PDA

View Full Version : and now I hate christianity

Huma
June 19th, 2005, 12:26 PM
First of all, my apologies to all christian who saw the title of this post, it's my fault after all to brought this whole nonsence here and offense the people that never treat me badly. However, If you're turely friends of mine or you want help me out regardless what I've done, please tell me what you think I should do.

ok, here's the deal. the movie laterly someone mentioned about, "the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe" is the same story that I read while very young. It's nothing surprise for you, but I was born in China and didn't recognize the title at first. It's very odd that I read this story.(I asked all my friends from China, and none of them read it) and now it's a great thing to me not because of the movie they will make out of it but what I reunited with, a invaluable memory. I wanted to read the book, look at those pictures, and enjoy as I did when I was a child.

After I found out, I surfed to some movie fan site to check what forks said about the movie. not long till I found myself encircled by what looked like some religious disscusion. Clearly there was somebody said that the story is a parallel to christianity, and someone said things like "leave the movie alone", "why should everything be religious?" and something more so that christians starting to defend their belief.

I'm fine with both. I don't like the idea to say things are parallel to others, but I don't mind people saying that either. However, I don't know what evil was keeping me staying on that thread till I saw the very post that changed my view of that story forever.

I'm feeling guilty even now to tell that again to whomever may read this post, but I figured that most of you are already known. what that freaking post said is that it described how the movie is parallel to christianity in a particular scene, the one that the lion Aslan offer himeself as sacrifice to save Edmund and to be killed on the Stone Table by the White Witch. the poster paralleled the Aslan with the Jesus Christ, Edmund with the Judas, and the White Witch to the Satan and such till everyone in this scene have a position in the bible and, of course, the sacrifice Aslan made became the passion of the christ. After hearing that, what firstly poped up in my mind was the shot from that movie bearing the same name that featured all of blood and unhumanly torture. Suddenly I realized just then, what had been ruined.

I bought the book the next day, and tried to find the old story I once read, the character I like. Their faces changed, espeically Aslan. That sad scene of the Stone Table now seems evil and unnatural so that I hate to read it anymore.

I do understand I'm talking about more or less just a childish story. But isn't it the same thing what somebody made this forum for, a stroy we love, we want to keep it forever? Now what's lost was lost, I can't find anyone to blame. I aways repect others' religions and share the wisdom come from them although I can't understand all of each. This made me even more angery and, then, sadder. I know that both won't solve anything and I'm writing now not out of any anger or desire to upset anyone. I just don't know why a good thing have to be turned bad like this. If you have patience to read this long, whining, mistaken post till here, I presume you wouldn't mind to give me your thoughts and advices. that's turely all that I can use and I ask for now, I thank you in advance.

:(

Simba '04
June 19th, 2005, 01:08 PM
I really don't see a fictional movie/book like that being parallel with the Bible but I do see it going against the Bible as in the movie is based on beliefs that the Bible preaches against *keeping quiet now*

Ruska
June 19th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Why should everything always have a connection to that damned religious stuff, anyway?

Yeah, I feel for you there. Ruining something like this hurts. Those damned christians, indeed.

Simba '04
June 19th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I thought we were friends Ruska :emo:

:idiot:

Dare
June 19th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Did you do know that "The Chronicles of Narnia" was written by CS Lewis, a big time Christian writer? About 1/2 of the religion section in my bookstore is full of his books, including "The Chronicles of Narnia."

As far as I'm concerned, "The Chronicles of Narnia" is a Christian work, though not overly overtly so.
So I would expect parts of "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" to parallel themes in Christianity first off. It's not like people are taking a 100% secular piece of work and applying religion to it...they're taking a piece of work written by a religious person and pointing out intentional parallels.
(at least I'm fairly certain it's intentional)

This kind of reminds me of Fairy Tales...the original fairytales were bloody and gory and overall not pleasant, and so they were revamped to be more "friendly". All I can say is, try to think of "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" as you knew it as a revamped fairytale. Now, knowing that you know, the story has more depth.

And now you know how I feel when people spend hours upon hours philosophizing over things like who Nala's father is and/or what do the hyenas represent, etc. For me, TLK is just a simple movie to be taken at face value...now there's a lot more extra baggage to consider.
;)

At any rate, I wish you good luck, Huma.

unregistered user
June 19th, 2005, 06:27 PM
FO rme personally, I recognized a similarity between the books and the Bible right away, especially the scene you mentioned.

C.S. Lewis was originally a big time athiest. He'd proclaim ti to anyone. But then he found the Lord and became a Christian. His great works have biblical connections, and what I consider his greatest work; The Chronicles of Narnia, have many biblical connections.

