PDA

View Full Version : Marijuana statistic

Juniper
July 9th, 2005, 03:07 AM
Pntbll makes a thread?!:gasp:

What exactly is up with this whole "98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot" thing in people's sigs? Or "99% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot" for that matter? Yes, I have it in my sig as a sarcastic joke, but I'm just wondering who actually believes those statistics, because they seem just a tiny bit exagerated to me. Seeing as how not even 75% of the teen population has smoked a cigarette, why would the statistic be higher for marijuana? Someone let me know in an IM conversation that my sig wasn't funny at all because it's true. I wanted to know where we got this information. So I made a thread... Yeah.

A la carte, why do people feel the need to tell someone else that they haven't smoked pot?

unregistered user
July 9th, 2005, 03:10 AM
I haven't smoked pot x)

unregistered user
July 9th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Nop....
:D
i wish i die cancer then die on drugs:D

Juniper
July 9th, 2005, 03:12 AM
@ Nuka: Find me two other teenagers out of 100 that haven't and I'll have proved my point

@ Guntur: Marijuana is not going to kill you unless you do something stupid while you're under the influence of it

Sombolia
July 9th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Someone brought it over from DevArt, I think. It's way over the top, the statistic isn't anywhere near that, I believe..

As for the "need to tell others", maybe it makes them feel special. ;P

If it's any consolation, I think your sig's funny x)

unregistered user
July 9th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Pnt, are you advertising marijuana? xP

Personally I neve rhave and never will touch marijuana. Sadly I have touched cigarettes and alcohol, something I shall never do again mind you ;)

Nuvoc + Drugs, Alcohol, Cigs = N/A =P

Kasun
July 9th, 2005, 03:32 AM
*has taken alcohol, cigarettes, and marijuana* ...-.-...
:(

Sharifu
July 9th, 2005, 03:59 AM
Haha, well I never smoked pot, but I didn't want to put that in my sig. ;)

I have no idea what the statistics are really like.

Shatara
July 9th, 2005, 04:06 AM
Myself, I've never done any of that ****, but...

1) I'm not a teen anymore *cry*

2) Not like it was a bloody accomplishment...

3) I got enough crap in my sig already :bleen:

Xinithian
July 9th, 2005, 04:11 AM
I've never smoked a joint.

Here's the first song that popped up when I read this thread:

I smoke two joints in the morning
I smoke two joints at night,
I smoke two joints in the afternoon
and it makes me feel alright
smoke two joints in time of peace
into the time of war
smoke two joints before i smoke two joints
and then i smoke some more

yeah thats what i do, hey

mama she always told me son you really have it bad
mama she always told me son you do the best you can
then one day i met a man she came to me and said
i work good and i work fine but first take care of him

i smoke two joints in the morning
i smoke two joints at night
i smoke two joints in the video game
and it mkes me feel alright
i smoke two joints in the time of peace
into the time of war
smoke two joints before i smoke two joints
and then i smoke some more

ooh ooh ooh ooh

one peace one time
funny days, funny days
gimme that bassline

Sharifu
July 9th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Shatara
1) I'm not a teen anymore *cry*

Oh right. XD I didn't want to put that in my sig anyways, but I forgot that I'm not a teen anymore either. :( :woeisme: XD

Ngatuny
July 9th, 2005, 06:43 AM
:Ohno: I never tried Marijuana or any other illegal drugs in my teen years or since, unfortunately my teen years are also gone like yesterday.:alone:

Tabansi
July 9th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Thats a hefty percentage. 98 percent of teens have tried or does smoke pot?! :eek:

:noogie: Reality check for those who believe this crap! :shout:

Never tried cigs/marijuana... beer.. tried it when i was 3 and 7... My dad gave it to me cuz i thought it'd be cool to drink it.. I hate the taste! but now i refuse all of it just cuz its not good for my healthy bod!

