PDA

View Full Version : Religon (again, sorry)

Xinithian
June 1st, 2005, 11:48 PM
Yes, I know this has been brought up before, but since the last poll closed and with the addition of lots of new members, I would like to see what people are. I'll also include more options. Poll results will be held open forever.

And when I say "conservative" or "liberal" christian, I am asking if you're very literal when it comes to what the bible says (conservative), or if you're metaphorical when it comes to the bible says (liberal). For example, somebody would be a conservative Christian if they said that repenting to Christ is the absolute way into heaven, whereas somebody would be a liberal Christian if they said that by repenting to Christ you would be much spiritually healthier and therefore would have a better chance of getting into heaven (which a liberal Christian might say is a state of mind in the afterlife rather than an actual place), but somebody from another religion who is in peace with himself (like Gandhi, etc.) could make it into heaven as well.

IMPORTANT: CATHOLICS ARE CHRISTIANS IN THIS! DON'T PUT OTHER IF YOU'RE CATHOLIC! Thank you.

IchLiebeNALA
June 1st, 2005, 11:58 PM
where's Plagerism? :D

anywho, there are 4 types of bible interpretation, i know you couldn't fit them all on there anyway!
there is the Conservative, Liberal, Literal and Fundamentalist.
i should know what they mean because i took R.E. as a subject...

anyway. myself, i'm not actually religous. i took RE so i could understand the teachings of other religions so i didn't misinterpret them in conversation.

TakaTiger
June 2nd, 2005, 12:00 AM
Athiest

lion_roog
June 2nd, 2005, 12:14 AM
I'd say I'm a moderate Christian...but I lean more Liberal....so Liberal Christian!:cheese: ....Because Gandhi deserves heaven more than I could ever.

Whitewolf
June 2nd, 2005, 12:23 AM
What would Romen Catholic go under? :curious:

Dare
June 2nd, 2005, 12:26 AM
Roman Catholic would be under one of the Christians...but whether you're liberal Christian or conservative Christian depends on how much you believe in the Roman Catholic doctrine, methinks.

As for myself, closest thing you could call me is "Native American Shamanist".
:ayecapn:

lion_roog
June 2nd, 2005, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Whitewolf
What would Romen Catholic go under? :curious:

It depends on if you lean towards more of a conservative view of Christianity...or a more Liberal view...so Roman Catholic would go under either of those....:cheese:

Ngatuny
June 2nd, 2005, 12:32 AM
Exactly as Wicked and lion_roog said! I myself would be a very liberal Christian (Catholic as well)

Whitewolf
June 2nd, 2005, 01:03 AM
so if u like the traditional type then i am guess u go under......

Xinithian
June 2nd, 2005, 02:34 AM
so if u like the traditional type then i am guess u go under...... What? There isn't really a traditional type. You should look at my examples on the first post, then decide from those.

nafklt
June 2nd, 2005, 02:34 AM
Atheist.

Whitewolf
June 2nd, 2005, 02:40 AM
ahhhhhhhhh i can't decide since i am not a really good of faithful person :alone: (example last time i went to church was 5 years ago , last time i went to comfession is hmmmmmmm let see i don't remeber could be 9 could be 10 years ago and i use Lords or gods name in vain sometimes...Yep i am on the high way to hell for sure :irule: )

guess i go with the liberal since i like the liberal party of canada:cheese:

unregistered user
June 2nd, 2005, 02:44 AM
:lol:m Welp, I return from church and here be the topic. I have no idear what the liberal or fundementist whatcha hostit and what not is...but, I'm a lazy bum, don' wanna read up :lol: well....:evilgrin: I'm a Southern Baptist, wherever it comes down to it. But all in all, I'm a very strong follower of Christ!:D :cheese:

Prince Simba
June 2nd, 2005, 02:49 AM
Agnostic

nafklt
June 2nd, 2005, 02:58 AM
ahhhhhhhhh i can't decide since i am not a really good of faithful person :alone: (example last time i went to church was 5 years ago , last time i went to comfession is hmmmmmmm let see i don't remeber could be 9 could be 10 years ago and i use Lords or gods name in vain sometimes...Yep i am on the high way to hell for sure :irule: )

guess i go with the liberal since i like the liberal party of canada:cheese:

:lol: I think we were better off when Chr?tien was the leader of the Liberals...:P

Xinithian
June 2nd, 2005, 03:05 AM

guess i go with the liberal since i like the liberal party of canada:cheese: It doesn't matter if you're faithful or not. What matters is your interpretation of the Bible. Judging what you said about the using of God in vain, I'd assume that you're actually a conservative Christian, because they would be more likely to interpret it literally than a liberal Christian who might interpret as "Don't call upon God for wanting unnecessary things".

