PDA

View Full Version : Eurovision Song Contest 2011

KanuTGL
May 10th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Who's watching? :p

I'll admit that ESC is one of my guilty pleasures :lol: I'll watch with great interest every year, no matter how silly the hosts or how rubbish some entires are... It's just good fun. And sometimes you can even get a good few decent songs out of it, haha.

Semi-final 1 out of 2 was aired tonight. Sweden is competing in the next one on Thursday :eek:

So far I'm rooting for Hungary, Azerbaijan and Finland though; I really like their songs this year :3 That's three rather nice entries from Azerbaijan in a row. They apparently have some good song writers participating over there :P

Russia is also worthy of a mention, because of how utterly hilarious that song unintentionally is... xD

Shadow
May 11th, 2011, 06:36 AM
I refuse to watch it, due to the swedish entry its a damn disgrace nothing less!

King Simba
May 11th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I don't know if I'll be watching all of it, but I may just watch parts. Besides, our UK entries are never usually that good, but it's nice to see they've chosen quite a well-known band this time, and the song sounds nice too. Usually they choose any old randomer we haven't heard of... xP

So I'm quite happy with the UK entry this year. :) We won't win, but hopefully they'll get some points they deserve.

And of course, some of the songs that come out of it are quite amusing. Ukraine's entry in 2007 is actually a favourite of mine, simply because it's hilarious. So much I have the song on my iPod. :lol:

I haven't looked into the songs for this year, but I remember the Epic Sax Guy from last year. Who could forget him? :p So maybe I'll just watch it to curiously hear some of the songs, see how the other countries perform, and of course, see how the UK does.

If not, I'll just watch them back on YouTube or something and tune in to at least see the results.

Russia is also worthy of a mention, because of how utterly hilarious that song unintentionally is... xD
Now that certainly does seem tempting... :go-on:

Wide Eyed Wanderer
May 11th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I find myself watching it every year since it became a bit of an institution for me and a mate of mine when we were younger. We always watched it 'ironically' of course...
:psst:

Now my sister has a party every year and I'm heading up to hers this weekend for it...there's supposed to be around 20 people there and her house is pretty small so it could be interesting!
:lol:

Judging by last night's semi final though they are all struggling to stay in tune this year!
:lalala:

Revo
May 11th, 2011, 12:34 PM
I'll probably be watching aswell. Fortunately the Finnish entry isn't as despicable as last year. I haven't listened to any other country's songs yet, I guess I'll hear them Saturday for the first time.
And yes, last year we were all frantically rooting for the epic sax guy with a group of friends :lol:. I don't think anyone can watch the Eurovision and be serious about it. The hilarious entries are the best.

Wide Eyed Wanderer
May 11th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Your Finnish entry looks a bit of a Mummy's boy from what I saw last night!
:lol: :p

KanuTGL
May 11th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Haha, yes, I wonder if there will be anything this year that can match the Epic Sax Guy :lol:

...Let's post some songs :p

Here's this year's Russian entry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J4-T22p0y4&feature=related

"You look so good on the floor; put my mind in a dirty zone!"
"I'm coming to get you!"

Wait, what? :cringe: :lol:

Now for the ones I mentioned that are my favourites so far. And they're all in the final, yay! We'll see if any more get added to my list after tomorrow night, hehe :P

Azerbaijan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgE3bDH647M

Finland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoDsA9PutU4
His voice really reminds me of someone, but I can't think of who...

And Hungary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbKNKfePCrs&feature=relmfu

Revo
May 11th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Finland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoDsA9PutU4
His voice really reminds me of someone, but I can't think of who...
[/url]
James Blunt? That's the first thing I thought of when I first heard the song.

This Land
May 11th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Russia to win this year !

'nuff said :cheese:

nathalie
May 11th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Usually the French have to save our Flemish asses, lol, but not this year, haha.

Unique I guess ... no instruments, only beatbox ...
But just not my thing.

I don't even know why we keep spending money on that contest, we haven't been in the finals for like, forever ... lol.

Revo
May 14th, 2011, 07:27 PM
It's going on right now! :D

Your Finnish entry looks a bit of a Mummy's boy from what I saw last night!
:lol: :p
Yeah. You aren't?! What's wrong with you? :ooo:

King Simba
May 14th, 2011, 08:16 PM
I'm watching it right now. ;)

Just seen Moldova's entry. Now that is one of those odd ones... xP

Shadow
May 14th, 2011, 08:45 PM
i cant watch it all to much self torture.

KanuTGL
May 14th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Sweden was soo clooose! :ohno: Third is still the best we've done in many years though, so that's cool :P

And Azerbaijan won! Yay! :D Possibly my favourite entry this year, so I'm happy for them.

Revo
May 14th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Azerbaijan? Seriously, Europe? How was that song different from the other dozen or so up-beat pop songs entries. Honestly, if you're gonna throw in a dime-a-dozen pop song, atleast have it be catchy... Europe, I am dissappoint. Also because almost everybody kept voting for their neighbouring countries. I know it's something that happens every year, but does everybody not hate that? If so, why does it keep happening?

I would have personally gone with either Austria (amazing singer), Moldova (funny), France (something different for a change), Slovenia (another amazing singer) or Serbia (bright and retro).
Out of the top scoring entries Italy was my favourite.

King Simba
May 15th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I liked Azerbaijan's entry actually, but my parents didn't exactly have the same opinion either. I think they were worthy of winning. :)

And I'm quite pleased with how many points the UK and Ireland got this year, since I wasn't expecting it. Ireland's entry (Jedward) was quite good in its own way, even though I didn't really expect them to go so far, but they were pretty interesting. Plus I liked the fact that the voting there wasn't so predictable. They even got 12 points from Sweden, which was unexpected! 8O If it weren't for the UK, they wouldn't have existed, since they were on the X Factor 2 years ago. And I think our entry did pretty well too, even if it was just an average pop song. Quite a few people seemed to like it, and I wasn't expecting Italy to be up there at the top either.

Some of the voting appeared predictable for me as always, of course... xP But I enjoyed watching what I saw of it, and there were some good entries this year. I also like the fact that most of them sang in English, but even if they didn't, they still sounded pretty good. :ooo:

Sweden was soo clooose! :ohno: Third is still the best we've done in many years though, so that's cool :P
I only saw Sweden's entry on the flash back in the results, but when they were reading them out, I was thinking if Sweden won, you would've been quite happy. :lol:

HasiraKali
May 15th, 2011, 04:01 PM
They don't air it here, for obvious reasons, but I like to listen to the songs on Youtube as they're posted. I didn't really care for many of them this year. Last year, I liked quite a few. Belarus' this year cracked me up for some reason. :lol:

Wide Eyed Wanderer
May 18th, 2011, 09:57 AM
From what I can remember of the show (alcohol was imbibed!) it was all fairly entertaining this year. I like Azerbaijan's song, in terms of songs I may want to listen to after the contest it was probably the best. It was between them and Slovenia for me, and I picked the wrong one!
:p