PDA

View Full Version : An introduction

Bahati
June 28th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Greetings, denizens of Lea Halalela. I've finally taken the plunge and registered an account after lurking anonymously for a few weeks.

My earliest memories of "The Lion King" are watching the original VHS version of the movie that I received as a gift. I still remember enthusiastically commenting to my parents on various things during the "Circle of Life" sequence, which suggests that I must have seen the movie beforehand. Regrettably, I've no further recollections to prove or disprove this suspicion. TLK earned a special place in my heart regardless, though I passively chose not to express my enjoyment of the movie in any role beyond that of being a viewer.

TLK dropped off my interests radar entirely for over a decade. I did not build up a large collection of related merchandise, I did not wait anxiously for the release of the sequels, and I did not see the IMAX presentation of TLK in 2002. When I heard mention of a Broadway adaptation of the movie, my response was similar to "oh, well, that's nice" and I went on my merry way.

My fondness for TLK was only reawakened about a month or so ago and by the unlikeliest of catalysts. One of the customs in a Spanish language course I had been taking was to periodically watch well-known movies with the language set to Spanish so as to develop our skills in recognizing spoken words. Much to everyone's surprise, including my own, the second-to-last movie the instructor presented was an original VHS copy of TLK from Mexico. As the rising sun pierced the early morning darkness above the Serengeti, I instantly knew a Spanish viewing of TLK wasn't going to suffice.

Later that day, I began my quest for a copy of TLK. Knowing that my own VHS tape had long since been lost or given away, I turned to the power of file-sharing networks. A few short minutes of searching yielded a possible candidate, which trickled its way onto my hard drive bit by bit over the following hour.

The 89 minutes I spent watching 12 frames per second go by in a 160-by-120 pixel window accompanied by low-quality mono sound were life-changing, stirring up old memories, emotions, and interests. I sat speechless as the last of the credits crawled past, wondering how I had let such an awe-inspiring movie slip from my sight years ago. The plot, characters, and messages had me captivated and yearning for more.

Subsequent days were host to my intensified search for TLK-related material. "The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride" found itself on my computer in short order. I took "The Lion King WWW Archive" at lionking.org as my base of operations for reconnaissance. Image galleries, movie scripts, and song lyrics all came under my scrutiny. I read through the first installment of "Chronicles of the Pride Lands" in one sitting. The Archive's listing of fan sites served as a portal to a multitude of discussion forums, Lea Halalela among those listed. A Russian TLK site referred to in one thread provided me with mp3 conversions of every song from the soundtracks, "Rhythm of the Pride Lands," the Broadway performance, and other CD's.

My amazon.com order for "The Lion King Movie Collection" arrived yesterday, so I may now proudly declare myself in possession of authentic copies of all three movies. I will be purchasing all of the TLK music CD's I downloaded mp3 versions of in the near future. Coming September 9th, the touring group for "The Lion King on Broadway" will be stopping near me, so I'll be sure to buy a ticket and see it for myself. If the reviews I've heard from Lea Halalela and other sources are at all accurate, I should be in for one heck of a show.

Lea Halalela has done much to bolster my confidence about overtly enjoying the TLK universe. Knowing that a similar liking is shared by hundreds of other people from just a single forum makes my situation seem that much more acceptable. Furthermore, having seen the wondrous works of art and literature produced by fans across the globe, I am encouraged to make my own contributions to TLK's legacy. Already I have initiated the process of learning how to produce images comparable to those featured on "The Lion King Fan-Art Archive." My first work, a sketch using a screen capture as reference, is completed and pending debut.

Though I did not recognize it upon selecting a username, my choice of "Bahati"--fate, destiny--is coincidentally significant. I never anticipated my interests returning to TLK, but fate has led me on a decade-long "Circle of Life" of my own, bringing me back to the flagship of classical animation and storytelling that is "The Lion King."