Did you know that the writer of Lord of the Rings, Tolien, based his stories off of WW2? On scene in particular showing the Ents going to fight Isengard comes to mind. The Ents, represent America's political view towards the war. Then they saw what had been done, and they themselves came under attack, so they joined in the war.

A lot of great stories are based off of real life events or in this case, other books.

I must say though, I am offended by Ruska's comment on this thread... =/

Xinithian
June 19th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Ravoc
C.S. Lewis was originally a big time athiest. He'd proclaim ti to anyone. But then he found the Lord and became a Christian. His great works have biblical connections, and what I consider his greatest work; The Chronicles of Narnia, have many biblical connections. I find it annoying when some Christians claim that when athiests research Christianity, they will become Christians based upon C.S Lewis. That's just one case of somebody turning into a Christian when researching it, but others (like me) don't get converted.

At any rate, I feel the same way about the whole religious ruining thing. I think I would've liked it more if I hadn't heard about the religious parallels, because now all I'll think about is the bible when I see the movie. Our bible teacher tried to get us to pick up the biblical references in TLK, but fortunately there weren't that many and I can forget/ignore them.

The only movie that I like religious referances in in The Matrix, because there are so many different religions in that. It's not geared towards just one religion.

unregistered user
June 19th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Xinithian
I find it annoying when some Christians claim that when athiests research Christianity, they will become Christians based upon C.S Lewis

I didn't say that. I said that C.S. Lewis became Christian, I didn't say people who research C.S. Lewis become Christians.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what you mean now. *shrugs*

Xinithian
June 19th, 2005, 07:54 PM
I didn't say that. I said that C.S. Lewis became Christian, I didn't say people who research C.S. Lewis become Christians.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what you mean now. *shrugs* Yeah, I often hear people either at my school or once on another forum that said that if athiests would research Christianity, they would convert, and they based their theory on C.S Lewis. It was pretty lame. That would be like me saying that if a Christian researched Atheism, he would become an Athiest, based off of one outspoken christian that went athiest.

unregistered user
June 19th, 2005, 08:00 PM
I'm not saying that all people who rsearch Christianity will become Christians. Otherwise the Christian populationw ould be much greater =P

Some people believe only what they can see, touch, and hear, and thus, they're not ever truely believing, that's not faith. Some people just don't have any faith in anything. Others don't believe because they lost a loved one or something that was important to them,a nd they ask why God could let something like that happen. And then others don't believe because they simply don't want to do what the Bible says to do. And the last group don't believe because they've either found something else they believe in, other religions.. science.. etc.. or they haven't really heard about Christianity yet, or they simply just don't want to.

unregistered user
June 19th, 2005, 08:05 PM
That goes with the part of going against the Bible STL ;)

Nephilim
June 19th, 2005, 08:08 PM
This reminds me of my English lesson. Every story or poem relates to the Bible in some way, and mostly to Jesus.

Strangely enough, my teacher is a Jew.

Religion should be kept to religious people, not be rubbed in people's faces. ;P

unregistered user
June 19th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Judaism, Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism... all of those will change you...

Athiesm and Science won't change you, but they're not religions, they're the opposite of religion.

Nephilim
June 19th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
are there any religions that accept everyone for who they actually are, instead of trying to make them change to suit the religion?

Heh, this reminds me of part of a TV show I once saw, where a Satanist said to a priest preaching to men in prison;

"Why do you mock these men with the promise of a god who does not love them for who they are, and wants them to chage. My god loves them because of what they are".

Or something along those lines.

unregistered user
June 19th, 2005, 08:17 PM
hehe, that was pretty good Neph... :lol:

Huma
June 19th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Some people believe only what they can see, touch, and hear, and thus, they're not ever truely believing,[/B]

I actually agree with you in this line. Where the name of Jesus Christ came from, what he ought be looked like and what he did? isn't these notion passed by mere senses and stern teaching? shouldn't the God or son of the God be higher than what we could sense, be more than what we could name?

In my story and such things alike, I don't feel others are passing their belief to the God to me, for I already believed in God, but what they think the God should be seen, heard, even touched. So, when someone ask me if the God I believe is the God of christanity, I honestly don't know how to answer, how could God be compare?

As for the part that great stories are from intentional parallel to the bible, I don't believe. For one thing, you have no proof of such thing as one's intention. For another, stories are embodiments of spirit, so as the Bible. Those are eventually rooted to our heart no matter what media they connected through. If you have to say those stories are made from Bible, then where the Bible made from? nowhere? I won't find that if I have a research in christanity.