:rawr:

Simba_TLK
July 9th, 2005, 07:57 AM
never done it before and probably never will :p
no drugs, alcohol, smoking, or anything like that here ;)

King Simba
July 9th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Never smoked pot. Never tried Marijuana. Never taken any drugs.

;)

...And I never will. :bleen:

King Simba
July 9th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
I don't think that it's true; a lot of people in my school are people who perhaps would take drugs, but even so I'd say that less than 50% of the people in my class have taken cannabis.
I know quite a few people in my year group who have taken drugs of some sort. Most of them that have taken drugs have been smoking pot.

Tigris Of Gaul
July 9th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Lie - Bigger Lie - Statistics!

I bet the information on which that statistics was based on was collected from most poor areas with worst drug problems. I don't believe that reflects the status in any western state genuinely. One should never believe in statistics overly much.

Anyway.. drugs are bad, m'kay? I only know one friend who's used them - he's a good friend too, but overall drugs are for the weak-minded.

PS: Don't link alcohol to this one. Properly used it's of fun. No harm done in going out clubbin' and getting wasted on occasion, as long as everybody's having fun and you're still in control of your actions (at least to necessary extent).

Lion King Stu
July 9th, 2005, 08:41 AM
nope never tried...never will and will never put that in my sig :p....back to eating I think :lol:

unregistered user
July 9th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Sorry, but I do add drinking to this. As it can be just as dangerous to your body. Just cause marijuana has instant effects and alcohol's effects take time before they hit you, doesn't make one any worse than the other. Meh, whatever people :p

*is drug free and proud to be high on myself* <slogan from the D.A.R.E. association xD

Fear The Paw
July 9th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Blech. Never done it never will

Iestyn
July 9th, 2005, 11:50 AM
I've smoked a sheesha, but that's it as far as drugs go. I used to smoke cigarettes and have never smoked marijuana. Although people in my school do, as when I was sitting an exam earlier in the year I noticed this message carved into the desk.

"I was here but now I'm not
I'm round the corner smoking pot"

x)

la_reina
July 9th, 2005, 02:36 PM
No drugs here. I've never touched a cig in my life, actually, and I don't plan to either. There's this one boy I know, we grew up together, and he was such a good kid until he turned 15 or 16. Then he started doing drugs. And guess where he is now? In jail. I haven't seen him in at least two years.

Dare
July 9th, 2005, 04:11 PM
I personally like this one:
"98% of teens believe something with no proof behind it. If you're in the other 2%, marry me."

According to NIDA (National Institute on Drug Abuse), in the U.S. only 50% of teenagers are reported to try marijuana before finishing high school...and call me crazy, but I think 50% is considerably lower than 98%.
You can find relatively new (2004) survey results here:
http://www.monitoringthefuture.org/data/04data.html#2004data-drugs

I always thought it was "smoking pot and drinking"...or "smoke pot or know where to get it if they want to" or something...the statistic for knowing where to find pot is up there around 98% or so...maybe that's where it came from?

There's also another stupid statistic out there that's just for drugs...98% of teens have tried or on drugs! OH NO!
:eek:

Now, here's a fun fact:
Nutmeg is 100% legal and you can get a high from injesting it in high doses.
It can have some nasty side effects though.

Aurelian
July 9th, 2005, 06:10 PM
I did it because Suki asked me too. I guess we both fell for it.

IchLiebeNALA
July 9th, 2005, 06:34 PM
havnt smoked, havnt taken drugs, and i drink on very rare occasions in small quantities.

and i hope that i will never touch cigs and drugs.

sure, i've been ofered cigs and weed at my prom, but i refused, and they respected me for not choosing to do so. and i also respect them for their desicion to do so. After all, it is their body, and if they wish to do that, that's fine by me ;)

Nephilim
July 9th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Yup, I've pointed out that this was completely wrong before.

Personally, yes, I do it. Kind of funny how it's easier for me to get hold of than alcohol. ??;

unregistered user
July 9th, 2005, 09:17 PM
I want a smoke right now, blah but nooooo :P

And even if I havnt smoked pot or done any illegal drugs, I dont care about the signature thing.

