PDA

View Full Version : War of the Worlds...

Simba '04
June 29th, 2005, 08:41 PM
is definitely going to be hard to beat for this summers best movie! I just got home from seeing it and it was AWESOME!!! Very creepy movie that had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. The ending could have used some work but I guess you could say it was ok. It is much different from the original War of the Worlds, so if you are expecting the same aliens hovering around, it's not going to happen. The aliens in this movie gave me the chills, they kind of reminded me of the aliens from ID4. Cruise did an excellent job in this movie and will probably get Best Actor. I'm not going to say a thing about the movie becuase it will ruin it, all I will say is that the Mustang in it was very cool :cheese:

but overall I give it a 9/10 because like I said, it could have had a better ending, so now GO SEE IT!!! :cheese:

p.s. also it showed the trailer for King Kong and it looks like a creepy movie and the T-Rex in it looks just like the one from Jurassic Park and King Kong is shockingly realistic! :eek:

King Simba
June 29th, 2005, 08:46 PM
I've got an opportunity to see this on the last day of term. Sounds pretty cool. I just may go...depends. ;)

Iestyn
June 29th, 2005, 08:47 PM
It certainly does look very decent, I shall see it when it comes out over here (Friday)

IchLiebeNALA
June 29th, 2005, 09:15 PM
i bet some people are suprised that i didnt start this, and maybe even more suprised that i havn't seen this film yet. but i promise you all that the manicaly depressed chicken will make it to the cinemas to see this film as soon as possible

Simba '04
June 29th, 2005, 09:27 PM
I'm not surprised you didn't start this thread :confused: actually I kind of thought people would have predicted me to make it first since I've been talking about it soo much like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Island :idiot: ;)

Dare
June 29th, 2005, 09:32 PM
I'm actually looking forward to seeing this movie...

...my only problem is...I'm not so sure I'll be able to watch Tom Cruise without picturing him jumping on Oprah's couch.

klowd
June 29th, 2005, 10:13 PM
I've just came back....I liked it.

TakaTiger
June 29th, 2005, 10:15 PM
meh, not something that seem interesting to me oO

unregistered user
June 29th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Yet another I really want to see but probably won't get to -__-

Bagheera
June 30th, 2005, 01:40 AM
I got tickets for later tonight=D

Ngatuny
June 30th, 2005, 02:15 AM
I'l probably see it on the weekend.

Simba '04
June 30th, 2005, 02:21 AM
the movie rocked!!! problem though...tonight is a thunderstorm and in War of the Worlds, it kind of has a thing with lightning and stuff and I'm kind of creeped out :idiot: so I think I'll leave my tv on ;)

Mabatu
June 30th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Wicked

...my only problem is...I'm not so sure I'll be able to watch Tom Cruise without picturing him jumping on Oprah's couch.

That sounds interesting :confused: :p

I'm sort of looking forward to seeing this movie, even if it's not a great movie i'm sure it'd be nice to see at the cinemas though, with all the special effects. :cheese:

Most of the things i've heard about it have been very positive, and some Australian critics gave it a very high rating, and they are usually pretty tight. The thing that puts me off a little bit is that Roger Ebert (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage) only gave it 2 stars, and he's usually pretty accurate to what i think :thinks:

unregistered user
June 30th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Roger Ebert is my hero :kovusmile xD

But seriously, I usually trust his reviews as well since he's genuinely right on aobut most movies.

Nalinda
June 30th, 2005, 11:09 AM
I wanna see it soon! :-)

Mabatu
June 30th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Ravoc
Roger Ebert is my hero :kovusmile xD

:lol:

For some reason, that made me laugh :p

But yes, i usually carefully note what Ebert says about movies, because i do find that i usually agree with him. He's a good guy ;)

SimbaGirl
June 30th, 2005, 06:30 PM
The mere thoughts of seeing it gave me nightmares last night. o_o

That can't be a good sign.

You say there's a Mustang in it?! Hmm. That reason alone might inspire me to be brave.