It's completely different matter what one believe and what one have emotions upon. I do believe Jesus Christ in so many ways, but my compassion is with the lion. I took it fine when they stated the stroy was parallel to the Bible and writer was christian who wrote many articles in this matter. But Imagine someone's telling you who's the Christ in TLK, or what guy those saints and devils in the Bibble are made from, you won't feel just fine.

Ravoc, Wicked, I know it's not a good topic for christans, but you guys are cool, I thank you.

Dare
June 19th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Huma

As for the part that great stories are from intentional parallel to the bible, I don't believe. For one thing, you have no proof of such thing as one's intention.

True, I don't have proof, but I do believe that C.S Lewis himself said that he intentionally added parallels...unfortunately, I don't have said quotes at my fingertips...I'll have to go back and read a few biographies.

Ravoc, Wicked, I know it's not a good topic for christans, but you guys are cool, I thank you.

Just for the record, I'm not Christian.
;)
I'm just a researcher.

Originally posted by Xinithian

The only movie that I like religious referances in in The Matrix, because there are so many different religions in that. It's not geared towards just one religion.

I had to write a paper on that for one of my Theology classes once...made for a fascinating study, but there was a lot of information to incorperate into the paper. Just thinking about it makes my head spin.
:ayecapn:

unregistered user
June 19th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Huma
First of all, my apologies to all christian who saw the title of this post, it's my fault after all to brought this whole nonsence here and offense the people that never treat me badly. However, If you're turely friends of mine or you want help me out regardless what I've done, please tell me what you think I should do.

ok, here's the deal. the movie laterly someone mentioned about, "the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe" is the same story that I read while very young. It's nothing surprise for you, but I was born in China and didn't recognize the title at first. It's very odd that I read this story.(I asked all my friends from China, and none of them read it) and now it's a great thing to me not because of the movie they will make out of it but what I reunited with, a invaluable memory. I wanted to read the book, look at those pictures, and enjoy as I did when I was a child.

After I found out, I surfed to some movie fan site to check what forks said about the movie. not long till I found myself encircled by what looked like some religious disscusion. Clearly there was somebody said that the story is a parallel to christianity, and someone said things like "leave the movie alone", "why should everything be religious?" and something more so that christians starting to defend their belief.

I'm fine with both. I don't like the idea to say things are parallel to others, but I don't mind people saying that either. However, I don't know what evil was keeping me staying on that thread till I saw the very post that changed my view of that story forever.

I'm feeling guilty even now to tell that again to whomever may read this post, but I figured that most of you are already known. what that freaking post said is that it described how the movie is parallel to christianity in a particular scene, the one that the lion Aslan offer himeself as sacrifice to save Edmund and to be killed on the Stone Table by the White Witch. the poster paralleled the Aslan with the Jesus Christ, Edmund with the Judas, and the White Witch to the Satan and such till everyone in this scene have a position in the bible and, of course, the sacrifice Aslan made became the passion of the christ. After hearing that, what firstly poped up in my mind was the shot from that movie bearing the same name that featured all of blood and unhumanly torture. Suddenly I realized just then, what had been ruined.

I bought the book the next day, and tried to find the old story I once read, the character I like. Their faces changed, espeically Aslan. That sad scene of the Stone Table now seems evil and unnatural so that I hate to read it anymore.

I do understand I'm talking about more or less just a childish story. But isn't it the same thing what somebody made this forum for, a stroy we love, we want to keep it forever? Now what's lost was lost, I can't find anyone to blame. I aways repect others' religions and share the wisdom come from them although I can't understand all of each. This made me even more angery and, then, sadder. I know that both won't solve anything and I'm writing now not out of any anger or desire to upset anyone. I just don't know why a good thing have to be turned bad like this. If you have patience to read this long, whining, mistaken post till here, I presume you wouldn't mind to give me your thoughts and advices. that's turely all that I can use and I ask for now, I thank you in advance.

:(

Ok, so there's a parallel between the book and the bible. So what, I'm a Catholic and I've read the book a dosen times, it don't bother me, my dad's ok with it to, my entire family likes the book, for that matter, I went to a Catholic elimentry school and we read the book in the 5th grade, there is no evil in reading books, there is only evil in the mind of the reader.

unregistered user
June 19th, 2005, 10:41 PM
To be quite honest, I don't actually understand where you're coming from Huma; why it bothers you so much. Perhaps if I understood more I might be able to help you out some?

