PDA

View Full Version : Diana Krall

Mabatu
June 17th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I was just wondering if anyone here has actually heard of, or even possibly likes, the music of Diana Krall? In case you've never heard of her (as i hadn't until a few months ago), she's a jazz pianist/vocalist. She also sings lots of other types of songs too, i don't know the exact genre of them all :p

http://www.dianakrall.com

When i first found out about her from a friend, i wasn't very interested in that type of music, but needless to say, it's grown on me quite a bit over time :D I bought her 'Live in Paris' concert DVD, and i think it's great - highly recommended if you like her type of music :)

On her website, there are some sample video clips under the 'media' link. I'd say "The Look of Love" is the best song available there, i don't really like the clip a lot though..."A Case of You" is also nice, it's from the Paris DVD.

http://www.dianakrall.com/images/local/gallery/2701/25_full.jpg

lion_roog
June 17th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Jazz...Sweet!!!...I love Jazz...I will have to check her out. :cheese:....My favorite Jazz musician is "Yard Bird" Parker

BlueStef
June 17th, 2005, 03:35 PM
My parents love her, they have all her CD's.
I'm not a Fan but I love many of her songs ^^

Mabatu
June 18th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by lion_roog
Jazz...Sweet!!!...I love Jazz...I will have to check her out. :cheese:....My favorite Jazz musician is "Yard Bird" Parker

I hope you like her! She doesn't just sing jazz however, a lot of her music is slow, ballad type music i guess :thinks:. One particularly jazzy sort of song would be 'Love me Like a Man', you might like that :cheese: I'll have to check out "Yard Bird" Parker too.

Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
Mmm :cheese: :D !!!

Hehe, I hadn't previously heard of her, nor heard any of her music...

Hehe, yeah, i chose that pic because i thought she looked particularly nice there :) I heard her music before i found out what she looked like, but it was surprising to find out she sings great and also looks great ;) Anyway STL, you should check out a couple of the sample songs on her website. You might not like it at all, but that's fine - i understand it's pretty different to what most people would normally listen to.

Originally posted by BlueStef
My parents love her, they have all her CD's.
I'm not a Fan but I love many of her songs ^^

Good to hear someone here has heard of her! At moment i don't have all of her music, but i'm working on rectifying that problem soon :p

Recently she performed here in Melbourne, and i am really disappointed that i didn't get to see her. By the time i realised i liked her and found out she was down here, it was too late to get tickets :rolleyes:. But, what can you do? :hakuna:

Vidan
June 18th, 2005, 02:36 PM
I saw her live in San Francisco about five years ago. She is not only an outstanding vocalist but a great pianist and songwriter.

I don't like her "arranged" recordings such as "A Look of Love" but enjoy her smaller ensemble work, particularly where she sings her own songs.

nafklt
June 18th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Her music's on the radio now and then. Pretty good music too.:P

unregistered user
June 19th, 2005, 01:17 AM
haha..
her husband is elvis castello.. :D
i like the type of song:D

lion_roog
June 19th, 2005, 02:42 AM
:haha:...Yes, I will have to check out that song...:D ...maybe I can find a CD here at Barnes & Noble or something.

Mabatu
June 20th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Woes
I saw her live in San Francisco about five years ago. She is not only an outstanding vocalist but a great pianist and songwriter.

I don't like her "arranged" recordings such as "A Look of Love" but enjoy her smaller ensemble work, particularly where she sings her own songs.

You're lucky to have seen her perform ;) I'm still kicking myself that i didn't get to see her :rolleyes:

I can understand how you feel about her 'arranged' music, it is definitely different to a lot of her other stuff. But i enjoy it all. It's interesting how she can go from basically singing by herself with the piano, to a full scale orchestral-backed song :cheese:

And i agree, the songs she's written herself are great. I like 'Departure Bay' in particular...makes me think of a small quiet place in the country (Canada) at dusk, with a pier out onto a lake, and mountains in the distance...basically a feeling of tranquility i guess :p

It's good when music can make you imagine things :)