Hanshilo
June 30th, 2005, 07:37 PM
I will definately go and see this movie then, i have seen the trailer and it looks so cool. Stephan speilburg did it again, another great movie:ayecapn: I loved his land before times and fievel goes west:P
But this Wars of the world wahey a movie were the space invaders get another kick at earth...
King Kong???????:eek: :gasp: Craziness

A mustang hmmmmmmm i love mustangs, if anyone touches it , i'll have their heads lol :die: j/k:D

Kovster
July 1st, 2005, 01:47 PM
Heh, the mustang gets a less then 10 second spot in the movie. Though his kitchen looks like my other room. Engine parts laying all over the place.

Simba '04
July 1st, 2005, 04:09 PM
muwahahahaha :evilgrin: Yes the Mustang only gets to be in the movie for a short period of time :( but we get to see Cruise drive like a maniac in it :cheese: :lol: ;)

unregistered user
July 2nd, 2005, 02:38 AM
I already saw Star Wars and Batman Begins, now I want to see this movie! From '04's review, it sounds promising. ;)

nafklt
July 2nd, 2005, 04:15 AM
w00t! I'm seeing it tommorow!:P

unregistered user
July 2nd, 2005, 05:21 AM
Muahahahahaha! I'm going to go see it tomorrow! :cheese: My mom randomly decided to take me ^___^ *ish happy*

Now.. how to see Fantastic Four and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.. *plans*

Hanshilo
July 2nd, 2005, 09:42 AM
Imaginen what cruise is like in his own car.
Cruise wife/Gf: Drive safetley.
Cruise: oh i will.
Places it in second and Voom shoots of down the drive onto the road, and oof to work. Gets back home after work.
Cruise wife/Gf: Look at the car love, what you done to it?
Cruise: uh nothing... Just making sure the brakes work.
Cruise wife/Gf: Looks like it has been through the junkyard.
Cruise: Nah this thing is as strong as steel... *Kicks the side* and walks towards his wife. car collapses...
:E i hate imagening that:P
but that would be funny:D

Ngatuny
July 2nd, 2005, 06:05 PM
The movie was great :ayecapn: very tense and with a very subtle Spielberg since of humor;)

unregistered user
July 2nd, 2005, 09:53 PM
I loved it! :cheese: Genius! Steven Spielberg rocks my socks xD

Weeeeeeeeeeee! I literally jumped out of my seat in one part,a dn I was tensing up so much xD I give it four stars :cheese:

nafklt
July 3rd, 2005, 05:34 PM
OMG! :gasp: That movie was so awesome! That hummus part was so funny!xD:lol:

It differs a lot from the book though...:P

unregistered user
July 3rd, 2005, 05:35 PM
:lol: Hummus xD I'd forgotten about that actually :lol: ^^

Shadow
July 3rd, 2005, 09:04 PM
oh yhea this moive rocks the building ^^

Simba '04
July 4th, 2005, 12:32 AM
:lol: Hummus xD I'd forgotten about that actually :lol: ^^

the wha part? :confused:

unregistered user
July 4th, 2005, 12:35 AM
When the girl orders food, and she gets Hummus,a nd he says I told oyu to order food xD

Simba '04
July 4th, 2005, 12:39 AM
o ya :lol: I remember that, it was at the start of the movie.

Cruise just takes a big bite out of it and is like whoa, this isn't food! :lol:

unregistered user
July 4th, 2005, 12:40 AM
:lol: Yeah x3 Now I must wait till July 8th for Fantastic Four... *waits*

Simba '04
July 4th, 2005, 12:43 AM
lucky :grrr: I have to wait until July 15th for my movie :eek: and you know what it is :lol: ;)

but on topic, I'm going to go and see War of the Worlds again this Friday hopefully becuase I personally thought it was an awesome movie! I have already bought the soundtrack for it and everything :cheese:!!!

nafklt
July 4th, 2005, 12:56 AM
There was one part that was really weird though..
when lightning struck, all the electronic stuff went dead but when the tripods came up, this guy was holding a camcorder...:confused:

Simba '04
July 4th, 2005, 02:24 AM
ya I noticed that, I think what happened is everything that was on at the time was fried so idk, because they got the van to work when everyone else's cars were dead. There is a lot of things that were weird in the movie...