Originally posted by Wicked
True, I don't have proof, but I do believe that C.S Lewis himself said that he intentionally added parallels...unfortunately, I don't have said quotes at my fingertips...I'll have to go back and read a few biographies.

what she said ;)

va-kasi
June 19th, 2005, 11:22 PM
I'm kinda failing to see what the problem is that a Christian writer has written a book with a Christain point of view :confused:

Juniper
June 20th, 2005, 01:23 AM
In my mind, religion is the most unfortunate thing to happen to the human race. It's a means to gain control over people and to find justifications for hating one another. It's a way to divert the blame from a person for doing wrong, or to punish one. It's a means through which people can argue and complain, and a way to be able to be offended. If you're looking for a way to make yourself think you're better than others, start with a religion. It's a vessle from which closed-mindedness flows.

I'm not religious. I do, however, follow Christ. I consider that faith. Many other people do too. I don't know where this whole "It's against the Bible" thing came from; I guess some people don't understand that their beliefs don't dictate others. Some people also don't understand that there's as many interpretations of the Bible as there are people who follow it; of course, they'd much rather be told what to think. I'm always willing to tell others about what I believe and my faith in Jesus Christ for forgiveness and salvation, but unless I'm asked, I try to keep my faith to myself. I do read and meditate the Bible, but I also accept that there's so many interpretations of it, varying from person to person, that my beliefs are something that belong to me. I don't get on someone if they belong to another faith either, who am I to tell someone what to believe?

Many, many, many stories/movies/performances/books are based on religion, including the Bible. Similarities between a story and the Bible are common, sometimes even surprisingly similar. I don't think that demeans from the Bible, or the story for that matter.

And yes, I know someone's probably gonna be offended; I'm pretty sure they'll live though. In my defense, I wasn't referring to anyone here.

Huma
June 20th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by PhantomBPR
Ok, so there's a parallel between the book and the bible. So what, I'm a Catholic and I've read the book a dosen times, it don't bother me, my dad's ok with it to, my entire family likes the book, for that matter, I went to a Catholic elimentry school and we read the book in the 5th grade, there is no evil in reading books, there is only evil in the mind of the reader.

Sorry, I don't quite understand, are you saying there's evil im my mind so I'm not ok with the book? If that's ture, why I love the book before I know this whole christian parallelism stuff?

Originally posted by va-kasi
I'm kinda failing to see what the problem is that a Christian writer has written a book with a Christain point of view :confused:

The problum is: something being Christian is the simple fact as what you implied, or personal choice of view. If the former, why I didn't realize this whole idea until someone push that to me? If the latter, why I wasn't given any chance to choose.

To be quite honest, I don't actually understand where you're coming from Huma; why it bothers you so much. Perhaps if I understood more I might be able to help you out some?

I believe I stated that I come from China. I don't have religious influence in my educations. I have believed, ever now and than, religions are not what human are born to believe, but what they choose to. Why I'm so bothered? As what I identified as a fact, the story TLTWATW can be viewed in unreligious way as what I naturally chose to. However, having the notion how Aslan is parallel to Jesus Christ, I can not fall back to that states. I feel I lost my right to ever look at the story as the way before.

As for the passion of Christ, I don't understand all Christian interpretation of it. It simplely shows the worst of humanity. I don't feel sympathy to Jesus Christ as a god who allowed humans to do the very injustice, even to himself. I feel he is one of our kind, mistreated, trying what he could to teach others what a human should be. Anyway, I'm not a chirstian or its resercher, but I doubt those ones talking all the chirstian parallelism knows all the aspacts of chirstianity and have a emtion in the things they're talking about, cause if they do, won't they be more careful in stating that?

:confused:

unregistered user
June 20th, 2005, 05:14 AM
"Religion is humanity's foremost hope."

"Religion could be humanity's foremost demise."

</end puritanical statements...>

va-kasi
June 20th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Most people know it to be a Christain book/movie, as you said, you didn't realise it untill now, but why does that suddenly make you have to hate it? All movies have points of views.

Just because I'm Christian doesn't mean I have to avoid books written by athiests, buddists, jews etc.

Fear The Paw
June 20th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Humm

nafklt
June 20th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Religions... religions... invented by humans to keep you honest. ;)

Huma
June 20th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by va-kasi
Most people know it to be a Christain book/movie, as you said, you didn't realise it untill now, but why does that suddenly make you have to hate it? All movies have points of views.

Just because I'm Christian doesn't mean I have to avoid books written by athiests, buddists, jews etc.

I stated before that I'm ok with this book/movie being christian, however, I do distinguish "knowlege" from "belief". How most people think about the story doesn't necessarily affect what I think untill they spoke out aloud. When they did, things started look that way and the "belief" replaced the "knowlege".