I am not interested about your drug habits O_o

Juniper
July 9th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Tigris Of Gaul

PS: Don't link alcohol to this one. Properly used it's of fun. No harm done in going out clubbin' and getting wasted on occasion, as long as everybody's having fun and you're still in control of your actions (at least to necessary extent).

What's your reasoning behind that? It's legal? So is cyanide. It's fun? So is marijuana. It's commonly used? So is vicadin or other pain medicines; hell, you could get a good buzz with enough cough syrup. I can go out clubbing and be on ecstacy (MDMA) all night, drink plenty of water to keep my temperature down, and be perfectly fine and healthy. LSD has very few long-term side-effects and you don't get addicted very easily at all (same with MDMA, though both are really bad if you do manage to get addicted). I know the reason you don't have a problem with it: You like it. But remember, someone on marijuana can be perfectly fine as long as they're in control of their actions and/or do it on private property with someone watching over them.

I'm not into any illegal crap anymore, even quit smoking, so it's not like I'm defending it because it's my thing; it's more of the fact that someone will call one drug stupid while taking an equally as bad drug. As a heads up, 100% of the teenage population has taken drugs.

Aurelian
July 9th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Pntbll IS right. I have never taken illigal drugs, never used cigarettes, and never drink beer. BUT, I have drinken wine as cocial occasions, taken pain pills, been on perscription drugs as a minor, and have gotten my share of second hand smoke.

I suppose it is in how you look at it.

Juniper
July 9th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
No you can't.

That's exactly what Leah Betts died from :( ...

Leah Betts probably died from dehydration or overheating, which is considered the only major danger of ecstacy, because your brain is flooded with seratonin and doesn't control the body's temperature. That's why a lot of people at clubs always walk around with water bottles. There's virtually no long-term effects of ecstacy.

Aurelian
July 9th, 2005, 10:33 PM
I don't mean to offend anybody, but who is Leah Betts?

Sombolia
July 9th, 2005, 11:30 PM
^ That's what I was gonna say :confused:

Anyways, I don't think this thread was about your drug habits, it's about that thing people put in their sigs and how it's wrong :p

Juniper
July 10th, 2005, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Roquivo

I'm not quite sure, but I'm pretty sure STL has mentioned them before

lion_roog
July 10th, 2005, 04:39 AM
.....Drugs are bad.....Man, if only I had a smilie from that one scene from Father of the Pride....:D

Dare
July 10th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Roquivo

Wikipedia article on Leah Betts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leah_Betts)
(photo warning)

There are also reports that ecstasy isn't the only thing she was on at the time.

unregistered user
July 10th, 2005, 06:26 PM
I dont smoke or do drugs, I came back from NASS to day and at night everywhere you went you could smell pot in the air.

Tigris Of Gaul
July 10th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by pntbll248
What's your reasoning behind that? It's legal? So is cyanide. It's fun? So is marijuana. It's commonly used? So is vicadin or other pain medicines; hell, you could get a good buzz with enough cough syrup. I can go out clubbing and be on ecstacy (MDMA) all night, drink plenty of water to keep my temperature down, and be perfectly fine and healthy.

Haha. You make me chuckle. Cyanide? Pain medicines? You're seriously bringing forth these kind of things in response to something I said about alcohol? Yes, my main reasoning is that it's legal. Marijuana isn't. Pain medicines.. I don't know a single person who'd use those for going out clubbin' and having fun with friends. Only sounds like a thing a dumbass would do. Same for ecstacy. Simple, really.

Of course I admit that alcohol isn't for everyone and it can cause many negative health issues (in long term, heavy usage). Alas.

Suki
July 11th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Um, Roq, I never asked you to... O_o

And meh, make fun of it or not, I don't care. And stop bickering TOG and pnt.

W-Eyed-Wanderer
July 11th, 2005, 01:24 AM
We had a visit from the father of Leah Betts as well, though it may have come too late for a lot of my year.

