th, 2005, 12:28 PM
A Goanna, fruit bats and a dead wombat are some animals I wouldn't normally come across/expect to see.

Perhaps the wombat doesn't count though because it was dead :O

Even though I live in Australia and we have heaps of deadly snakes and such, I haven't seen very many snakes in my life-time.

moonibear
July 11th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Once, I was doing the dishes when I heard rustling on the back porch. When I opened the door I saw an opossum eating our dog's food. In our backyard we have a BUNCH of trees, so things like bunnies, bats and obviously opossums stay there...

Iestyn
July 11th, 2005, 02:08 PM
I saw a fox in the Humber Bridge country park when I was about 5, that's about it I think.

unregistered user
July 11th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by va-kasi
Perhaps the wombat doesn't count though because it was dead :O

And you poked a stick at it right? You know you did! You know you did! ; o...

:D

Aurelian
July 11th, 2005, 03:34 PM
I had one miraculaous animal encounter that seems impossible. During my senior year in high school, I was in a deep depression to the point of being slightly suisidal. My family life was never good, and was at an all time low. My step father at the time was physically abusing me and my siblings, my real father was gone from my life, I was teased to no end in school. Things finally hit rock bottem when I lost controle, and found myself being arrested for domestic assault. At this point, I lost the ability to care. I simply felt there was nothing left for me to live for.

One day, I was walking down a local backwoods bike path, quite aways from civilization(the bike path is built over an old rail road path that runs deep in the woods), and her a noice in the woods on the side of me. I glanced over, and saw what looked like a grey dog with thick fur and pointy ears. A wolf. It just stood there and looked in my eyes as if to say "What's wrong with you? Get your act together!" Then, it turned aound and bounded away. What makes this impossible is that wolves have been extinct from my area since the early 1800s. I believe God sent me an angel in the shape of somthing I would undersatnd to help me. This is the reason for my deep faith in God, and my deep love for wolves. After this, I got my life together. I got into contact with my father, and moved in with him to finish scholl in a new place. My sister decided not to press chrges for the assault, and I went through a short stint in boot camp, and did comunity service. My mom later divorced the abusive step-father. Today, I channel my anger and emotions to help those who are going through what Iv'e been through.

Another time, while siiting on the side of the same bike path, I had a wild fox walk up to me.

unregistered user
July 11th, 2005, 03:37 PM
One time, me and my family were about to go some place, and my mom found a opossum in the garage, and freaked out, she had us run into the back yard and called animal control from here cell phone!

unregistered user
July 11th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Roquivo
I glanced over, and saw what looked like a grey dog with thick fur and pointy ears. A wolf.

You're very lucky to be graced by such a majestic animal. = )

King Simba
July 11th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Iestyn
I saw a fox in the Humber Bridge country park when I was about 5, that's about it I think.
My dad has seen loads of foxes around the streets in London.

:hmm:

Lucy Lioness
July 11th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Hehe, foxes are all over the place here, lol. And rabbits and squirrels. And we have a mouse in our back garden. Hehe. Well that's how boring my experiences of wild animals are. Hehe.

Picklepaige
July 11th, 2005, 04:00 PM
We were driving through a path in the forest behind our house, and there was a moose,which is really weird because they aren't supposed to live around here. :confused: On that same road,a coyote ran in front of the car,but we didn't hit him.

Juniper
July 11th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I met this dog once, and I was all like "Sup, yo". And then he was all "Nothin much, G-rizzle". And I said "Bling Bling! You're a talking dog!", and he was like "Fool, you trippin'. Dogs don't talk. And if you tell someone I do, I'll bust a cap in yo a**". It was straight up trippin.

Actually though, I got to touch a dolphin swimming near the beach. It startled me, but some people walking on the beach said the dolphins in the area aren't afraid of people and it happens all the time

King Simba
July 11th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Lucy Lioness
Hehe, foxes are all over the place here, lol. And rabbits and squirrels. And we have a mouse in our back garden. Hehe. Well that's how boring my experiences of wild animals are. Hehe.

There's quite a few rabbits who are around our school. Our school is near the woods so it's not really usual. :bleen:

But sometime last year, my mum spotted a fox in our backyard. Too bad I was at school at the time.

LunarCat
July 11th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Well, none really in the wild. Besides some whales, and dolphins in Hawaii. Pretty much the normal stuff.

At camp however, (i've said this like 15 times but i don't care) I was able to hand feed some ring-tailed lemurs. Touch an armadillo named Loopy, get close to a ground hornbill, toucans, peacocks, turacos(hand fed) flamingoes, red-tailed hawk, Cape Buffalo(there was a baby! he was so cute) baby Impala, Orangutans(also another baby; these girls were so spectacular, so much like a human), Gorillas, warthogs, anteater named Buddy(touch), citatonga, and i think that's it.

