PDA

View Full Version : Maths with STL =D !!!

Suki
June 11th, 2005, 07:41 PM
OMG, DIVISION!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!

I told you I don't know division and I'm in 6th grade.... :metoo:

King Simba
June 11th, 2005, 07:43 PM
No maths questions yet like I said on MSN but there will be some. Trust me. ;)

Btw, good thread idea. :cheese:

Xinithian
June 11th, 2005, 08:17 PM
A lady deposits 13000$ in a bank. If there's 8 1/2 compound interest, how much money will she have in 10 years?

IchLiebeNALA
June 11th, 2005, 08:26 PM
cool!

i'll have to think up a topic for you, cos i have my Second Maths Paper on tuesday

Sombolia
June 11th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Ahh! You couldn't have posted this sooner? I finished all my math exams :p

If I ever need more help though, I know which lion to come to :p

IchLiebeNALA
June 11th, 2005, 09:29 PM
hey STL, for me, it is the Sine and Cosine rules

i know that Sine rule is for 2 sides and one angle, and the Cosine Rule is all three sides, but what do you do from there?

Alli
June 12th, 2005, 01:35 AM
I wish i was good at math -,- I took the tests we have to take in 8th grade and i got ABOVE the top 93% of the students for language arts but in math i got average and sometimes below x_x

Mizani
June 12th, 2005, 03:12 AM
We're learning Cartesian Planes in maths right now. Kinda boring.:zzz:

unregistered user
June 12th, 2005, 05:11 AM
StL = mathematical genius. 'nough said.

Well, I (premonition) / hope you become a foremost mathematician, matey. Right?

Anywayz, cheers, d00d!

"Dreams are many, and realities are far few in between."

Whitewolf
June 12th, 2005, 06:02 AM
1: A spinner has 4 equal sectors colored yellow, blue, green and red. After spinning the spinner, what is the probability of landing on each color?

2: A single 6-sided die is rolled. What is the probability of each outcome? What is the probability of rolling an even number? of rolling an odd number?

3:A glass jar contains 6 red, 5 green, 8 blue and 3 yellow marbles. If a single marble is chosen at random from the jar, what is the probability of choosing a red marble? a green marble? a blue marble? a yellow marble?

4:Choose a number at random from 1 to 5. What is the probability of each outcome? What is the probability that the number chosen is even? What is the probability that the number chosen is odd?

heheheheh now for the fun stuff

Lift equation.....

http://142.26.194.131/aerodynamics1/Lift/Graphics/Lift_Equation_Definitions.GIF

Suki
June 12th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Thank you very much STL. :hugs: But, to be specific, we do fractions....

I don't know how they do this sorta thing:

5 1/2 3/4
8 4/7 2/7
+__________
6 7/2

Of course, it's obvious I made that up, but do you know what I mean? I have no clue how to simplfy....it's weird to me...seems like they grab numbers out of thin air...

IchLiebeNALA
June 12th, 2005, 08:55 AM
thanks StL, that's come just in time for my maths exam.

thanks

Lucy Lioness
June 12th, 2005, 09:11 AM
*Falls over in a daze after reading all that maths*
:zzz:

Seriously, STL, you're super smart. =)

King Simba
June 12th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Wow.

Thanks a bunch for that mate. This will most likely help with further revision for future exams. =) Thanks again.

Maybe we should call you 'STL, The Mathematics Genius' :cheese:

King Simba
June 12th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
Hehe, no problem KS =) ...

:lol: No need for anything like that :p ...
Sure, it's easy. Put it in your custom title... :bleen: :p
Nah, just kiddin'. :noogie: Stay the way you are, you're cool.

unregistered user
June 12th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Simba Math Genius :p
SMG:lol:
that an advance math for us :p
like a 20 year old question :p

Nalinda
June 12th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Ooh ooh.. omg. STL you're very smart! ;) I think you're better than me though Im the only person in my class with the highest grade in maths! :D

Kovu
June 12th, 2005, 01:25 PM
The random variable X has the Poisson distribution Po(L), where L>0. It is given that E(X?) = 5[E(X)]?. Find the value of L.

King Simba
June 12th, 2005, 01:52 PM
I actually feel kinda thick and dopey now. :p

Aurelian
June 12th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Kovu
The random variable X has the Poisson distribution Po(L), where L>0. It is given that E(X?) = 5[E(X)]?. Find the value of L.

