PDA

View Full Version : Book Talk

la_reina
July 5th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I'd like to thank Mizani for this idea :D
So, well, it's obvious what we're supposed to talk about here, right? Everyone recommends books to each other without giving spoilers. I go to the library often and sometimes leave empty handed because I can't find anything to read so, tell everyone your ideas :D

TakaTiger
July 5th, 2005, 03:28 PM
The Art Of Being A Lion! the only book i own! :D

la_reina
July 5th, 2005, 03:30 PM
:lol: Okay...how about I recommend one.

If anyone here likes novels, then read Necessary Roughness by Marie G. Lee :D I'm in a hurry, so I'll post a passage later.

IchLiebeNALA
July 5th, 2005, 03:31 PM
hehe, i would Recommend "The Coming Global Superstorm".

it probabally wont be your sort of read, but i read it because it was the book that inspired "The day After Tomorrow".

but apart from that one, "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" is good too

Iestyn
July 5th, 2005, 03:31 PM
I don't like reading, which is mainly the reason why I only ever look at the pictures in a book x)

nathalie
July 5th, 2005, 03:32 PM
I have 1 book, which I bought 2 years ago, and got it from the 10-12 year old section, haha ...

If only I can find the English name of the book ... aha :knowdees: : Charmed life (in Dutch: the 9 lives)

Atimon
July 5th, 2005, 04:00 PM
I highly recommend books written by Dan Brown, for example 'Angels and Demons', 'The Davinci Code' (in which TLK is mentioned ;) ), 'Digital Fortress' and 'Deception Point'. I'm reading 'The Davinci Code' at the moment and I've still got to read 'Digital Fortress'. I like his books very much, those are great Thrillers! Especially since they include 'organisations' from our 'daily life' and show how dangerous they and their technologies can be..

Besides books written by Dan Brown I like Books by Walter Moers, a german author, who wrote 'The 13 1/2 lives of Captain Blaub?r' (Don't know if they translated Blaub?r in something like Bluebear in the english version) and 'Rumo'. He also wrote some other books which i can recommend as well. :)

I also used to read books by Stephen King, such as 'The Girl who loved Tom Gordon', 'It' of course and 'Shining' - also thrilling books but much more 'bloody' than Dan Brown for example, so ask yourself if you like that kind of books before you start reading.. ;)

unregistered user
July 5th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Hmm.. I'm mostly into ficiton, true stories only interest me if they have to do with anything but something you'd find int he news. When I read I want to be carried off to another world, not concentrating on the one I'm in =P

Thus, I go for 'The Chronicles of Narnia' of course! xP

Some other good books I'd say are the classics. Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer, Moby Dick, Gulliver's Travels, The Hunchback of Notre Dame (movie is better though xD), 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, etc.. books like that ;)

One true story that I did enjoy eading was 'The Wounded Spirit' by Frank Peretti (usually a fiction writer, this being his only true story).

Oh, and I can't forget the Bible :p Muaha!

LunarCat
July 5th, 2005, 06:11 PM
The Five People You Meet in Heaven-Mitch Albom - spectacular

Tamsin-Peter S. Beagle- set in Dorset, England. About a girl (Jenny<that's my name!) and a ghost-awesome

Snow-Tracy Lynn-a new twist on Snow White

Secret Heart-David Almond -awesome book

Abarat-Clive Barker - spectacular

Warriors:Into the Wild-Erin Hunter - this is an awesome series, but i suggest you start with the first book and read in sequential order

The Garden-Elsie V. Aidinoff - if you are a true Catholic, i suggest you don't read it. If you are very open-minded on the topic of the bible stories, i suggest you read it.

:D :cheese:

nafklt
July 5th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Serengeti Shall Not Die- Bernhard & Michael Grzimek

LionKingxx
July 5th, 2005, 07:07 PM
In the Snow Anita S(just finished it) and re reading Goblet of Fire :cheese:

la_reina
July 5th, 2005, 07:09 PM
How bout some brief summaries on these books? :D

IchLiebeNALA
July 5th, 2005, 07:20 PM
well, like i said before, The Coming Global Superstorm is basically like The Day After Tomorrow. It is about a huge storm that threatens the planet.

and the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is about earth being destroyed to make way for a hyperspace bypass. and the story of Arthur Dent (a random person who was rescued before earth was destroyed) and how he finds out the earth was destroyed. you find out the meaning of life, meet a bbel fish, and laugh your head off.

unregistered user
July 5th, 2005, 07:51 PM
(spolier warning!)

'The Chronicles of Narnia' are about Aslan and the world of Narnia that he created and how kids form our world venture into this mystical world and interact with the people and creatures there. The Magician?s Newphew tells how Digory and Polly find Narnia when it first begins (being present during the Creation). Then the story continues with The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe in which Narnia has aged around 1000 years while Earth has only aged about forty years. Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy- four children as well, find a wardrobe and thus discover the world of Narnia, and Aslan the creator of Narnia. In The Horse and his Boy a Narnian horse named Bree and a Calormenian boy name Shasta venture to the land of Narnia to escape the evil lands of Calormen. Then in Prince Caspian, Earth has aged about a year, but Narnia has advanced about another thousand years. Some people from our world have invaded Narnia and taken control. Now Prince Caspian with the help of Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy must try to defeat the people of our world with the help of Narnia?s mythical creatures. The next book, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader- Edmund and Lucy return to Narnia with their cousin Eustace and together they sail across the uncharted oceans of Narnia to try to find Aslan?s home. In The Silver Chair, Eustace and Jill a friend of Eustace?s, go to Narnia and try to find and rescue the son of the King. In the final book, The Last Battle (my personal favorite), a fake Aslan marches around Narnia demanding horrible things of the inhabitants of Narnia, and finally the entire world of Narnia faces destruction as the tales of Narnia conclude.

?The Wounded Spirit? by Frank Peretti tells the story of the author growing up in school and the horrors of being bullied; showing that there is a chance for this to stop if people are willing. How rules hold society together as well. He gives advice and consul not only to those that have been bullied, but to the bullies as well.

The Classics, and the Bible well, they?re pretty popular and pretty much everyone has a general idea of them already. If not, just PM/IM me about ?em =P

2 Die FR
July 5th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by TakaTiger
I checked that out of the library, great book, love the pics!

moonibear
July 5th, 2005, 08:06 PM
1984--George Orwell

Totally awesome political book. You all might have heard of it, it's pretty popular. It's about a guy named Winston being a rebel against the law of the famous 'Big Brother'. It gets pretty nailbiting.