Thanks to my lovely zookeeper sister i've been able to touch a Black Rhino, and touch and feed an Asian Elephant. Also thanks to her i've been able to get close to a Sumatran Rhino, a Clouded Leopard, Cheetahs, and Lions.

Some other animal encounters, like the ones you pay for and you get to touch and get a picture with the animal, were with a Florida Panther and a baby White Bengal Tiger.

:D :cheese: :wow: :) ;)

Aurelian
July 11th, 2005, 10:52 PM
You are so lucky, Lunar. Because of where I live, I have only actually seen a real wildcat once in my life, and that was in a zoo when I was a kid.

LunarCat
July 11th, 2005, 10:57 PM
well, most of them weren't in the wild, so it doesn't exactly count but i still consider them animal encouters :D :cheese:

King Simba
July 11th, 2005, 11:05 PM
I've seen quite a lot of wildlife in my life... mostly in zoos and safari parks. A few in the wild - the only trouble is; actually getting to the right places to see different kinds of wildlife in the wild. Not in a zoo or a safari park.

My town sucks though so I have to travel miles to even reach the nearest zoo. :grrr:

Alli
July 12th, 2005, 01:01 AM
Once we had 23 deer in our yard at once -.- Well, that's not really unusual buuut..for some people xD

And than, one time this deer came right up to us and followed us around and than lost interest and started following a lady walking her dog. We found out later it was brought up by humans x.x

Oh, and one time i sat on a bull snake x(

Aaaaand...We had a spider about the size of a pancake on our front step...

One time i was riding my bike and a bat almost hit me...

I'm sure i have more *thinks*

W-Eyed-Wanderer
July 12th, 2005, 01:13 AM
We get all sorts of random wildlife up here in the Scottish highlands. Deer and foxes are common, as well as owls, buzzards and kestrals.

The most amusing animal encounter that I've had was probably being chased up a tree by a goose when I was about 8. It just started going nuts and pecking at me so in the end I climbed a tree to escape it until it got bored and wandered off...

I'd love to see a real cheetah; they're the most amazing creatures to me. Actually I'd love to go work for Africat in Namibia and save them but still...

Incidentally, I finally reached my 500th post...yay me!
:irule: :diva: :D

unregistered user
July 12th, 2005, 01:19 AM
I met a moose male fairly recently, it was still young enough to have his mommy around though...luckily he was the only one close, I bet the mommy was watching us though ;o

And just like an hour ago I got scared to death by a badger :P

LunarCat
July 12th, 2005, 01:24 AM
i can't believe i forgot. At camp i also got to hand feed and touch some Giraffes, and Elands. Also a Crowned Crane, i think it was an Eastern Crowned Crane but I'm not sure. :D :cheese:

You people out in the country are lucky, i've had a lot of wild animal encounters but within zoos. You guys get to see wild animals in their natural habitat.

unregistered user
July 12th, 2005, 01:31 AM
I want a giraffe, they look cool and relaxed :E

Xinithian
July 12th, 2005, 02:05 AM
Turkey Vulture, in my city. I see a few sometimes.

unregistered user
July 12th, 2005, 02:15 AM
I haven't seen it yet, but the paper showed a picture of a black bear walking across the road near my house. That's VERY VERY rare for where I live.

Sombolia
July 12th, 2005, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Alli
Once we had 23 deer in our yard at once -.- Well, that's not really unusual buuut..for some people xD

And than, one time this deer came right up to us and followed us around and than lost interest and started following a lady walking her dog. We found out later it was brought up by humans x.x

Oh, and one time i sat on a bull snake x(

Aaaaand...We had a spider about the size of a pancake on our front step...

One time i was riding my bike and a bat almost hit me...

I'm sure i have more *thinks*

LOL :lol: It probably shouldn't be funny, but that crackedme up :p

Alli
July 12th, 2005, 04:26 AM
One time a pair of swans chased me up my swingset ;__; I was scared of them for so long

We had a bear wandering around the city for a while

In california a giraffe licked me hand x_x

Ummm, i was on a deep sea fishing boat and a guy caught a bat ray and reeled it in.

I've been stung by a jellyfish

OOOH! I got to pet a dolphin at Sea world *squee*

King Simba
July 12th, 2005, 07:09 AM
My mum was in the car with my grandma a few years back and she was driving around near where our doctor's surgery is (around some old, victorian terraced houses) and she saw a big, grey rat run across the road. Not really unusual for that type of place really. :eww:

King Simba
July 12th, 2005, 02:24 PM
In Morocco a man came up to me and made me hold a baby goat. He said it was free of charge... after my mum took the photo, the man charged us some money. :grrr: