PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Tower

unregistered user
June 29th, 2005, 04:55 PM
From BBC News:

New York officials have unveiled a revised design for the skyscraper that will replace the World Trade Center, following fears over security.

The Freedom Tower is being built on the site of the Twin Towers destroyed in the 11 September 2001 attacks.

Architects redesigned it after police expressed concern that the 1,776-foot (540-metre) building could be vulnerable to truck bomb attacks.

Under new plans it is further from the road and has a strengthened structure.

The redesign calls for a concrete and steel pedestal, clad in ornamental metalwork, and topped by a tower of glass.

The building is capped with a mast incorporating an antenna, which is meant to evoke the torch of the Statue of Liberty.

"This new design reflects a soaring tribute to freedom and a bedrock commitment to safety and security," New York Governor George Pataki said.

Completion delay

The symbolic height - which in feet refers to the year of the American Declaration of Independence - is one of the few features left from the initial plans.

The building's chief architect said he felt better about the new one than the original.

Libeskind: Visionary architect
"It is unique, yet it subtly recalls, in the sky, the tragedy that has happened here," David Childs said.

The Freedom Tower's cornerstone was laid last July, but an assessment by the New York Police Department urged architects to rethink some elements of its structure.

Police feared it would be difficult to protect the building against a possible truck bomb because of the heavy traffic along nearby West Street.

Under the new plans, the distance from West Street has been increased from 25 feet (7.6 metres) to an average of 90 feet (28 metres), AP reports.

Rows and hitches

The project has been mired in controversy.

Initial designs for a replacement for the World Trade Center were greeted with disappointment by the public.

In 2003 the plan submitted by architect Daniel Libeskind was selected, but the boldness of his original proposals was later toned down.

A lower insurance payout on the Twin Towers than had been expected by the leaseholder further complicated the project.

And victims' relatives argued that construction would damage the foundations of the Twin Towers, which they regard a piece of American history.

The building is due to be completed by the end of the decade.

The skyscraper is planned to be among the tallest buildings in the world.

Winter Lioness
June 29th, 2005, 05:19 PM
:Ooo: Wow, that's news to me. I guess I should watch the news once and awhile. =D

I don't know if that's such a good idea. Some relatives of the victims will not agree with this, if not protest. I don't really have an opinion about it, as no one I know has been killed or injured in the tragedy. :D

unregistered user
June 29th, 2005, 05:37 PM
I believe that we all have an opinion on it =) We may not have lost anyone in the tragedy, but we were still affected by it.

Anyway hehe, I think it is a nice idea, but I can sorta understand how it would make those who lost loved ones sad.. =/

Endra
June 29th, 2005, 05:40 PM
I think building this tower will be a good idea. In my opinion, if we do not build something in its place (whether it be a memorial, tower, whatever), it shows terrorists that they have won.

But I can also understand how it would hurt those who lost family/friends in the attack.

King Simba
June 29th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Never knew about this until I read the thread. Thanks a lot for the news mate. =)

Anyways, this sounds pretty interesting and pretty cool. However, I do understand why some of the people who were/who had relatives or loved ones involved in the 9/11 attacks against the idea. It's possible that all of those people will have different views though. Some might like it, some won't. :hmm:

moonibear
June 29th, 2005, 05:48 PM
thanks for the news.

I don't understand how one can't have an opinion over it. I think it's a good idea. And it's true that it's affected people. It affected me even though I lost no one there.

Raize
June 29th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Here's what it is said to look like in its completion:

http://216.250.230.16/newwtcdesign.jpg

Winter Lioness
June 29th, 2005, 07:08 PM
I think it is a good idea, and I agree that if we just left the ruins there, it would show that the terrorists have won.
The picture is beautiful! If only NYC really looks like that... :grrr:

IchLiebeNALA
June 29th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Ravoc

i hope this doesnt cause offence to anyone, but i think that building a really stupid idea, because it is just going to be drawing attacks to it like bees to honey.

I agree that we do need a memorial in it's place, because that attack on the Twin Towers was just so imhumane, and a memorial is a good idea. But not another tower. But that is just my opinion.

But, they do need something there

unregistered user
June 29th, 2005, 07:58 PM
I think it could draw attacks. But maybe that's why they're building it? Being defiant of the terrorits? Idk.. =/ I think it looks really nice though ^^

Let's just hope that nothing bad happens to it =(

IchLiebeNALA
June 29th, 2005, 07:58 PM
that's a good point Ravoc. Building it to say 'We're not scared'...

i have no doubts that it improves the NY skyline

King Simba
June 29th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Ravoc

That looks cool. Brings a bit of life to the sky line I think especially since the 9/11 attacks.

:cheese:

IchLiebeNALA
June 29th, 2005, 08:03 PM
that's true.

well on that day, almost anything would look better on the skyline.

well, i suppose it didnt really help on the day after...

the building does look cool though! i want one!

unregistered user
June 29th, 2005, 08:06 PM
:lol: *gives Dan one for Christmas xD

But, here's a picture I found of what it is supposed to look like at night:

http://www.angusmeek.co.uk/wtc/img/wtc_freedomtower.jpg

King Simba
June 29th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Wow, that looks awesome. Looks even better at night. :o
Thanks for sharing the pics mate. =)

IchLiebeNALA
June 29th, 2005, 08:17 PM
i really want onee of them now. well, i'm getting one for christmas, i just have to ask about planning permission... :lol: :bleen:

it looks SO cool at night! thanks for sharing them Ravoc.

King Simba
June 29th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by IchLiebeNALA
i really want onee of them now. well, i'm getting one for christmas, i just have to ask about planning permission... :lol: :bleen:

it looks SO cool at night! thanks for sharing them Ravoc.
Are you 100% sure that it'd actually fit in your back yard? :lol: :bleen:

Lion King Stu
June 29th, 2005, 08:22 PM
hmm i am kinda stuck in the middle with whats going on here to be honest.

Simba '04
June 29th, 2005, 08:36 PM
I personally think it looks stupid :confused:

I say bring back the two towers! I could have sworn I heard someone say they were going to :confused:

By not building back the original two towers it is showing that we are cowards against terriosm imho

Dare
June 29th, 2005, 09:17 PM
I'm not a big fan of the design...to me, it looks like a giant hunk of rock candy sticking out of the NY skyline, but I supposed I'm biased...I grew up staring at the NY skyline and anything other than the skyline in my childhood memories is an abomination in my eyes. To me, this doesn't say "we're not afraid"...it says something more along the lines of "OMG, look at us! We're big and flashy and glitterly now, so poo on you terrorists!" or something.
:\
I'm not one to subscribe to that "we're back and better than EVER!" mindset.
;)

I can understand why they want/need to build something there though...if not for the "we're not afraid" reason than because of the real estate value of that land. As much as I'm loathe to admit it, that land IS prime real estate.
I lost a couple of friends in the 9/11 attacks, so I personally consider the land to be burial ground now, but the way I see it...it's not the first time people have intentionally built over cemetaries and I doubt it will be the last. Oh well.

Xinithian
June 30th, 2005, 01:19 AM
I'm so upset that they chose this design. It's just annoying foreigners by pushing the whole "freedom" thing, and it's ugly. I wish they had listened to Donald Trump, with the idea to bring back the original ones.

Ngatuny
June 30th, 2005, 02:07 AM
I personally find the design quite good, and just building anything there would send the message to the terrorists "You will not win"