The Odyssey--Homer

Greek mythology. About Odysseus and his troubles with coming back from the Trojan War.

I'm a dork, I know.

nafklt
July 5th, 2005, 08:13 PM
1984 is an awesome book!:cool: So is Animal Farm...:P

moonibear
July 5th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Isn't though?? I'm planning on reading animal farm soon.

unregistered user
July 5th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Conn Iggulden - Emporer, Gates of Rome
and Death of kings
(not sure if I translated that one correctly)

And of course Dan Browns books

Angels and Demons, The Da vinci code.

LunarCat
July 5th, 2005, 08:19 PM
The Five People You Meet in Heaven -Mitch Albom - Eddie is a wounded war veteran, an old man who has lived, in his mind, an uninspired life. His job is fixing rides at a seaside amusement park. On his 83rd birthday, a tragic accident kills him as he tries to save a little girl from a falling cart. He awakes in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a destination. It's a place where your life is explained to you by five people, some of whom you knew, others who may have been strangers. One by one, from childhood to soldier to old age, Eddie's five people revisit their connections to him on earth, illuminating the mysteries of his "meaningless" life, and revealing the haunting secret behind the eternal question: "Why was I here?"

Abarat -Clive Barker - It Begins in the Most boring place in the world: Chickentown, U.S.A. There lives Candy Quackenbush, her heart bursting for some clue as to what her future might hold.
When the answer comes, it's not one she expects. Out of nowhere comes a wave, and Candy, led by a man called John Mischief (whose brothers live on the horns on his head), leaps into the surging waters and is carried away. Where? To the Abarat: a vast archipelago where every island is a different hour of the day, from The Great Head that sits in the mysterious twilight waters of Eight in the Evening, to the sunlit wonders of Three in the Afternoon, where dragons roam, to the dark terrors of Gorgossium, the island of Midnight, ruled over by the Prince of Midnight himself, Christopher Carrion. As Candy journeys from one amazing place to another, making fast friends and encountering treacherous foes -- mechanical bugs and giant moths, miraculous cats and men made of mud, a murderous wizard and his terrified slave -- she begins to realize something. She has been here before. Candy has a place in this extraordinary world: she is here to help save the Abarat from the dark forces that are stirring at its heart. Forces older than Time itself, and more evil than anything Candy has ever encountered. She's a strange heroine, she knows. But this is a strange world. And in the Abarat, all things are possible.

Warriors:Into the Wild -Erin Hunter - Fire alone can save our clan...
For generations, four Clans of wild cats have shared the forest according to the laws laid down by their warrior ancestors. But the ThunderClan cats are in grave danger, and the sinister ShadowClan grows stronger every day. Noble warriors are dying ? and some deaths are more mysterious than others. In the midst of this turmoil appears an ordinary house cat named Rusty . . . who may turn out to be the bravest warrior of them all.

The Garden -Elsie V. Aidinoff - Narrated by Eve, The Garden follows her introduction to life, to the Garden of Eden and the Serpent, her mentor there, and to her gradual comprehension of what God has planned for her as the mother of humankind. Passionate, witty, beautifully drawn, and utterly unforgettable, The Garden, a debut novel, offers new insights and personalization of a story that forms a cornerstone of our understanding.

Neverwhere-Neil Gaiman - Richard Mayhew is a plain man with a good heart-and an ordinary life that is changed forever on a day he stops to help a girl he finds bleeding on a London sidewalk. From that moment forward he is propelled into a world he never dreamed existed0a dark subculture lfourishing in abandoned subway stations and sewer tunnels below the city-a world far stranger and more dangerous than the only one he has ever known...

King Simba
July 5th, 2005, 08:40 PM
I don't read books that often but here's a summary for a book that I've had for a while and previously read:

Deadly Creatures by Steve Pollock.

Come face to face with some of natures most dangerous animals in Collins Trailblazers Deadly Creatures. Discover how hungry tigers stalk, poisonous spiders spin, cobras swallow and much, much more.

Special see-through acetate pages, wheels, tabs, flaps and windows make this exciting book truly interactive.

Since I haven't read it in a while, I can't really give you a proper review or summary of the book. However, it did contain the information as stated above. :hmm:

Dare
July 5th, 2005, 08:43 PM
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
""For all his attention to my historical education, my father had neglected to tell me this: history's terrible moments were real. I understand now, decades later, that he could never have told me. Only history itself can convince you of such a truth."

I'm only up to chapter 22....this sucker is 656 pages, but thus far it's great. I have three words for you - Vlad the Impaler. Not ringing a bell? Try "Dracula".
Yes, this is a fiction book but it does discuss a very real historical figure...sort of.
It's kind of hard for me to describe it, since I don't know where to begin. If you want a serious review, check out Amazon.com or something. All I can say is the suspense is killing me. It's definately worth reading if you have the time/attention span.
:evilgrin:

Sombolia
July 5th, 2005, 08:45 PM
I'd reccomend the Bartimaeus Trilogy, by Jonathan Stroud. I've only the read the first one, but it was really good. :thinks:

I'm not good at descriptions, so I'll let it speak for itself: http://www.bartimaeustrilogy.com/

Aurelian
July 5th, 2005, 10:11 PM
I am really into si-fi. The series that I really fell in love with is "The Dragon Riders of Pern" by Anne McCaffery. It is way to complex to explain, but is is the on goiing stories of a primitive soociety(Seemingly in the days of dinosaurs or at least early midevil) run by dragonriders, or people chosen to be the companions and riders of the great dragons that protect the world.

If you like anthro si-fi humor, check out "The Chanur Legacy" series, by C.J. Cherrie. It is sort of like Star Wars, only with a race of anthro-felines known as Hani. Funny thing is, the females run the race, and the males are treated like dirt.

Finally, one of my favorite series of all time is "Acorna the Unicorn Girl", also by Anne McCaffery. This one is about a alien girl that is half human and half unicorn, and her journey through life, from being found and addopted by astroid miners to finding her people.

If you like sentimental and touching stories, my all time favorite book is "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls. This book comes out of Si-Fi and into stories of life. It tells of the companion ship betwenn two hound dogs, their teenage ownner, and eachother. It takes place in a very country setting, with lots of hunting and tracking (all for food, of course. These people were poor.)

