PDA

View Full Version : The 2012 Olympic Bid

IchLiebeNALA
July 6th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Well, according to BBC news 24, London has won the bid for the 2012 Olympics.

now, we just need to get everything ready in time...

King Simba
July 6th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Ah yes, I just heard about it on BBC News.
It was between Paris, London and Singapore right?

IchLiebeNALA
July 6th, 2005, 11:58 AM
i dont know. i knew Paris was involved, and so was NYC, but NYC pulled out for some reason.

terrorist threat i think...

but, i'm pleased we got it!

Lion Roar
July 6th, 2005, 12:01 PM
It was between Paris, London, Moscow, New York and Madrid. Moscow was eliminated first, then New York and later Madrid.

And finally, it was London vs Paris, and won London, though Paris had a great chance of winning.

IchLiebeNALA
July 6th, 2005, 12:06 PM
I heard Paris were the favourites all the way through the voting...

i wonder why London won. not that i'm complaining...

:D

klowd
July 6th, 2005, 12:20 PM
5th-Moscou , New York, Madrid, London, Paris

4th New York,Madrid,London,Paris.

3rd Madrid, London, Paris

2nd London,Paris.

1st London.

Dyani
July 6th, 2005, 12:32 PM
all we need to do now is to destroy a wetland and several homes to make the Olympic Grounds........"scowl"

Nephilim
July 6th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Haha, take that France! >: )

Kovu
July 6th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by King Simba
Ah yes, I just heard about it on BBC News.
It was between Paris, London and Singapore right?
Singapore's hosting the IOC Session, not taking part as a candidate. ;)

Lucy Lioness
July 6th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Grrrrr more tourists in Kent! :D Lol. I kinda have mixed feelings about this but I will shut up about that now. :D

W-Eyed-Wanderer
July 6th, 2005, 03:30 PM
I think it must have been our presentation video that won it...and that great tune by Heather Small.

I'm really glad we got it...especially after Jacques Chirac mocking British food the other day...*ahem*

Relations between the UK and France aren't exactly at a high point right now...not that they ever were but still. Score one for the UK!

:D :p

Iestyn
July 6th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Taken from the Yorkshire Evening Post, Tuesday 5 July 2005
ANGLO-FRENCH relations showed no signs of improving after the French president Jacques Chirac made jibes about British food.
Tony Blair's old sparring partner made a diplomatic boob when he was heard telling a series of anti-British jokes at an international conference.
Mr Chirac said "you can't trust people who cook as badly as that" and said of Britain "after Finland, it's the country with the worst food."
Apparently unaware that his microphone was on, he also said that Britain's only contribution to European agriculture was "the mad cow." Mr Chirac was caught out as he joked with the German premier Chancellor Schroeder and Russian President Putin ahead of this week?s Olympic decision and the G8 summit.

Critics say his comments could backfire and help London?s bid, pointing out that Finland, which he slighted in his remarks, has two votes on the committee that makes the decision.
Tony Blair, who will meet Mr Chirac this week at the international summit, shrugged off the remarks.
He said, as he took part in a final push for Britain?s bid for the games in Singapore: ?I don?t want particularly at this moment to be tempted down that path. What I am concentrating on is to do our level best for this Olympic bid in which we believe passionately and then to have a G8 focused on poverty in Africa and climate change which I think are two major issues that face the world. Everything else to me comes a long way behind those things

Well it was true, London did get the Olympics. Thank you Chirac!!! x)

LunarCat
July 6th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Yay! it's not in New York! didn't want all those people around. We have enough as it is. :p

Fear The Paw
July 6th, 2005, 04:17 PM
MAybe just maybe. Lunarcat.

Ngatuny
July 6th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Yes I saw this too, I think it will be great to have the olympics in the UK.:D:cheese:

Fear The Paw
July 6th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Good as always

nafklt
July 6th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Awesome! 'Twas on TV!:P Congratulations to London and all fellow British members!:cheese:

I still can't wait till the 2010 Olympics here in Vancouver!:D