*spoilers*

like when the aliens die at the end, don't you think that they would have known from the very start that they couldn't drink the water or breath the air? I mean after all they did bury the ships before humans were supposedly on Earth. Also you would think their intelligence being greater than humans that they should know better then to drink our water and stuff, I mean that really confuses me onto why they didn't know from the first ships being buried :confused:

nafklt
July 4th, 2005, 02:32 AM
I guess the aliens overlooked that or maybe when they sent off the ships to earth, there was only a small percentage of bacteria and it did not reproduce as much yet... or maybe H.G. Wells just wanted to glorify humans and how well we can adapt to our environment?:confused::hmm:

IchLiebeNALA
July 4th, 2005, 02:28 PM
well, i'd just like to know why it is a 12A, because i'm watching it now (download you see ;)) and some of the scenes would scare the living daylights out of a 12 year old. in fact, the film so far is scaring me senseless.

but i like it

Kovster
July 4th, 2005, 07:20 PM
I wonder why the mini-van survied the plane wreck at the house, but nothing else did.

IchLiebeNALA
July 4th, 2005, 08:47 PM
and just the Car in general. why did that car survive when all the others stopped...

ah well. it's a film, and we should take them for what they are. Films

Xinithian
July 4th, 2005, 10:42 PM
I'd give it a 5/10. It was so dissapointing, and there were so many errors and holes in the story. I also didn't like the characters.

I'd go into details, but I don't want to spoil it for anybody.

nafklt
July 4th, 2005, 11:22 PM
War of the Worlds must be an expensive movie with the effects and all...:P

Fear The Paw
July 5th, 2005, 02:41 AM
I probably will see it whe it comes out on DVD

unregistered user
July 5th, 2005, 04:06 AM
I think '04's questions can be answered very easily....

It's a movie :idiot: ^^ Take it as it is, don't ask thoughtful questions xP

Tha tbeing said, the minivan started because after that big lightning thing started, the mechanic guy had fixed it, changed the starter, which had been fried.

The house and minivan survived merely because it was needed in order for the characters to survive and the story to continue ;)

nafklt
July 5th, 2005, 06:20 AM
I think '04's questions can be answered very easily....

It's a movie :idiot: ^^ Take it as it is, don't ask thoughtful questions xP

Tha tbeing said, the minivan started because after that big lightning thing started, the mechanic guy had fixed it, changed the starter, which had been fried.

The house and minivan survived merely because it was needed in order for the characters to survive and the story to continue ;)

:lol: Good one!:lol:

Kovster
July 5th, 2005, 08:57 PM
This version of War of the Worlds, is the most expensive movie ever produced. over $120million.

Simba '04
July 5th, 2005, 10:31 PM
...Tha tbeing said, the minivan started because after that big lightning thing started, the mechanic guy had fixed it, changed the starter, which had been fried.

no, the minivan started because they changed the solenoids ;), and how the van survived and even the plane is a mystery because usually planes go KABOOM!!! when they are on fire :idiot:

unregistered user
July 5th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Oh blah, you only think you're cool '04 :idiot: xD *tackles you*

Selunoids =P Blah I say to you xD If I want to believ eit was the starter, than it was the starter xD

Vidan
July 5th, 2005, 11:28 PM
The electromagnetic pulse takes out all of the electronic equipment in the area, yet, when the tripod comes to life and starts zapping people, somebody's camcorder/digital video camera falls to the ground and we see an image displayed on its monitor!

It may have been that Spielberg was aware of this inconsistency. I saw a program about movie bloopers on TV once where it mentioned something about the land being flat in one part of the T-rex/jeeps scene in Jurassic Park, and angled in the next (or possibly the other way around). He knew it was an inconsistency but wanted to go for effect.

Originally posted by Kovster
This version of War of the Worlds, is the most expensive movie ever produced. over $120million.

I thought Waterworld was the most expensive movie at $175 million (and ten years ago!).

nafklt
July 5th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Woes
The electromagnetic pulse takes out all of the electronic equipment in the area, yet, when the tripod comes to life and starts zapping people, somebody's camcorder/digital video camera falls to the ground and we see an image displayed on its monitor!