I know you, va-kasi, saying all these out of knowlege, to let me understand, but what's the reason for those guys talking about parallelism everywhere and in such a detail. They did research and wanted to share their knowlege? No, they wanted to believe it's parallelism and wanted everyone to believe what they believed.
:disagree: :woeisme:
I haven't seen such one in here for what I'm grateful :hakuna:

unregistered user
June 20th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by nafklt
Religions... religions... invented by humans to keep you honest. ;)

Hardly. That sounds like a scapegoat conjecture to me.

The need for a belief system is very critical in our modern lives, and the need for the nurturing of a belief system that is based on the ethical treatment of all people is not only the most desirable, but also perhaps our best representation of that ultimate reality.

We need to maintain an open mind toward the true nature and being of God. In fact, some would suggest that it is sacrilege to pretend to know too much about the true nature of God. Perhaps the word ?God? is not even the correct word.

It may be that the limitations of our culture and of our language make any words or any descriptions inadequate. As such all our explanations and descriptions of God are (1) human creations, and (2) they are less than the real thing. As human beings there is a fundamental need for both meaning and connection to the sacred.

We fill that need by developing and perpetuating belief systems, which in turn become powerful influences on our lives. The fit between our belief systems and our experiences can produce what I will refer to as ?truth experiences,? but a lack of a good fit leaves the human experience wanting.

Huma
June 20th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by SoniqueX

The need for a belief system is very critical in our modern lives, and the need for the nurturing of a belief system that is based on the ethical treatment of all people is not only the most desirable, but also perhaps our best representation of that ultimate reality.

We need to maintain an open mind toward the true nature and being of God. In fact, some would suggest that it is sacrilege to pretend to know too much about the true nature of God. Perhaps the word ?God?is not even the correct word.

It may be that the limitations of our culture and of our language make any words or any descriptions inadequate. As such all our explanations and descriptions of God are (1) human creations, and (2) they are less than the real thing. As human beings there is a fundamental need for both meaning and connection to the sacred.

We fill that need by developing and perpetuating belief systems, which in turn become powerful influences on our lives. The fit between our belief systems and our experiences can produce what I will refer to as ?truth experiences,?but a lack of a good fit leaves the human experience wanting.

</end puritanical statements...>

**is that the correct commend?
**:wicked: :thinks:

Mabatu
June 20th, 2005, 09:39 AM
I'm pretty confused about why you are concerned to be honest, but i'm not going to tell you that you shouldn't be upset or anything like that. It's up to you how you feel about things ;)

My opinion on the matter is that it doesn't matter what anyone says about the book. So some people (Christian or not) suggest that it is a parallel to the story of Jesus Christ. It is also definitely possible that the author even intended that to be the case. Well why is that such a problem? How can it suddenly turn a book you love into something bad? If you don't agree that it's a parallel, then fine, that's your opinion, you shouldn't be angry at people for voicing theirs.

It seems to me that you think the association of this book with religion is a very negative thing. I honestly can't begin to imagine why :confused:

If suddenly Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff came out and said that Mufasa was definitely intended to be a representation of God in TLK, and that Rafiki was a representation of Moses or something (:p), i wouldn't care at all. So i don't get why you care about this to be honest.

Also i don't think you have any right to decide you hate Christianity based on this...

As a small comment about religion, well i definitely believe in God and Jesus Christ, and i'd call myself a Christian. However i've never read the Bible and i've had no religious education whatsoever. I also have a strong belief in Science though...i don't think it would be fair to say you can't have faith if you have a scientific point of view :hmm:

nafklt
June 20th, 2005, 08:57 PM

We need to maintain an open mind toward the true nature and being of God. In fact, some would suggest that it is sacrilege to pretend to know too much about the true nature of God. Perhaps the word ?God? is not even the correct word.

We fill that need by developing and perpetuating belief systems, which in turn become powerful influences on our lives. The fit between our belief systems and our experiences can produce what I will refer to as ?truth experiences,? but a lack of a good fit leaves the human experience wanting.

Just wanted to add a little humour, that's all...:/

Juniper
June 20th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Mabatu
As a small comment about religion, well i definitely believe in God and Jesus Christ, and i'd call myself a Christian. However i've never read the Bible and i've had no religious education whatsoever. I also have a strong belief in Science though...i don't think it would be fair to say you can't have faith if you have a scientific point of view :hmm:

That needed repeated. I agree

TakaTiger
June 21st, 2005, 12:13 AM
I might sounds like an ***, but

Welcome to the club :D

unregistered user
June 21st, 2005, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by TakaTiger
I might sounds like an ***, but

Welcome to the club :D

Wow, you sound like an ***. :cheese:

TakaTiger
June 21st, 2005, 12:32 AM
Thanx for your honesty ;)

unregistered user
June 21st, 2005, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by TakaTiger
Thanx for your honesty ;)

:noogie:

unregistered user
June 21st, 2005, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by nafklt
Just wanted to add a little humour, that's all...:/

No worries, Nafklt = ) . You basically stated a true lie. BTW, it was funny "hehe," and not funny "HAHA."