Katse
July 5th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Since some of my favorite books were already mentioned, I'll say Waking Walt. It goes along with the urban legend of Walt Disney being cryogenetically frozen and what happens when he is awaken. It's a very good book if you like learning about Walt. There's a TLK sighting in there, too!

lion_roog
July 5th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Hmm...if you like baseball, I would suggest "Cobb" by Al Stump. It tells the story of possibly the meanest sports star in the history of modern sports, from when he grew up in Georgia to his legendary feats on the field to his little attended funeral. The "Georgia Peach" entered baseball with no friends, and he left the game with no more than three friends. His take no prisoners attitude on and off the field bought him enemies wherever he went, whether it be entire cities such as Phillidephia or most of his teammates on his own team. Despite all of his confrontations both on and off the field, Ty Cobb went on to become the greatest player baseball has ever known, and the most despised players professional sports has ever known.

:D

Sombolia
July 6th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by Roquivo
I am really into si-fi. The series that I really fell in love with is "The Dragon Riders of Pern" by Anne McCaffery. It is way to complex to explain, but is is the on goiing stories of a primitive soociety(Seemingly in the days of dinosaurs or at least early midevil) run by dragonriders, or people chosen to be the companions and riders of the great dragons that protect the world.

If you like anthro si-fi humor, check out "The Chanur Legacy" series, by C.J. Cherrie. It is sort of like Star Wars, only with a race of anthro-felines known as Hani. Funny thing is, the females run the race, and the males are treated like dirt.

Finally, one of my favorite series of all time is "Acorna the Unicorn Girl", also by Anne McCaffery. This one is about a alien girl that is half human and half unicorn, and her journey through life, from being found and addopted by astroid miners to finding her people.

I've herd of the Dragon Riders of Pern before.. I might have to check it out, what with your reccomendation and all. :ayecapn: And the others too, of course.. they sound really interesting. I <3 sci-fi. xP (and no, that love isn't rescricted to SW, because it's not even really sci-fi.. um..thought I'd say that.)

LionKingxx
August 11th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Harry and Potter and the Blood Prince is really good book :)

don't want to spoil any one else if not read it yet

Juniper
August 11th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by TakaTiger

That is a great book, especially the photography :)

I think 1984 has to be my favorite, not really because it's that great of writing (though it is), but because it speaks a lot about society, where it's been, and where it could go given the wrong circumstances. I usually enjoy the classics, like the Crucible, To Kill a Mockingbird, Moby Dick, etc... but I also like Michael Crichton boooks.

I think that that everyone on Earth should read the Bible and every other major religion's texts, as that would help promote an understanding of eachother's culture and would drastically reduce religious ignorance. (ie., "The Bible says that *insert racial, sexist, or other discriminatory comment here*" "No it doesn't, I've read the Bible, and you're an idiot.")

The World is Flat and The Art of pi (ya know, that mathematical term "pi") are also great books that everyone should look into. The World is Flat talks about the future of the world (and it's happy for the most part) in the field of everything from the possibility that Open-Source projects may be the new Microsoft to the fact that countries such as China and India are catching up with the World (which isn't so bad, if you read about it).

The Art of pi is very... strange, but humorous. For part of the book, a zookeeper/animal transport person has to abandon a ship and a tiger manages to make it into the life raft, so now the guy's a castaway stuck with a 450 pound tiger in a life raft.

Another Tomato
August 11th, 2005, 06:03 PM
I guess I'll recommend some of my favourites:

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
Probably my favourite book, Don Quixote follows the (mis)adventures of an insane man who thinks he's a knight, and his simple (yet witty) squire. Although it's definitely not for everyone: some people might be put off by the sheer length (900something pages), or by the fact that it is much more of a series of connected episodes rather than a tightly constructed plot. But the charming characters and comical situations are enough to bring a smile to my face. I recommend the Edith Grossman translation.

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoeyvsky
If you're in a philosophical or intellectual mood, then this might interest you. It is the story of three brothers and the plights they go through in the middle of a family crisis. Along the way, there is much religious and philosophical speculation. It should be noted though that this book is very dense material and features paragraphs that can go on for pages and (towards the end) speeches that last for chapters. So if you decide to read this novel, be prepared to tackle a behemoth. I recommend the Pevar and Volokhonsky translation.

A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving

A charming story that is both humorous and tragic. It centers on the life of a dwarfish boy named Owen Meany and his best friend, John Wheelright. When Owen inadvertantly kills John's mother in a freak accident at a baseball game, he becomes convinced that he is God's instrument. Thus begins a long tale.

The Castle by Franz Kafka

The surreal story of a man known only as K. and his battle with an authority in order to gain entrance to 'The Castle'.

Any collection of short stories by Edgar Allan Poe is worth checking into if you like stories about madness and mystery.

The Elements Of Style by William Strunk Jr and E.B. White
A nonfiction rererence book. If you're planning on getting into a career in which writing plays an important part, this is the book to read. Rather than tell you how to write a good essay, or story (those books are mostly bogus), this one focuses purely on how to make your writing style neat, clean and polished. Refer to it when you're writing an essay, short story, novel, or anything else written in prose, and you'll see a great improvement that both you and your reader can appreciate.

That's all for now. I'll probably post a few more books later.

Lucy Lioness
August 11th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by LionKingxx
Harry and Potter and the Blood Prince is really good book :)

don't want to spoil any one else if not read it yet

Disappointing for the Harry-Hermoine Shippers though!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

unregistered user
August 11th, 2005, 08:55 PM
:Spolier alert:

Psycology for dummies. It ends with me becomeing a psycologist.

la_reina
August 11th, 2005, 10:15 PM
:lol: We all hope so :p

Sombolia
August 11th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Lucy Lioness
Disappointing for the Harry-Hermoine Shippers though!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

THE HARMONY IS SUNK!! WOOHOO!! *dances little jig of anti H/Hr ness*

But as for a certain pink haired SOMEBODY and a certain werewolf SOMEBODY.. ;_;

*ahem*

Have any of you ever read Dogsbody? It looks interesting, if you can get over the fact that the main character's name is Sirius, can turn into a dog, and is framed for a crime he didn't commit o_______o

Mizani
August 12th, 2005, 12:28 PM
The last book I read was called "Cry of the Icemark"

Its a really good book, and I reccomend it to anyone who's willing to sit down and bury yourself in a good fantasy novel.
I give it a 9 & 1/2 out of 10:cheese:

Kijana
August 12th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Lions Share: The Story of a Serengeti Pride by Jeannette Hanby and David Bygott. Written and illustrated by a couple who did lion research in the early 70s. It tells the story of the Semetu Pride from the lions' point of view. A wonderful read which I found informative and I also enjoyed the black and white drawings that went along with it depicting the various lions in the story and life on the plains. However, the book is out of print so either check your area libraries or go browsing used book stores.