Poisson? You mean that the letter "X" is toxic?:confused:

Nalinda
June 12th, 2005, 06:43 PM
I think he ment position ;)

unregistered user
June 12th, 2005, 06:55 PM
oi -.-; *drops dead right now from all the math*

Thanks for the offer though STL,b ut anytime that I don't have to do math, I don't do math. But perhaps you can answer me a question...

Why do people on one side of the world call it math's' and the other side calls it math' '?

Other than that I don't think I'll be returning to this thread as it's giving me a head ache xD

Nalinda
June 12th, 2005, 08:16 PM
So the name is actually poisson? I mean I saw it in the link.. What does that mean? :uhno:

unregistered user
June 13th, 2005, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by Ravoc
Why do people on one side of the world call it math's' and the other side calls it math' '?

I think we use the singular form because it designates a generality occurrence 'mongst us all, most logically.

However, using the plural form is most correct, because there's more than one type of math, indeed.

unregistered user
June 13th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Ah okay. I think I'll stick with calling it all 'Headache Generator' and be done with it hehe :p

Kovu
June 13th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Sorry mate, I can't do that; haven't studied anything like that before... however, here is a website that might help you =) :

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PoissonDistribution.html
Aww, i was hoping to get a personal tutor. :p
Thanks, though. ;)
Can ya believe that was a mere 3 mark question of a paper i'm about to take? :eww: :gasp:

starionwolf
June 13th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Wow, you are so smart SimbaTheLion. The most complicated thing I can do is geometry and answering algebra II equations.

y = mx + b. :D

Ax + By + C = 0
Where A is not equal to 0

x/a + y/b = 1

Point slope formula:
y = m(x - a) + b

Given two points, one can draw a line between the two points.

unregistered user
June 13th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Ravoc
Ah okay. I think I'll stick with calling it all 'Headache Generator' and be done with it hehe :p

Not even the mighty aspirin, shows no promise.

;)

King Simba
June 13th, 2005, 03:59 PM
The next maths lesson for me is tomorrow. If I need any help with anything I do in tomorrow's lesson, I know which lion to come to. ;)

King Simba
June 13th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Ouch... if I had maths for that long, I'd be bored sick. :eww:

IchLiebeNALA
June 13th, 2005, 04:09 PM
me, i'd just BE sick!

and i'm doing it for A-level too...

*goes green in the face*

King Simba
June 13th, 2005, 06:06 PM
We had an English mock exam a few weeks back and I finished about an hour early. The exam was 2 hours long, so I was just sat there for an hour. I nearly fell asleep whilst the examiners walked up and down looking over my shoulder. :rolleyes: They have no idea how much that puts me off sometimes... :die: :grrr:

Kovu
June 14th, 2005, 04:04 AM
What maths topic does that question fall under? Where a topic would be like calculus or trigonometry for example? I haven't covered all of the A-level work here in the UK (work done when aged 16-18), so I'm not sure how everything works :hmm: ...
Poisson Distribution falls under Statistics. Statistics is a huge topic. Takes up 70% of the paper from what i've heard. :eww:

starionwolf
June 14th, 2005, 04:36 AM
I don't like long English essays. I need to take descriptive statistics for my computer major. I played around with statistics with OpenOffice.org's spreadsheet program.

King Simba
June 14th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Alright, today I did algebraic expressions. I think I have got the hang on how to do them but I'm still not sure in parts. If you know anymore about this, feel free to post extra info about it. =)

King Simba
June 15th, 2005, 03:25 PM
We did multiplying and adding with them I think. If you don't know what I mean, it doesn't matter.

King Simba
June 15th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Well what we were doing is something similar to this. Sorry, I haven't got my exercise book with me so I can't copy down a question that I did. Here's an example anyways...

4n (6x x 3)

We then did some dividing and stuff like that. We're using brackets in some of the questions too btw.

IchLiebeNALA
June 15th, 2005, 03:47 PM
thanks for you help STL, the sine and cosine rule did come up on my exam, and i was fully prepared for that question.

thanks again ;)

King Simba
June 17th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Thanks a lot STL. I'll have a proper read through it later. =)