Huma
June 21st, 2005, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Mabatu
It's up to you how you feel about things ;)

totally

My opinion on the matter is that it doesn't matter what anyone says about the book. So some people (Christian or not) suggest that it is a parallel to the story of Jesus Christ. It is also definitely possible that the author even intended that to be the case. Well why is that such a problem? How can it suddenly turn a book you love into something bad? If you don't agree that it's a parallel, then fine, that's your opinion, you shouldn't be angry at people for voicing theirs.

I think I clarified, I don't agery at anyone stating anything as parallelism to chirstanity. But I'm pissed in this case because they described how things represent one another in detail and it pop in my head evey time when I read the book no matter how I tried

It seems to me that you think the association of this book with religion is a very negative thing. I honestly can't begin to imagine why :confused:

I think the association of the particular scene of the Stone Table to the Passion of Christ is a very negative thing. agrue on that if you want

If suddenly Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff came out and said that Mufasa was definitely intended to be a representation of God in TLK, and that Rafiki was a representation of Moses or something (:p), i wouldn't care at all. So i don't get why you care about this to be honest.

They are the creators of the TLK, what they states about story are truth. same thing from anyone else are more or less their beliefs and imaginations. see the difference?

Also i don't think you have any right to decide you hate Christianity based on this...

wrong, I don't need right to hate anything if only I choose to. I'm not born to love Christianity.

Agreed, some most famous scientists are christians.

Suki
June 21st, 2005, 09:13 PM
Huma, it doesn't matter if you're christian or not, stop this nonsense, all of us are just lucky we know each other and like each other as friends (well, most of us, since some people have no clue who the heck we are).

Huma, it doesn't matter if you're christian or not, stop this nonsense, all of us are just lucky to be alive.

Huma, it doesn't matter if you're christian or not, stop this nonsense, all of us are just lucky to be ourselves.

Nephilim
June 21st, 2005, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
That guy has a point :( ... I do not want to go to hell, but maybe I should go along with a god who loves me for who I am, rather than a god wanting me to change the way I am in ways that don't make sense :( ... I mean, I understand that a righteous god wouldn't want me to steal, murder, or anything like that, that's just obvious... but why do some religions want to like change people's sexuality? It's just the way they are. It's like saying "Oh no, you can't be a Christian because you're black!" The person can't help being black, it's not their fault... just in the same way that a person can't help being gay or bisexual; it's not their fault :( ...

Yup.

But who knows? Maybe this'll change with time. I mean, before black people were viewed as sub-human, and therefore not allowed to be a part of Christianity in some places. *shrugs*

unregistered user
June 21st, 2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Nephilim
Yup.

But who knows? Maybe this'll change with time. I mean, before black people were viewed as sub-human, and therefore not allowed to be a part of Christianity in some places. *shrugs*

I have to agree with Neph on that one. Gota rember that they made those rules up a long time back. ;)

Juniper
June 21st, 2005, 09:44 PM
Why is it that every time a debate involving Christianity comes up, the debate on homosexuality comes with it. It's like people, especially zealots, are obsessed with homosexuality, even though it's a very very minor detail in the Bible (Regardless of whether you interpret it as being a sin or not). Hell, people will argue to the brink of a fist-fight over whether homosexual people should be allowed to go to church but the same people will hardly give a damn when a more important topic comes up (Murder, for instance). Seems to me that the homosexuality debate has very little to do with religion at all.

unregistered user
June 21st, 2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by pntbll248
Why is it that every time a debate involving Christianity comes up, the debate on homosexuality comes with it. It's like people, especially zealots, are obsessed with homosexuality, even though it's a very very minor detail in the Bible (Regardless of whether you interpret it as being a sin or not). Hell, people will argue to the brink of a fist-fight over whether homosexual people should be allowed to go to church but the same people will hardly give a damn when a more important topic comes up (Murder, for instance).

I belive in god, but I don't always like the way the church is run, personaly, being straight, I never really cared about there belifes on homo and bisexuality.