Aha! That's what I was talking about!:P

Originally posted by Woes

I thought Waterworld was the most expensive movie at $175 million (and ten years ago!).

WaterWorld was an awesome movie!:cool: There's also this show in Universal Studios that replicates it.:P

Ngatuny
July 6th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Simba '04
no, the minivan started because they changed the solenoids ;), and how the van survived and even the plane is a mystery because usually planes go KABOOM!!! when they are on fire :idiot:

The van survived the plane crash because it was on the script :p

nafklt
July 6th, 2005, 04:52 PM
:lol:

Simba '04
July 6th, 2005, 09:10 PM
you have a good point there Ngatuny ;), and Woes, I think everything that was on at the time was fried and that is why the van was able to work afterwards because they changed the solenoids with new solenoids they had in their shop, for the camera, it probably worked becuase the guy didn't have the battery in the camera at the time of the aliens teleporting.

The van could have survived possibly because the wings were missing from the crashed plane and the fuel tanks for a plane are in the wings meaning when the plane got hit, more than likely the wings were detached at the time of zapping. Why was there no bodies? Because the aliens took the blood from humans making them into dust and the dust would have been blown out of the plane with that gash missing from it. When it hit the ground it skid into that place where it was destroying most of the homes in the surrounding area and the airplane engine probably didn't hit the van because the house I beleive had a brick front absorbing most of the speed and force of the engine causing it to come to an almost complete stop and then of course it did come to a complete stop right in the living room. Cruise and his kids heard the engine noise and his daughter thought it was the aliens (so did I :idiot:) but it wasn't, it was the plane and Cruise knew it wasn't the aliens becuase he had heard them before, also you could see the flames coming from the windows instead of a laser beam.

Another thing that got me is when the first alien came up, how on Earth could Cruise's kids not see the thing in the distance becuase it was soooooooo high, and how did Cruise manage to get home soooo quickly when he said the first alien came out of the ground 2 miles away.

IchLiebeNALA
July 6th, 2005, 09:16 PM
wow, some fair points there 04, i've just come back from seeing it from the ciname, and it is one of the best films i have ever seen. (and i've seen a lot of them)

and the trailers for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, King Kong and Fantastic 4 were BRILLIANT!

i am SO going to see them films when they come out

but i cant seem to remember the 5th trailer. there was one for a film called Cinderella Man, but i could have sworn there was another one.

Simba '04
July 6th, 2005, 09:22 PM

I have trailers for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory under my sig. :idiot:, also if you search yahoo or something there are now like 11 clips from the movie in which are pretty funny imo :lol:

and I don't know what the 5th trailer for your showing would have been, when I want to AMC they showed like 20 previews >.<

ooooo....wait, I think I know what it was, it was probably the Island, I WANT TO SEE THAT MOVIE SOOO BAD!!! but it doesn't come out until the end of ths month :(
http://www.apple.com/trailers/dreamworks/the_island/trailer_2/

unregistered user
July 6th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Dammit, I really wanna see this movie now, but I dont have the resources to start that kind of campaign!

IchLiebeNALA
July 6th, 2005, 09:25 PM
nope, it wasnt that one.

ah well. the film itself was fantastic, and i'm really looking forward to Charlie! Any film with Johnny Depp in is sure to be good.

i even liked him in Once Upon a Time in Mexico!

nafklt
July 6th, 2005, 10:29 PM
The aircraft that crashed was unmistakeably a Boeing 707, 4 engines and boeing stlye nose.

IchLiebeNALA
July 6th, 2005, 10:39 PM
i just thought it was a really good film, and i dont like to read that deeply into things like that. those loopholes, plotholes, goofs and mishaps are in there to give reason to the story and, in this case, add emphasis to the terror at hand

Kovster
July 8th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Ya'll remembe this sound?

http://www.lionking.org/~simba007/Tripodscall.wav

IchLiebeNALA
July 8th, 2005, 04:41 PM
oh yes.

i think i'll have that as my phone ringtone :p

TakaTiger
July 8th, 2005, 04:56 PM
ohhh... a really good movie... and really loud! O.O