PDA

View Full Version : Any advice?

Simba22
June 7th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Okay, see I graduated school last year. But, now I was just e-mailed about speaking at the Graduation on Friday for the people who are graduating this year. My problem is I have always been real bad at giving speeches. Especially when it's in front of a lot of people. I get real nervous that I am going to mess up on a word or something and the whole crowd will laugh at me. Any advice?

unregistered user
June 7th, 2005, 03:30 PM
When in front of others speaking remember that adrenaline is what is making you nervous and sweaty, the best way to get unnervous is thus to release the adrenaline, but not all of it, just enough because adrenaline also keeps a speech lively. Try tensing your muscles while speaking. If you're behind a podium don't lean on it, don't use it as a support unless you really need to. Keep eye contact with your audience. Use your hands and face to give expressions when needed, it helps a speech. Above all else practice, practice, practice way before you do the speech! Practice in front of a friend too, it will get you ready for it. Before you begin make sure that you don't have to use the bathroom, and make sure you're clean =P And last of all, get some water to drink before you speak.

Fear The Paw
June 7th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Thats a though one for me. I was never good at speeches. But small presentations I am good at.

Nephilim
June 7th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Do it drunk. *thumbs up*

Kidding.

Lion King Stu
June 7th, 2005, 03:38 PM
imagine the crowd naked or in there underwear thats what I've heard works :lol:

Aurelian
June 7th, 2005, 03:41 PM
LKS, last time I tried that, there was a ugly fat man in the front row. That made things worse, because I had to talk AND had a very disturbing image in my head.

Try imagining that you are talking to a pride of lions, instead of a human audience.

Nephilim
June 7th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Roquivo
Try imagining that you are talking to a pride of lions, instead of a human audience.

Woah, he's scared enough already...

Simba22
June 7th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Thanks for all the advice people. I'll tell you guys how it goes on Friday.

Prince Simba
June 7th, 2005, 04:59 PM
It always works for me to procrastinate, because then I'm more worried about writing a speech than anything else :p

lionloversam
June 7th, 2005, 05:45 PM
In addition to what Ravoc said, I would recommend finding a friendly face out in the audience and pretend you're talking to them. When I have to give speech, I write the speech completely out, then I read it over and over till I am very comfortable with it. After that I make note cards with key points of the speech that will spark my memory on what I wanted to say. Then I practice with the note cards till I feel I have the speech down.

unregistered user
June 7th, 2005, 07:53 PM
That's sound advice, LLS. Good luck and all, Simba22!

:)

unregistered user
June 7th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Well, believe it or not, I used to be horrified of speaking to anyone. It turned me into a kinda bipolarish weirdo 0.o for a looooooong time. :( Then, when I got to church, and started finding friends, all my issues left.Except my ADHD/ADD :lol:, but that disorder is sweet !!:cheese: :evilgrin: Not just because of my friends did this happen, but I think God sees I'm good with making people laugh and making them happy. Now, I just climb on stage when there's like 146 peeps there [on average sunday nights] and lead us in prayer. At Wednesy Day services, Crazy is an understatemnt :lol:
So to Simba22, pray to God to work through you.;) He will give you the firm ground to talk to others, trust me!
=)

Xinithian
June 7th, 2005, 11:23 PM
I had to take a speech class. As odd as it sounds, when I was giving my speeches my mind was thinking about something else. That may not work for you, but it worked for me.

unregistered user
June 8th, 2005, 12:05 AM
Dont care about how many people there is, just go out and do your thing, with respect and look around the whole audience not just at your papers if you have any :E

And if the bastard should laugh, wait until theyre finished and then continue to talk again.

The important thing is to just forget about what they care and think of how you would like a speaker to be and what he/her would say.

If they dont think its good, its their problems. be sure to be well practiced with what your going to say, if you have a paper its even harder, thats usually when I mess up :E

Goodluck to you!

Simba22
June 8th, 2005, 02:48 AM
Thanks you guys. You've really helped me. For now I just gotta study what I wrote so it's sounding like I'm speaking and not reading off a sheet of paper. Once again to everyone that replied [even the people with the smart *** responces.];) Thank You!:cheese:

Vidan
June 8th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Touching upon what Ravoc said about adrenaline, use it to your advantage. Don't grab on to the podium but walk around and make hand gestures. Don't be afraid to exaggerate if you do this because the people in the back rows will want to know what you're doing with your hands/arms anyway.

lionloversam also has some good advice. Find someone in the audience (or even better, plant them in advance so you know where to look) and pretend you're talking informally to them.

lion_roog
June 8th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Go Crazy!!!!.....It helped me lots in dire situations.....:D :D

Mizani
June 8th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Maybe not in this situation Roog:uhno:

Anyway Simba22, good luck! I hate public speaking to.:eww:

LunarCat
June 8th, 2005, 09:55 AM
hey cool! My suggestion, treat it like an act. Re-read your lines(speech) many times so you know when to look up. Then when you get out there, just remember to talk slowly.

Simba22
June 18th, 2005, 02:44 AM
Sorry to bump this thread I just wanted to tell everyone I did my speech today and the whole crowd absoloutely loved it. Lot of people telling me what a great job I did. I thank you all who gave me advice in this thread. :hugs:

Mizani
June 18th, 2005, 02:47 AM
I'm not so good with public speaking but its good to hear it went well Simba22:D

unregistered user
June 18th, 2005, 02:49 AM
YAY!!! [throws confettie] CONGRATS ;)

Simba22
June 18th, 2005, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Mizani
I'm not so good with public speaking but its good to hear it went well Simba22:D

Neither am I which is why I made this thread. ;)

What I found an idea was that if you have a camcorder or if your folks have a camcorder or your friends or whatever. Read your whole speech into the camcorder when you're all alone. It really helped me sound like a I wasn't reading from a piece of paper. The real person I have to thank is my dad he basically wrote my speech using my ideas. I was kinda bad with writing my old speech it was kinda how you say Cliche.