Mabatu
June 22nd, 2005, 09:55 AM
OK Huma, i can see where you're coming from with your points, i respect your opinion ;)

I hope i didn't offend you in any way with my opinions :hakuna:

Regarding the debate about homosexuality and the Bible, i wouldn't know what the Bible says about it, but i don't believe you'd burn in hell merely because of your sexuality. As STL said, people can't help it if they are homosexual/bisexual...i mean who would deliberatly choose to be like that when there's so much negative social stigma attached to it? But anyway, I wouldn't agree with any religion that tried to change the person you are, and i believe God would accept people as they are naturally...i think that made sense :p

simba's girl
June 22nd, 2005, 10:19 AM
I'm a christian, but I know everyone has opinions. Its something that I really appreciate in my life and would love other to be able to experience as well, but its not something you force on people. Otherwise they'll freak out and think you're just trying to convert them! But I've found everyone on this forum so far to be really nice, and I hope everyone remains friends no matter what their beliefs :)

Lweek
June 22nd, 2005, 01:08 PM
Judaism, Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism... all of those will change you...

Athiesm and Science won't change you, but they're not religions, they're the opposite of religion.

Atheism and Science aren't in oposite to religion.

Science is completly something else and have no connection to religion. Exepts some religionist step over scientist with their very personal ethic. Science is about research, religion is about soul hygiene (as long as I see it).

Athiesm isn't in oposite to religion either. If somebody don't believe in God that doesn't mean he/she have no soul.

--------------------------------

Biblic stories are based on "let say" usual life stories just little bit covered by mystic. My own life is full of stories which some of them are less or more pareler with biblic stories, but I don't call my life religionic. If you want, you can see paralers betwen many stories.

SimbaLKD
June 22nd, 2005, 02:39 PM
--Thread Closed?

Sorry people were not meant to argue and debate about religion here. This thread has been found inappropriate by a few moderators.

If you want to continue to discuss this please use a chat client. Thank you, and sorry agian.

SimbaLKD
June 22nd, 2005, 07:19 PM
--Thread Opened?
--Thread Renamed?

Lea has no policy agianst debates, but has one about
"..name-calling, put-downs or harassment of other Pride Members."

put-downs can be, in this case, talking bad about ones religion.. thats what the people who complained saw, and unpon investiagtion... its what i saw..

People take religion very serious, as for me, either way I don't care what anyone has to say about religion, simply because I'm not religious.. so dont mistake the fact that I closed the threads as something personal..

However, some good points have been brought up that i cannot ignore and the threads are to be opened immedelity.. however the "and now I hate christianity" thread is going to be renamed to "christianity viewpoint".

lion_roog
October 9th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Sweet!...Fuzzy opened the thread back up...:D

Originally posted by Lweek

Biblic stories are based on "let say" usual life stories just little bit covered by mystic. My own life is full of stories which some of them are less or more pareler with biblic stories, but I don't call my life religionic. If you want, you can see paralers betwen many stories.

This just reminded me...I was reading that archeologist found something in Isreal that is evidence of a Biblical story...I forgot what story but it his to do with the Israelites (if that's the correct name) traveling from Babylon to some place in modern Israel...:cheese:

Wasanifu
October 9th, 2005, 04:11 PM
The Lion The Witch and The wardrobe is loosley based on the religon of Christianity, you have to remember when it was written many people were religious.

Scorplion
October 9th, 2005, 11:05 PM

I realize that you wrote this a few months ago, Sonique... but I just wanted to pull it up and say - Amen. I have never had my own thoughts on the subject of religion/beliefs translated so perfectly.

TLTWaTW was a story based on Christitanity. In fact, The Chronicles of Narnia are all stories based on Christianity. Some more so than others, but it's there. Read 'The Final Battle' or 'The Last Battle'.(can't remember the exact title) That's the end of the series and has the most similarities with the bible. (metaphorically, of course)
You can still choose to take the story at face value. I can, and do, as I'm not a Christian.

Suki
October 9th, 2005, 11:31 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4/titansforevermedia/anora0qx.gif

In other words, I think we've had enough of these kinds of threads(religion, catholics, church, yadda yadda).... :/

Pleast note that I AM christian, but seeing a million threads about it on here isn't my idea of 'fun'.

Sorry for going off topic there...:hehe:

Eva Janus
October 10th, 2005, 09:26 PM
I don't know how old this thread is so forgive me if I'm brining up a really old topic.

I didn't read everything. I read up to like the middle of page three and I couldn't read anymore. I am a Christian and it breaks my heart to see so many people speak of God and the Bible as a way to ruin their lives etc etc. I have quite a bit I could say on my views but they may be very long and I don't wanna get into a huge debate or anything (they always end up depressing me). All I will say on the whole Christianity subject is that I do believe in the one all-powerful God of the Bible. It's true that we tend to only believe the things we can see and touch and hear etc but God proves his existance in other forms (we sometimes call it "luck" or "chance" or "fate" etc). People sometimes tend to think that Christians think they're better than everyone else. Trust me, that is not true! When I tell my friends about how I go to church faithfully every Sunday morning, evening and Wednesday night, it's because I'm NOT better than everyone else. I NEED church. I need Christian friends to help encourage me to do right while we worship our Lord and God. If I never went to church, I'd stray farther and farther from my Christian beliefs and probably end up becoming just like the world.