It is an honor and a pleasure to finally be a registered member of this community. I look forward to getting to know and interact with every one of you.

unregistered user
June 28th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Welcome to Lea Halalela Bahati! Enjoy your stay here at Lea, may it be a long and wonderful experience for you and us all as well. :cheese:

Aurelian
June 28th, 2005, 12:25 AM
You don't strike me as someone new to the world of forums. :cheese:

Anyway, welcome to Lea Halalela! We are as happy to have you here as you are to be here.

Lionking.org is the largest and best known TLK site on the web. That is due to the genuis of my freind Brian Tiemann. However, if you haven't already, check out Lion King Domain, run by our own SimbaLKD. You will be glad you did!

Bahati
June 28th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

You don't strike me as someone new to the world of forums.
I'm no stranger to the world of forums in general, but to TLK forums and the like, it's a new experience. Ought to be interesting.

However, if you haven't already, check out Lion King Domain, run by our own SimbaLKD. You will be glad you did!
I'll be sure to have a look.

LunarCat
June 28th, 2005, 03:28 AM
hey there! and welcome to Lea Halalela! :D :cheese:

Mizani
June 28th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Welcome to Lea Bahati:D
If your an RP'er then feel free to join any of the ones I'm involved in. Just PM me:cheese:

King Simba
June 28th, 2005, 06:55 AM
Nice descriptive post there. Welcome to LEA, I'm sure you'll enjoy it here! :cheese:

Opera Ghost
June 28th, 2005, 07:28 AM
hi,welcome to lea

Ruska
June 28th, 2005, 10:49 AM
That's one long TLKish introduction! Well, welcome, enjoy the passion fruit!

Ngatuny
June 28th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Hello and welcome to Lea Bahati, I'm sure you will have fun here.:D:cheese:

Endra
June 28th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Welcome to Lea mate! I'm sure you'll have a great time. And remember - don't feed the Roog!

Bagheera
June 28th, 2005, 05:41 PM
hello :D

moonibear
June 28th, 2005, 05:53 PM
welcome to lea bahati! hope you have fun!!

Nephilim
June 28th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Hmmm, life story. Wonderful. ;P

Welcome.

IchLiebeNALA
June 28th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Hey there Bahati, to Lea Halalela. i'm Daniel, but you can call me Dan.

Here at lea, i'm the resident Agony Aunt. although everyone here helps each other, i am the only qualified one to do it ;)

MSN and Yahoo addresses can be found inmy profile should you want to add me!

And beware of the rabbit hunting crocodiles

Bahati
June 28th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Nephilim
Hmmm, life story. Wonderful. ;P
It wouldn't be a proper introduction without one. :)

Nephilim
June 28th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Bahati
It wouldn't be a proper introduction without one. :)

Life stories are awesome. I remember reading one that began "my story started when I was just two years old..."; damn, that must have been one painful birth for the mother.

unregistered user
July 2nd, 2005, 04:29 PM
Hi there! = )

TakaTiger
July 2nd, 2005, 04:58 PM
Allo there ^^... am i late? :o

Nalinda
July 3rd, 2005, 01:12 PM
I guess I'm late but.. anyways. Welcome to Lea Bahati! :D

Kiara Serengeti
July 5th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Hi :hugs:

Sombolia
July 6th, 2005, 06:00 AM
I'm terribly late, but welcome to Lea from the resident geek. :jejeje: I'd say something along the lines of "I'm sure you'll find this forum to your liking", but it seems you already have. :cheese:

If you're in the market for good TLK forums, I'd definately check out The Majilisi (http://majilisi.kingofpriderock.com)!

Fear The Paw
July 6th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Assome, Welcome to Lea Home of the Lion King Fans. Yea I did the same thing, I lurked around for about a week until what the Heck I joined.
Dude I love "Chronicles of the Pride Lands" it's a assome series you can spend the hours on end reading them the 7 set series I believe, even the 2000 edition's are beautiful, I probably read the series two and some three times. and I've read the 2000 edtion of "Chronicles of the Pride Lands" probably 6 times I though they very well written good.

Nala The Lion
July 21st, 2005, 05:40 PM
im new so sorry for the late welcome but here it is :D

welcome to the board =D