The Lions of Savuti: Hunting with the Moon by Dereck and Beverly Joubert. An illustrated book put out by the National Geographic Society, it concerns the lions of the Savuti, located northeast of the Okavango Delta in northern Botswana.

The works of Charles de Lint, a Canadian author. Many of his novels and stories have a weaving of Celtic and Native American motifs with spirits, faery, and the like. A good number of his works take place in the fictional North American city of Newford and his characters are ordinary, everyday people that we can relate to. Here's an excerpt from the inside jacket to one of his short story volumes.

The city of Newford could be any contemporary North American city...except that magic lurks in its music, in its art, in the shadows of its grittiest streets, where mythic beings walk disguised. And its people are like you and me, each looking for a bit of magic to shape their lives and transform their fate.

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, a Lebonese-American poet, philosopher, artist. I highly recommend his works with their beautiful words. This is his most famous work. Here's an excerpt...

And a man said, "Speak to us of Self-Knowledge."
And he answered, saying: Your hearts know in silence the secrets of the days and the nights. But your ears thirst for the sound of your heart's knowledge. You would know in words that which you have always known in thought. You would touch with your fingers the naked body of your dreams.

And it is well you should. The hidden well-spring of your soul must needs rise and run murmuring to the sea; And the treasure of your infinite depths would be revealed to your eyes. But let there be no scales to weigh your unknown treasure; And seek not the depths of your knowledge with staff or sounding line. For self is a sea boundless and measureless.

Say not, "I have found the truth," but rather, "I have found a truth." Say not, "I have found the path of the soul." Say rather, "I have met the soul walking upon my path." For the soul walks upon all paths. The soul walks not upon a line, neither does it grow like a reed. The soul unfolds itself, like a lotus of countless petals.

soulImbibe
August 12th, 2005, 11:47 PM
I recently finished the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy series and I'd recommend them to anybody that likes humorous sci-fi. It does get a little tedious during the middle but the great wit found throughout is worth the effort.

If you're into math and science, the two books I've read by Brian Greene are very good: "The Elegant Universe" and "The Fabric of the Cosmos." I'm actually still reading Fabric but based upon what I've gotten through so far it is excellent.

Although not a book, the Zig Zag story at www.zzstudios.com is well-worth a read for any furry fans here. It's very long so it will take you a while to get through the whole thing. Also, if anyone is familiar with the Sabrina comic there is a story that accompanies that at www.furnation.com/chrisfoxx/. These series are both ongoing but do not get updated very frequently.

I'm about to start The Da Vinci Code to see what all the fuss was about. Regarding the TLK reference, I cheated and looked it up. Technically it's incorrect because he said the "S-E-X" freeze frame was from the DVD. However, the version released on DVD was the cleaned IMAX movie without the mysterious word.

Alli
August 12th, 2005, 11:49 PM
I'm currently being forced to read, "Flowers For Algernon." It's so i can enter honors english.

It's about this man who's been mentally retarded all his life and has recently been attending a school to help him learn to read and write. He was chosen for a special surgery to help him be able to learn faster and soon he becomes a genius and the rest just goes on about his life. I haven't reached the end though. Anybody read it?

soulImbibe
August 12th, 2005, 11:55 PM
I had to read Flowers for Algernon a while back in high school.

www.sparknotes.com

Alli
August 13th, 2005, 12:20 AM
That is a really helpful site, thanks!

soulImbibe
August 13th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Yeah sparknotes got me through 11th and 12th grade lit/civ classes. Not so much for the reading part, which is easy to do if you have the time and resolve, but more for the comprehension part.

Huma
August 13th, 2005, 01:57 AM
I have a suggestion, how about we catalog our recommandations into :
fiction&literatue/science/fantasy/historical

That will make it easier to browse :cheese:

I recommand:
Fantasy: The War of Ancient trilogy by Richard A. Knaak. and The Last Guardian by Jeff Grubb. Both are great book for Warcraft fans and general fantasy reader.

Fiction&Literature: Sens & Sensibility by Jane Austen. This recommadation is for the classic fans. this book is incredible which deal with the social life of a typical middle-upper class family in 19th centural England. The ever self-concious vioce of the Jane Austen was never better convened.

science: Art of Being A Lion, yes, that's also the best in my collecitons. Another one is Tiger by Stephen Mills, provide variety of up-to-date information accompanied by quality photographs

Unclassified The Gentle Kindom by John Burkitt and David Mories. This is offical name of CoTPL and its related sequal. Despite what everyone have said about it, this novel remains the truest it not the best words I've ever read.

Lucy Lioness
August 13th, 2005, 02:12 AM
Ahhh....sparknotes, my saviour! :D

I am currently reading some children's books for my Children's Literature course at University. I have to read:

Some classical fairy tale collection.
A Wrinkle in Time by M. L. Engle.
Alice In Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.
The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis.
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling.
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L.F. Baum.

Has anyone read any of those? I have read the Harry Potter one, but that's it, lol.

:D

Sombolia
August 13th, 2005, 03:56 AM
I've read Philosopher's Stone and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.. I thought the latter was kinda boring :confused:

soulImbibe
August 13th, 2005, 06:33 AM
The C.S. Lewis Chronicles of Narnia should really be read as a whole series. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is the most popular book but it doesn't go into much detail about the world that Lewis created.

Darkslash
August 13th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Good Reads:

"Hunger of Memory: The Education of Richard Rodriquez" (autobiographical essays)

"Teaching a Stone to Talk" by Annie Dillard (crazy random musings)

Huma
August 13th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Sombolia
I've read Philosopher's Stone and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.. I thought the latter was kinda boring :confused:

shouldn't find that surprising if you know the time they were wrote have a difference of a half century.

Originally posted by SoulImbibe
The C.S. Lewis Chronicles of Narnia should really be read as a whole series. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is the most popular book but it doesn't go into much detail about the world that Lewis created.

in that regard, is The Migican's Nephew a far better one than the rest or it's just me?

Sombolia
August 13th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Huma
shouldn't find that surprising if you know the time they were wrote have a difference of a half century.

I wasn't comparing the two in any sense.. I was just saying, I thought it was boring. And yea, I'm aware of the time difference.

soulImbibe
August 13th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Huma
in that regard, is The Magican's Nephew a far better one than the rest or it's just me?

I personally like the 1st and the last book the most. Some people have other favorites but those seem to be the best-written.

