PDA

View Full Version : Racism .... (This is my country)

ThiagoPE
May 12th, 2011, 10:44 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504943_162-20062337-10391715.html

Brazil is one country, but seems more like we live a eternal fight against ourselves, with racism between people from south (most rich part of the country) and us from north. instead making things for we all grow better, the rich people wants to be even more rich.
Today, the most prosperating part of brazil are being the north, specially the northeast (which açways lived in poverty), and thats anoys the superdeveloped south, which thinks all developent needs to go to there
This is a thing i really apreciate about USA, they are really "united", very diferent from us.

Shadow
May 13th, 2011, 08:49 AM
your kidding right?, USA has a huge " Rich class, Working class, Poor class" diffrence, hell when i vissited there i was shocked that people where living in sheds on the outside of the town, USA is hardly united...Sweden and Kuba on other hand are more united then most countties (not sure but think Brittan too)

Sombolia
May 13th, 2011, 09:37 AM
USA isn't really that united. I wouldn't know about class differences, but there's some antagonism based on location; i.e. "everyone in the south is an inbred hick", "everyone in the west coast is a limousine liberal", etc. It's not overly serious most of the time, but it's there/

Still, petty stuff like this is terrible to see anywhere. I'm sorry Thiago.

Guntur
May 13th, 2011, 09:52 AM
There's always be a class differences, including here and anywhere! There's a lot of branch in the racism issues. About class differences, I think that's our personal views of life and who and what we should hang out with, example Nymphomaniac are always choose high class society to avoid their "insecurity" and also avoid their egos in life.

I really fighting are race racism. Singaporean are always discriminate against Malay races and treat them as a minority. and Malaysia discriminating against Chinese people over economic issues and the New Economic Policy for the past 40 years. I gotta say I'm still reserving judgment over Affirmative Action here! since it will benefit all "Bumiputras" or Indigenous peoples or Malay People but not into "immigrants" like Indian and Chinese people. This AA will take Malay people into high standard but it will not help much on the economic and political side of the argument.

I am willing to listen Kovu's point of views on racial divide in Singapore, As I respect him as a person, human being and race. But I am willing to take debate on him on racial issues in Singapore.

ThiagoPE
May 13th, 2011, 02:17 PM
When i said that USA is united i do not meant that "all class are united" or "there is no regional antagonism", what i mean is that here, there is really a fight between the rich part (south) and the poor one (here at north), there is a hate between those two (basically) people because the south enjoys almost all of the development of the country, they have acces to things we don´t have here, getting this example of racism in twitter, it happend just because a team from northeast winned agains a team from south! for them (people from south, where their teams always win matches and championships) their team are unbeatable against team of north (which has much less fans and money to survive), by the other side, people here revenged with the hashtag #orgulhodesernordestino (proud to be from northeast) which is quite provocative for the other side.

Other example can be see in the economics, the south always had an great economy with high GDP, with the crisis, they perceived that their economy could increase in the same proportion as the north, as now while the the south has an iuncrease of 2% in GDP , the north beats 10%, 11% 12%, and that anoys them, because this is a "savage area" that can´t be developed.

At least, i don´t see this behave in USA, tell me if im wrong...

Guntur
May 13th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Well the thread just classify "Racism" Means as a whole racism. :p

As for regional antagonism? People are still comparing lifestyle, race and historic issues. Including here sadly. let's just say it's already written down on above posts that you've post. ;)

Juniper
May 13th, 2011, 03:42 PM
The US is generally more united as a country than most people realize. We may bicker and squabble, but when it comes down to it, we're all American and we look out for each other.

shadowland
May 29th, 2011, 01:21 AM
lots of racism in the UK..though inverted racism, which of course breeds racism of all kinds.

Shadow
May 30th, 2011, 07:35 PM
The US is generally more united as a country than most people realize. We may bicker and squabble, but when it comes down to it, we're all American and we look out for each other.

Hardly.

though im just one man with one opinion.

Juniper
May 30th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Hardly.

though im just one man with one opinion.

Obviously I must defer to your opinion, what with my only living in this country for decades.

Sharifu
May 31st, 2011, 12:21 AM
hell when i vissited there i was shocked that people where living in sheds on the outside of the town, USA is hardly united...

Um, when you were in the U.S., you were with me and Petteri the whole time, I'd like to know what the heck you are talking about. I don't remember seeing people living in sheds.