One more thing: I saw someone mention something about Jesus and how he came to earth as one of us but doesn't care for us (or something... forgive me >.<). He fact is that he came here to this sinful earth with his sinful creations so that he could say "I know how you feel and I did this becuz I love you". How could we really believe someone who hasn't experienced what we've gone thru? He came and knew pain and sorrow and heart ache. He KNOWS how we feel and he wants to help us. He died for us and even rose again from the dead. He doesn't want bad things to happen to us... he only LETS the bad things happen. Satan causes the bad times. God lets us go thru them so we willl turn to him and trust him to carry us thru the hard times. He is our creator and we should trust him.

Sorry this is so long. >.< I meant for it to be shorter, but I tend to describe things thorughly. Forgive me. This is partly an overview of what I believe. I honestly feel sad when I see others reject Christ, especially when they're my friends or people I know well. I hope I didn't sound offensive... If I did, I'm sorry. This is my view and I respect yours as well.

Thanks for taking time to read this.

Huma
October 26th, 2005, 09:22 PM
The following is quoted from disscusion board of www.imdb.com

Q: Isn't the story of Narnia really a Christian allegory? How is the film going to handle all of that stuff? Cut it all out, or leave it in and play it up too much?

A: The Chronicles of Narnia are not exactly an allegory, at least in the strictest sense of the word.

Warning: Story Spoilers Follow Below.

Aslan's story in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a mirror of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ as told in the New Testament of the Christian Bible. And there are many parallels to Christian themes throughout the entire Narnia series. However, the Chronicles as a whole are not strictly a direct allegory of the entire Christian Bible. Lewis himself considered it more of a "suppositional," and readers tend to take whatever messages they want from books.

From a letter C. S. Lewis wrote, to some Maryland fifth graders in 1954, on the subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I did not say to myself 'Let us represent Jesus as He really is in our world by a Lion in Narnia'; I said, 'Let us suppose that there were a land like Narnia and that the Son of God, as he became a Man in our world, became a Lion there, and then imagine what would happen.'"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/lewis/cs-lewis.htm)

Here is another quote from Lewis on the subject of Narnia as allegory from an essay he wrote entitled Of Other Worlds:

"Some people seem to think that I began by asking myself how I could say something about Christianity to children; then fixed on the fairy tale as an instrument, then collected information about child psychology and decided what age group I'd write for; then drew up a list of basic Christian truths and hammered out "allegories" to embody them. This is all pure moonshine. I couldn't write in that way. It all began with images; a faun carrying an umbrella, a queen on a sledge, a magnificent lion."

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronicles_of_Narnia)

And this is what the director of the film, Andrew Adamson, has to say about the Christian symbolism in the story at the San Diego Comic-Con event in July 2005:

During the Q 'n' A, Adamson answered the question on many people's minds about whether the religious aspects of Lewis' books will be prevalent in the film version. "These days, people either read it with the spiritual meaning that C.S. Lewis intended or they read it as a great adventure story," he said. "What I was really doing was making a movie that was true to C.S. Lewis' book, so if you found spiritual meaning in that, you'll find the same in the movie; if you enjoyed it as an adventure story, you'll enjoy the movie as an adventure story."

(http://www.comingsoon.net/news/comicconnews.php?id=10434)

So you can appreciate LWW without knowing the parallels in it, but those symbols and double meanings are there.

unregistered user
October 27th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Scorplion
I realize that you wrote this a few months ago, Sonique... but I just wanted to pull it up and say - Amen. I have never had my own thoughts on the subject of religion/beliefs translated so perfectly.

You can still choose to take the story at face value. I can, and do, as I'm not a Christian.

I try and sympathize with today's religions, but sometimes they seem so obtuse. There's a battleground, a supremacy, that religion obides by themselves to. Whether it's survival of the fittest, conquest, or their rendition of morality, "control" is a constant.

People whom live religiously (and I'm talking about people who fornicate themselves to whereas they take the good and the bad, turn it into the bad, to their liking...), normally conceive a venue of misinterpretation.

Relgions will change, no matter WHAT the controlling factor is. Back then I bet it was easy to follow biblical teachings, but now since we live in a whole new era, comparatively speaking, how can one truly interface (especially those circumstances...) ?

I guess living in a superficial world, it's not that hard. -- I really believe though, even if religion destroys the world as we know it, we will still have an everlasting hope.