Kiara Serengeti
August 13th, 2005, 04:22 PM
CHRONICLES OF NARNIA-C.S Lewis

A WRINKLE IN TIME and A WIND IN THE DOOR and MANY WATERS and A RING OF ENDLESS LIGHT by Madeliene L'Engle

ART OF THE LION KING =D

ONCE AND FUTURE KING-T.H White

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory-Roald Dahl

Kiara Serengeti
August 13th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by SoulImbibe
I personally like the 1st and the last book the most. Some people have other favorites but those seem to be the best-written.

My favorite is The Silver Chair .

LionKingxx
August 15th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Just wondering here has any one read or is reading The Time Traver's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger ? i m going to read it soon :)

la_reina
August 15th, 2005, 09:45 PM
:thinks: No...never heard of it, actually. Do you know what it's about?

Huma
August 16th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Sombolia
I wasn't comparing the two in any sense.. I was just saying, I thought it was boring. And yea, I'm aware of the time difference.

my misunderstanding then, just found interesting how fantasies changed with the era.

I personally like the 1st and the last book the most. Some people have other favorites but those seem to be the best-written

I havn't read the last one, got stuck on The Sliver Chair, thought this one revealed plot too quickly.

la_reina
August 16th, 2005, 12:09 PM
The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler :p Very good, though I must warn thee of profanity and sexual moments...sort of.

moonibear
August 16th, 2005, 06:33 PM
I'm currently reading Jane Eyre. I'm still kinda in the beginning. If anyone has read it, please give me your opinion, I would like to know if I should continue or not...

zazulover01
September 3rd, 2005, 03:03 AM
The greatest book, I think, is 'Fearless' by Francine Pascal. It's actualy a book series about a girl named Gaia (pronounced: guy-uh) who was born without the fear gene. There are 36 books in the series, at least 3 super editions, and now there is a new series called 'Fearless:FBI' where she's 20 and joins the FBI. The only bad thing that I can think of is that it's rated PG-13.

unregistered user
October 6th, 2005, 07:20 AM
"National Geographic's: Encyclopedia of SPACE"

-BY: Linda K. Glover.

la_reina
October 6th, 2005, 10:38 AM
''Like Water for Chocolate'' by Laura Esquivel :D Read this if you enjoy drama/romance. It's a little surreal in some ways, but it's a very good novel. After you read it, try and watch the film too :D

Kiara Serengeti
October 6th, 2005, 01:23 PM
"The Witch of Blackbird Pond" and "A Wrinkle in Time" are both good, even for adults--and I'm 16.

unregistered user
October 14th, 2005, 10:43 PM
"More Ghost Stories of Saskatchewan" by Jo-Anne Christensen.

la_reina
October 28th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Okay, about two nights ago, I finished a very sad book titled Kira-Kira. It's about a Japanese family struggling to live comfortably in Georgia. But the story really focuses on a pair of sisters that are closer than close. It's so sweet, but so sad at the end :(

Lion King Stu
October 28th, 2005, 07:10 PM
No way STL dude...Of Mice and Men is a great book...shame its so damn short.
We had to do little performances of some of the parts which was awesome and funny.
You could of got a much worse book STL...I think you got the easy of the books compared to other classes...if they got diffrent books like they did in my old school.

Anyway at the moment I am reading 'Immortal' by Christopher Pike for like the fifth time ^^.

unregistered user
October 28th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
I'm reading Of Mice and Men by... John Steinbeck I believe... his name is something like that anyway :D ... the book is... crap >_> ... but I have to read it for my English Literature GCSE :tears: :( ...

http://tinypic.com/f27hwh.jpg HAHA!

http://tinypic.com/f27hxu.jpg I got to read it for English too. Yea, but I'm reading The Old Man and The Sea right now, then Of Mice and Men, then Willy Shakey's Julius Caesar. http://tinypic.com/f27i4l.jpg I'M GUNNA DIE! I can't read stuff that I don't take interest in all too much.

King Simba
October 28th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Meh, my sister had to read a book called "Lord Of The Flies" for her GCSE coursework. Looks as though I won't have to read anything though since I've finished all my coursework... yay.

Just the bleedin' exams now. >.>

unregistered user
October 28th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Wow, wanna talk about Freaky StL? I just got Of Men and Mice 2 seconds ago from UPS HAHA.

Lord of the Flies. Wow. What a Book. It's used as a classical family referance book for the Zacharko Household here. What do you mean you finished all yer coursework KS?

King Simba
October 28th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Utora
Wow, wanna talk about Freaky StL? I just got Of Men and Mice 2 seconds ago from UPS HAHA.

Lord of the Flies. Wow. What a Book. It's used as a classical family referance book for the Zacharko Household here. What do you mean you finished all yer coursework KS?
Finished all the essays and stuff we need to do for our GCSE exams. For some reason they never got us reading a book. O_o

unregistered user
October 28th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Wow. It is WAY different, than my curiculum. We have like, 5 days of school on a web site, and lemme think, Spanish, Math, English, Web Design, Biology, and Bible, and you have something to do in them each day. Except for Web Design, that's every other day. We do on-line reading, free responeses, discussions boards, and thats about it. We sometimes of have a quiz at the end of the week. At the end of the quarter, [4 quarters in all] we have a Test in each course about everything we learned. We don't do SAT or any of that stupid STATE TESTS stuff. But we do read ALOT of books.

http://tinypic.com/f27r6v.jpg

Why do I get the feeling we'll have one at the very end of the year.

Lucy Lioness
October 28th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Lord of the Flies is a good book, I read it in my own time though, not for school. =D I am reading Peter Pan at the moment, for University. And a bunch of articles on the Novikov Telegram. Then I have to get through Dr Faustus by Christopher Marlowe. Ick. Hehe.

unregistered user
December 7th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Dreamcatcher by Stephen King.

Kopa
December 7th, 2005, 06:12 AM
I'm currently reading 'Eldest' by Christopher Paolini. It's a pretty good book. It's the second in the Inheritance Trilogy. The first book (Eragon) was also pretty good, I mean I got into it and I usually don't get into books :p

I agree with you LKS , Of Mice and Men is a great book. I just wish it wasn't so short. Another book I read a few years ago was 'To Kill a Mockingbird' I was the only one in my class that actually liked reading the book :hehe: Another book I liked reading was 'Lord of the Flies' :cheese:

Azerane
December 7th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Did you know that he was only about 15 when he wrote Eragon, how amazing is that.

Kopa
December 7th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Azerane
Did you know that he was only about 15 when he wrote Eragon, how amazing is that.
Yeah I know...I was shocked when I found that out. I found it out after I finished reading the book :p

Azerane
December 7th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Yeah, it's pretty amazing stuff for someone of that age, he has a great imagination, I started reading Eragon but unfortunatly I didn't get to far in it, can't remember why, I'll have to read it again some day as well as the second book.