I've tried pot, you only live once, but I was underwhelmed by its effects so I never went back to it. Never touched a cigarette, simply because both my parents smoke and so it was never an attractive option for me.

As for alcohol there's nothing wrong with it in moderation. If you becme reliant on it then yes, it becomes a problem, but that's as much true for caffiene.

The majority of these drugs, legal or illegal, are dangerous if you don't control them but many can be controlled and people are always going to experiment. You don't get any prizes in life for never trying them...maybe you get your rewards after your life but that depends on your faith. As far as I'm concerned I'm not going to think any less of anyone because of their views and/or experiences on drugs, just as long as they don't try to influence my position on the subject. Actually that goes for religion and politics as well...

DarkLion
July 11th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Hmmm, think I'll chime in here...
I am a smoker (since I was ~17), which I regret, as I can feel it starting to affect my health (I get winded easily). As far as alcohol goes, I'll drink a beer with dinner occasionally or have some wine...Once in a while (maybe once a month) I'll get plastered with some friends.
Now weed, that's horrible stuff!! I tried it for the first time last night. I can tell you now, I will never do it again!! To all those who are even thinking about trying it, it's not worth it....all it did for me was make me make an @$$ of myself and pass out.
Anyway, moderation is the key (except with pot/weed/whatever you want to call it)

Nephilim
July 11th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by DarkLion
Now weed, that's horrible stuff!! I tried it for the first time last night. I can tell you now, I will never do it again!! To all those who are even thinking about trying it, it's not worth it....all it did for me was make me make an @$$ of myself and pass out.

Actually, weed pretty much has reverse effects on you the first time you do it. I actually kind of wonder why; does anyone know why that would be? Is it just because it's a shock to your system, so to speak?

DarkLion
July 11th, 2005, 04:06 PM
I guess so, my friend (who smokes weed somewhat habitually) was smoking too and he was perfectly relaxed and all while I was in panic-mode.
I don't want to find out if that's true though, once is enough for me.

Juniper
July 11th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Tigris Of Gaul
Haha. You make me chuckle. Cyanide? Pain medicines? You're seriously bringing forth these kind of things in response to something I said about alcohol? Yes, my main reasoning is that it's legal. Marijuana isn't. Pain medicines.. I don't know a single person who'd use those for going out clubbin' and having fun with friends. Only sounds like a thing a dumbass would do. Same for ecstacy. Simple, really.

Of course I admit that alcohol isn't for everyone and it can cause many negative health issues (in long term, heavy usage). Alas.

My point was that cyanide is just as legal as alcohol, have to be a certain age to buy it; but cyanide will kill you. So you can't say alcohol is better because it's legal. But if you'd like another example, model airplane glue is completely legal. It was also the third most used drug, other than nicotine, alcohol, and caffeine, in 2000; kinda funny to say that you can get a huge buzz off of it and it'll also give you irreversible brain damage.

Now, I'm sure you're not too learned in drugs and their effects, because if you were you'd understand where I was coming from, but vicadin, morphine, oxycotton (sp?), codiene, and even the chemicals in tylenol are all pain relievers and are also abused to get some sort high. We had a person posing as a doctor at our hospital a while ago in order to steal narcotic pain relievers. Psuedophedrine, the active ingredient in most nasal decongestants in the US, can be mixed with another legal substance to get a high. And if you're worried about alcohol and pain medicines being too different for it to be a valid argument, both are depressants and many pain relievers have a similar chemical makeup to alcohol.

Ecstacy is THE drug at clubs and raves. If you truly went out "clubbing", chances are you'd be on ecstacy at some point.

My point is that alcohol is just as deadly as marijuana and even more hardcore drugs. It's legal, just like a deadly poison that millions are exposed to in some way. It's fun, just like pain medicines or ecstacy (anyone who's had major surgery or oral surgery can vouch for that). It impares your judgement just as badly as pot and can get you into a lot of trouble. So, again, why do you not have a problem with it? Because you like it.

@Suki: Thanks for your concern, but I think we can handle ourselves