Weylin
May 31st, 2011, 05:28 AM
Where I live, racism is apparently totally one sided.
Whereas I can be called all sorts of racial %@!&, the moment I say something back I'll probably go to court for a hate crime if I'm not gunned down and beaten to a pile of mush first.

:wicked:-(Life's not fair, is it?
-_-

King Simba
May 31st, 2011, 08:06 AM
lots of racism in the UK..though inverted racism, which of course breeds racism of all kinds.
Unfortunately, that is true, and it has grown much more in recent years.

I don't consider myself to be racist at all, but there is a fine line between the country looking after foreigners before people that have been born and bred here. It's becoming a little too much.

Of course, I won't rant on about that now. You get the idea. ;)

Weylin
May 31st, 2011, 08:31 AM
Well, that seems to be a problem in the US.
Immigrants are getting immediate handouts and automatic qualifications for special programs and grant money.

My family who has been here for generations, we get nothing. In fact, we have more taken from us just because we choose to be self sufficient and not suck off the government.

We run into roadblocks at every step of the way. Always some new bureaucracy to make our self sufficiency harder and harder.
They don't want middle class self-sufficients, they want cattle. Apathetic cattle that will never rebel because they're living too well off handouts.

Aurelian
May 31st, 2011, 05:23 PM
Very well said, Wey. The US government has a very bad habit of picking and choosing who to help. Your a retired politician who never lied, and you stubbed your toe? Sure, well put you on SSI and pay you thousands a week for life.

You were born with a crippling disease that left you blind, in a wheelchair, and in eternal agony? Sorry, you are not qualified for SSI.

However, the biggest fighting gap is between the Republicans and Democrats. They can never agree on anything, so nothing ever gets done. The rick bankers get richer and the poverty stricken people fighting to feed their children wind up in the streets. It took me three weeks to scrap up enough change to pay for my medication, because the government doesn't care to help a mentally disabled person.

Sadiki
June 1st, 2011, 12:59 AM
Well, that seems to be a problem in the US.
Immigrants are getting immediate handouts and automatic qualifications for special programs and grant money.

Haha, hardly the truth. At least for me it hasn't been like that. We have actually paid around $3000 on just fees and on process on moving to US and I haven't got anything handed to me. So yeah I don't think immigrants in US really get handouts if anything I'm on my own for at least as long as I can apply for citizenship. :lol:

hell when i vissited there i was shocked that people where living in sheds on the outside of the town, USA is hardly united.

Shadow... You live in a shed. :lol:

shadowland
June 1st, 2011, 03:42 AM
Where I live, racism is apparently totally one sided.
Whereas I can be called all sorts of racial %@!&, the moment I say something back I'll probably go to court for a hate crime if I'm not gunned down and beaten to a pile of mush first.

:wicked:-(Life's not fair, is it?
-_-

Same here, cept no guns in the UK :p the term "racism" is so overly used as a crutch that I don't really give much of a sh*t if what I say is felt as racist or not

Aurelian
June 1st, 2011, 04:30 PM
Haha, hardly the truth. At least for me it hasn't been like that. We have actually paid around $3000 on just fees and on process on moving to US and I haven't got anything handed to me. So yeah I don't think immigrants in US really get handouts if anything I'm on my own for at least as long as I can apply for citizenship. :lol::

Well, if you came here legally, then you are as screwed as the rest of us. After all, you are now a law abiding citizen. However, if you were an illegal, the government would feel bad for you, hand you a wad of cash, put you in the best job they could find, and exempt you from taxes.

Sadiki
June 1st, 2011, 05:49 PM
Seems like these things are more based on rare cases and what media is saying about them. I very well doubt that if US government found out someone is an illegal immigrant, they would just hand out a job for them as well as let them get away from taxes. I think what is happening there more is that illegal immigrants are working illegally in jobs where they don't have to pay taxes as their employers don't really care as they most likely work cheaper than any Natural born citizen is willing to work. At least I know if I was to move here illegally and I got caught I would face deportation and at least 10 year quarantine from entering to US. Thought I guess there might be some exceptions with immigrants coming from countries that share a boarder with US.

What comes to me being citizen... I'm not even a resident yet... still waiting for my green card. It's hard to believe I have lived here for 7 months and they still haven't been able to process me even thought it's partly my fault as we booked our honeymoon and then the interview date for green card landed on middle of that honeymoon and we could not cancel so we had to postpone the interview date.. oh well at least I have work authorization and advance parole. :p