Sombolia
December 7th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Right now I'm reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis, again.. we all got free copies at my school, even though I already have a huge book with the entire Narnia series. :P I really oughta read them sometime..

I've read a bit of Eragon, but I didn't get too far, it seemed like the pace was going slooooow and it bored me. I might pick it up again sometime, I dunno.. yeah.. I did a book report on it and I didn't even finish the book. XD I dunno what I got on that, I don't wanna know either lol..

We're reading short stories in my L.A. class, we just finished No-Guitar Blues by Gary Soto and we have to write a response to literature on it. I can relate to the main character, I really want a guitar but I dunno if we can afford one.. xP

Mizani
December 7th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by la_reina
''Like Water for Chocolate'' by Laura Esquivel :D Read this if you enjoy drama/romance. It's a little surreal in some ways, but it's a very good novel. After you read it, try and watch the film too :D
I have to read this for school when I'm in year 12. From what my brother says, its pretty good, so I may try reading sometime next year.

Anyway, I haven't posted in this thread for a while, so recently, I've read Inkspell by Cornelia Funk, The Children of the Lamp and the Blue Djinn of Babylon by P.B Kerr, Cry of the Icemark by Stuart Hill, and the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy by Douglas Adams.
I love fantasy, so if you like fantasy, then you should read these. Even if you don't, Hitchhikers Guide is more Sci-fi I guess, but its got some good humor in it.

Simbaspirit
December 8th, 2005, 01:21 AM
i read about a novel a day, so ive read lots of good books. i like born free, the recruit, *goes on for hours*

Kiara Serengeti
December 10th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Azerane
Yeah, it's pretty amazing stuff for someone of that age, he has a great imagination, I started reading Eragon but unfortunatly I didn't get to far in it, can't remember why, I'll have to read it again some day as well as the second book.

Honestly, about Eragon...I'm an authoress my self, though unpublished, and I love writing. I give no great praise to my writing, though I've been called 'gifted'. I'm no Mark Twain or Charles Dickens or George Eliot. But anyway, I thought Eragon was the biggest bit of plagerism I've ever read. A lot of the names as well as creatures\descriptions were like Tolkein!!!

Azerane
December 10th, 2005, 02:28 PM
^Hmmm... that's interesting, I've never read any of Tolkein's books myself so I wouldn't really know... but I'll have to look into that, you've got me all curious now...

@Simbaspirit: I read born free and living free (didn't quite get to read forever free before I had to return it ot the library) but anyway, I cried reading born free... as pathetic as that may seem, hehe, it was just so sad.

la_reina
December 10th, 2005, 02:44 PM
My brother loves the Eragon books. I think he's read both the first and second ones. I can't really get into them, and neither can Mooni. We find them boring, like we find our brother. And dorky. They seemed interesting to me at first, being a fantasy series. But, I dunno...just couldn't comprehend them. Maybe I'll give 'em a second chance when I'm extremely desparate for something to read...

Lucy Lioness
December 10th, 2005, 02:50 PM
I'm currently reading The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier. In January we will be studying it in my Children's Literature class, so I am getting ahead.

*Is a geek* :D

I recently read The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. That was great! :D That was for class, too. I don't read anything but course books now...but I am getting the Narnia books for Christmas. :D The Lion, Witch and The Wardrobe was a part of my course and I loved it so I want the whole set. :D

la_reina
December 10th, 2005, 02:53 PM
That's cool, Lucy :D I still need to read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe before I get a chance to see the movie. BTW, wasn't The Secret Garden written by Charles Dickens...? :confused:

Lucy Lioness
December 10th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by la_reina
BTW, wasn't The Secret Garden written by Charles Dickens...? :confused:

Nope. :D It was written by a woman called Frances Hodgson Burnett. :D

Nephilim
December 10th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Keeping the Aspidistra Flying: just an amazing piece of writing. Seriously, I rec the Hell out of it. Go read!

By mister George Orwell.

unregistered user
December 11th, 2005, 07:57 PM
I'm reading like 3 books because one: I want to read them for fun and two : two of them are required for school and I'm 5 weeks behind in school. Then whatta you know, they suspend me cuz my mom forgot the payment so I have 15 days of freedom right there.

I'm Sir henry the 8th I am I am.

I'm reading : Charles Dickens 'Hard Times' -
Summer of my German Soldier *Every school year I have to read this :confused:* -
Treasure Island *I know,I know. Most people read this before they can speak but what are you gunna do* -
Star Wars 'Shatterpoint' A Clone Wars Novel

I like alot of the Star Wars Novels, they are very entertaining. I've read one about a trooper and his buddies a while back.

I have a question though. My brother in law has the Chronicle of Narnia books, and they place The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe as the FIRST book in the series. Isn't the Magicians Nephew first? I have newer ones, both in a book by themself, and also a GIANT book with all of them stored in there. But he has a 70's set. I wonder.

Barnaby Jones.

Cleto
December 11th, 2005, 08:06 PM
:( I just finished my book but I'm hopeing to buy 'The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe' :cheese:

Suki
December 11th, 2005, 09:47 PM
My favorite book series is the Dear Dumb Diary series by Jim Benton. Even if you're not in middleschool, it's a great laugh XD Even my 30 year old cousin wants to read it XD
Sample 1 (from the third book):

Dear Dumb Diary,

That?s right today is Thursday. And Thursday, at Mackerel Middle School and other penitentiaries, is traditionally Meat Loaf Day. That means it?s also the day we traditionally get all sorts of grief from Miss. Bruntford, the cafeteria monitor, for not finishing out meat loaf.

Today, I quietly mentioned that the people on Fear Factor wouldn?t be able to finish our meat loaf, either. Evidentially, I said it loud enough for Miss. Bruntford?s houndlike ears to pick up, because she came right over and said to me, ?What? What is so terrible about this meat loaf??

And then, Dumb Diary, she took a bite.

Okay, here?s the thing: I don?t hate teachers. I actually like some of them. (One time, I even saw one at the mall and she was buying underwear such as actual people wear.)

But When Miss Bruntford took a bite of the meat loaf, and her mouth was filled with the flavor that many have described as a combination of a petting zoo in July and a burning bag of hair, well, I have to tell you, it was a beautiful, beautiful moment.

I?m not even sure how to describe it exactly. I think Miss Bruntford herself summed it up best when she said?"Call 9-1-1!"

Sample 2 (from the first book):
Dear Dumb Diary,

School was okay today. Actually, it was better than okay. Angeline got her long, beautiful hair tangled in one of the jillion things she has dangling from her backpack, and the school nurse ? who is now one of my main heroes - took a pair of scissors and snipped two feet of silky blond hair from the left side of her head, so now Angeline only looks like The Prettiest Girl in the World if you're standing on her right. (Although personally, I think she would look better if I was standing on her neck.)

Lucy Lioness
December 13th, 2005, 04:58 PM
I erm...managed to 'get' my Narnia set early, hehe. :D I spent the afternoon reading 'The Magician's Nephew' and it was fantastic!! I can't wait to read the others.

I just love the cover art on the set I got. I didn't want the new one with the scenes from the movie, so I got a slightly older but still new version, before movie hype. :D *Points to sig* :browlift:

Monai
February 15th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I know this has been done before, but I'm not really one to go out of my way to search for a thread and revive it, probably because I'm too lazy, probably because I haven't started a thread in a while, maybe both. Or something like that.

So, um, post whatever about books here. Or anything about literature you want. I dunno, just whatever you want to post. Or post something you've wrote yourself (or if it's too long, a link to it from another website).

So, why did I start this? 2 reasons. First, I found out I'm gonna become a published author. Okay, it's one poem in an anthology of young people's work only available by mail order, but hell, it's a start.

Second, I just read Animal Farm by George Orwell, perhaps one of the best books I've ever read. If I can be bothered to elaborate on that later, I will. But for now, let's just say it's a bloody good read.

Lucy Lioness
February 15th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Yay! A literature thread. :D

And hi there, Monai, haven't seen you around in a while. :browlift: Congrats on the poem, my brother had a poem published in one of those anthology things I think.

Orwell is awesome. Enough said. I really need to re-read Animal Farm, haven't read it in years, it would fit in nicely with my Totalitarian State course. :D

I've pretty much been reading books just on my Children's Literature course recently. Favourites have been Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and The Secret Garden...as well as Peter and Wendy. Yesterday we were analysing Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in class...we were surprisingly harsh, lol.

nathalie
February 15th, 2006, 04:26 PM
No offense, but euhm ...

*threads merged*

Kopa
February 15th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I'm currently reading the Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins. I'm currently on the 9th book ( there are 15 in the series (12 main books and 3 prequals) It's an awsome series I mean I'm really engrossed in it. Oh yeah one prequal hasn't come out yet. It's called The Rapture.

Nephilim
February 15th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Memoirs of a Geisha!

Just a beautiful, beautiful book. You'll grow to love Sayuri.

Dare
February 15th, 2006, 11:07 PM
The Brief History of the Dead
by Kevin Brockmeier

I read it a couple weeks ago...kind of made my head hurt a little, but that's just because it has a rather interesting outlook on what happens after we die...I kinda liked it. =^^=

Makes me want to move to Antarctica though. ;)

Lucy Lioness
February 15th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Nephilim
Memoirs of a Geisha!

Just a beautiful, beautiful book. You'll grow to love Sayuri.

It really is a beautiful book. :D I read it a few years ago. :browlift:

Sombolia
February 16th, 2006, 12:34 AM
/dies. I finished The Adventures of Robin Hood for my Pentathalon class a few days ago. Vedy, vedy boring, but I don't generally like reading things I've been forced to. Luuuuckily, I have dropped out of Pentathalon, so it doesn't really matter, gar. :D

So um, yes. I think I'll start reading The Lord of the Rings series now, since the farthest I ever got was halfway through The Hobbit, argh.

Kera
February 16th, 2006, 12:43 AM
I think Stephen King is an awesome writer, he writes horror and a lot of his books have been made into movies. You probably all already know that.
Another great writer is Brian Jacques, he wrote the Redwall series. You can find out more on his site http://www.redwall.org. :D

Zaya
March 3rd, 2006, 09:17 AM
Memoirs of a Geisha! - read it a few years ago to - great book!

Anyway, I recently read a book called The white Masai ( actually Die Weisse Massai ) and I thought I should let you guys know. It's an autobiography of a Swiss woman falling in love with a Massai and moving to Kenya. It really gives you a lot of insight into the African way of living from an ordinary persons point of view.

btw. for those who don't like to read (freaks! :lol: J/K ) there's a theatrical relase. It's in German and they focused on the whole love-drama thing but it's nice too.

Here's a link to the movie page: http://film.de/moviespecials.php/id/5749/ and go to Seite ?ffnen - love the music on the flash page =D

Eva Janus
March 6th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Someone has probably already mentioned this book, but Jurassic Park is a great one to read (my fav book, yay!). I absolutely love Michael Crichton's books! I enjoy the scientific explanations etc in the story. Besides, it's about DINOSAURS! Hehe, that's all you gotta say to me to get me to read a book like that. :lol:

Also, The Lord of the Rings books are great! I've only had time in my life to read each one once, but I will eventually re-read them in the future. It's just such a great storyline and (I know it sounds dramatic or like a pro or something, but seriously!) it kinda does take you on an adventure as you read. I loved those books so much!

If I think of others that are great, I'll be sure to post 'em here.

A-non-a-mus
March 7th, 2006, 04:33 PM
mt personal favorites are:

Lord of the rings - used to read these ones a lot...
Hobbit - see above...
Macbeth - I dunno why but I found it perfectly easy to read
Hamlet -... what can I say, great book ...
Bible - the one book I read the most :D and no, I'm not saying this because 'oh as a christian you must like this book the best ..' ... no I like it because it's very interesting all the things written within...

Timon
March 7th, 2006, 06:53 PM
I'm currently re-reading The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux. It's such a beautiful book, defently one of my all time favourites, and the only book that has ever made me cry. The final chapter (The End Of The Ghost's Love Story) just hurts my heart.

Monai
March 8th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Right now I'm reading Nineteen Eighty-Four XD

Eva Janus
March 9th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Currently in AP Lit, I'm reading Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. It's quite boring. :zzz:

Firestar
April 4th, 2006, 05:31 AM
The Warrors series by Erin Hunter
The Dinotopia series by James Gurney
the Temperance Brennan novels by Kathy Reichs
The Stand by Stephen King
I also read every Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Angel novel I can get hold of.

lion_roog
April 4th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by Monai
Right now I'm reading Nineteen Eighty-Four XD

Eerily accurate in a few aspects...:evilgrin:

Azerane
April 4th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I just re-read 'Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers'

and I'm halfway through the sequel 'Better Than Life'

both are great books, good for a laugh :D

Xinithian
April 4th, 2006, 11:44 PM
I've actually taken the time to read Order of the Phoenix for the first time. This is the first HP book I've read (the others I've seen as movies), and I actually really enjoy it. I like how JKR is to-the-point when it comes to details and doesn't spend much, if any, time on metaphors and unnecessary details (which is why I don't read much). Some say that JKR books are only for kids, but honestly, I think that it's really geared for anybody regardless of age who want to read a good book with dynamic characters and an interesting plot. A fault with a lot of authors and critics is that they get so caught up on using metaphors in their work (to feel good about themselves and be known as "intellectuals", even though they really don't understand the metaphors), that it's difficult for people to understand and turns a lot of people like me away from reading more often.

Nephilim
April 5th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Xinithian
I like how JKR is to-the-point when it comes to details and doesn't spend much, if any, time on metaphors and unnecessary details (which is why I don't read much)

That's the thing with JKR. She's not a fantastic writer - average at best - but she's a great story teller. Sadly, she can't write prose or romance to save her life, thus making the first six hundred or so pages of Half-Blood Prince somewhat... redundant.

Zaya
April 6th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Just read Waris Dirie's second book, Desert dawn...loved it!

Lucy Lioness
April 6th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Nephilim
That's the thing with JKR. She's not a fantastic writer - average at best - but she's a great story teller. Sadly, she can't write prose or romance to save her life, thus making the first six hundred or so pages of Half-Blood Prince somewhat... redundant.

I totally agree. :D Especially about the romance, lol.

I recently re-read Animal Farm by George Orwell, for a bit of vacation reading, lol. I hadn't read it since I was 14, and it was even more awesome than I remembered.

Whitewolf
April 6th, 2006, 01:12 PM
last time i touch a book ..http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/burning/bookburn.jpg

anyways that book call Snow Falling On Ceder is good also the one call The Golden compass iis nice

lionloversam
April 6th, 2006, 01:14 PM
A couple days ago I started reading the book "Odd Thomas".

Kopa
April 6th, 2006, 02:24 PM
I'm glad to say that I finished a book called The Rising: Antichrist is Born which is part of the series I've been reading. I am currently reading The Regime, which is a really good book. Of course the two I just mentioned are prequals and there is a third. ^_^

lionloversam
April 6th, 2006, 02:42 PM
@ Kopa: That sounds like the 'Left Behind' series. Is it?

Kopa
April 8th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by lionloversam
@ Kopa: That sounds like the 'Left Behind' series. Is it?

Yes it is :ayecapn: I really like it. ^_^ Have you read any of the books?

Utora
April 8th, 2006, 07:57 AM
I read so much and all at once, I'll choose my favorite atm.

Klaus Barbie : The Butcher of Lyons

I can't kill, so I'll read about some other Nazi that can, and maintain sanity for now.

@Wolfy; Yes, the book SFoC is very good. As is the soundtrack, and the movie.

lionloversam
April 9th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Kopa
Yes it is :ayecapn: I really like it. ^_^ Have you read any of the books?

My family (except my dad) read them togeather, we didn't read any of the more recent ones. I think there are like three or four we didn't read (I could be wrong on the number) And I read the first one in the 'kids' series. I like the 'adult' version better though.

Kiara Serengeti
October 14th, 2006, 09:57 PM
"Many Waters" by Madeliene L'Engle is classified as a young adult book, but is enjoyable for older people, also. It is about two boys who go back to the time of the Great Flood in the Bible, but this is no cheesy sci-fi book. It touches on sex (two boys are are attracted *wink* to one girl, while a rival girl tries to seduce one of the boys). It also touches on family loyalty, the importance of healing rifts between relatives, love, devotion, and other things. A deep and satisfying read.

Kapasa
October 15th, 2006, 10:52 AM
I liked The Hobbit and The LOTRs as well as The Hitch-hickers guide to the galaxy. Also Stormbreaker was a good book, ive read most of that series but I need to get the latest book in the series. I tryed Harry Potter I thought it was good when I was younger but now reading through the latest it wasnt for me anymore. Ive gotta get back into reading, ive sort of stopped this year.

Monai
October 15th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I recently read Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk. It is really weird when you read it because they threw any form of chronological order out the window. It begins with Evie Cottrell stood at the top of the stairs with a rifle, wearing what's left of a wedding dress. Brandy Alexander, "Queen Supreme" is bleeding at the foot of the stairs, begging the character stood over her, the narrator, to tell her about her life, as she believes she should have it flash before her eyes.

The narrator takes you through her time in La Paloma Memorial Hospital, the whirlwind journey of the past few months, and flashbacks of her and Evie, and her and her parents. It's a great book, and whilst everything seems incredibly confusing, by the end everything ties up pretty nicely.

princess_horse_xx
October 15th, 2006, 08:47 PM
I m reading Horse Whisperer Nicholas Evans

Kiara Serengeti
October 17th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Kingdomheart_fan
I m reading Horse Whisperer Nicholas Evans

Get ready for the most sick-o porn scene since Harlequin Temptation...I thought the book would be at least romantic, even if horses were surprisingly secondary in the book titled 'Horse Whisperer'. A description of a woman's er...bikini area in disgusting, precise detail and a long-winded tome about Tom and Annie's 'excitement' is still burned in my 'don't ever read again' file.

Kingdomheart_fan
October 17th, 2006, 10:55 AM
tell me about it did enjoy the book though

Now reading Frank McCourt Tiz

HasiraKali
October 18th, 2006, 12:14 AM
I'm about half way through Eragon. I like it so far. It took it a few chapters to really get started but now it's getting interesting. :)

DarkElf
December 7th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Son's been beging me to find my old copy of "The catcher in the Rye".

Nephilim
December 7th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Try Toni Morrison's Beloved, if you don't mind constant use of the word nigger and references to abuse/sexual abuse/child murder. It's an interesting look at blacks post-civil war, and the cruelty of slavery. Also, ghosts.

One of my favourite books. Characters are wonderful (albeit horrific in their own ways), story line is interesting, but I can see it being a bit much for some. Difficult to read in places, seeing as it has no grip on time frame, tense or perspective, and has an epic stream of consciousness, but worth it.

Stormfury
January 12th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Rare Earth: Why Complex Life Is Uncommon in the Universe, by Peter Ward.

LunarCat
January 12th, 2007, 09:26 PM
The Neverending Story ---by far a classic that needs to be read. PLease Please do!!!!!!

Kovu The Lion
January 12th, 2007, 09:34 PM
The Sight - Just a book about a pack of wolves that extends far beyond the reader's imagination, a very good read