Xinithian
June 2nd, 2005, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Utora
:lol:m Welp, I return from church and here be the topic. I have no idear what the liberal or fundementist whatcha hostit and what not is...but, I'm a lazy bum, don' wanna read up :lol: well....:evilgrin: I'm a Southern Baptist, wherever it comes down to it. But all in all, I'm a very strong follower of Christ!:D :cheese: Well, do you take everything in the Bible literally (as in Hell being in an actual place people get sent to when they die), or metaphorically (like Hell being a state of mind that one would be in when they die, rather than an actual place)?

unregistered user
June 2nd, 2005, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Xinithian
It doesn't matter if you're faithful or not. What matters is your interpretation of the Bible.

Um...part true, part not true. Faith is what keeps a man going, and faith is what decides how you obey God. If I had no faith, I wouldn't even bother to read or judge the bible. Nor would I give a ju-who-sit on God. That's my "opinion" and I'd like people to state their minds upon this. I'm not rustling the bumble bush here. :noogie:

unregistered user
June 2nd, 2005, 03:12 AM
Well, do you take everything in the Bible literally (as in Hell being in an actual place people get sent to when they die), or metaphorically (like Hell being a state of mind that one would be in when they die, rather than an actual place)?

It is most definitly a real place that the unfortunate unbeilievers shall fall into after they pass away. However, I and other christians would be to blame, because our duty is to convert and save people from exactly that. So, that's my thesis :lol:

unregistered user
June 2nd, 2005, 03:13 AM
Islam.. Muslim..
im proud of it

Xinithian
June 2nd, 2005, 03:14 AM
Um...part true, part not true. Faith is what keeps a man going, and faith is what decides how you obey God. If I had no faith, I wouldn't even bother to read or judge the bible. Nor would I give a ju-who-sit on God. That's my "opinion" and I'd like people to state their minds upon this. I'm not rustling the bumble bush here. :noogie: I meant that it doesn't matter when determining wether you're a liberal or conservative Christian.

And regarding your other post, you're DEFINETLY a conservative christian.

unregistered user
June 2nd, 2005, 03:24 AM
Okees...:lol:
whoa whoa..I'm the only Conserve??? :confused: SWEET! :lol: Interesting to see other peeps views :lol::lol: Well, thats the status...currently. I hope it will change. If not, the Genie is gunna be double prayin and fastin'! :lol:

Xinithian
June 2nd, 2005, 03:51 AM
If not, the Genie is gunna be double prayin and fastin'! :lol: OMG fasting is sinful, you heathen!! :p

unregistered user
June 2nd, 2005, 03:52 AM
Waaaaaaaaaaat!!!? I think not! jk...but...it isn't....as I've been raised...

Aurelian
June 2nd, 2005, 04:15 AM
I'm definately Christian, but I don't think I'n lberal or concervative. In pray to God, read the Bible, and attend a Catholic church. However, I believe what I want to believe and how I want to believe it. I believe in what the Bible says, but I also believe we arre allowed to have beliefs and choices outside the Bible. I believe the Bible is a guide, not a rulebook. I believe God is a moderator, not a tyrant.

I also believe that all religions are different interpretations of the same thing, belived different ways and with different words. Sure, the Al Queda belief that sacrificing yourself to kill "Worshipors of the Devil"(or Americans) will earn you 70-whatever virgins in Heaven is far fetched, but they still believe in Heaven, don't they?

Most Christians would blasphamise me because I put animals on the same respect level as humans. However, I have never found a spot in the Bible that says we can't choose to respect animals as much as man, so I do as I please.

All in all, God is my first love.

unregistered user
June 2nd, 2005, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Roquivo

All in all, God is my first love.

AMEN!!!!

Xinithian
June 2nd, 2005, 04:32 AM
I'm definately Christian, but I don't think I'n lberal or concervative. In pray to God, read the Bible, and attend a Catholic church. However, I believe what I want to believe and how I want to believe it. I believe in what the Bible says, but I also believe we arre allowed to have beliefs and choices outside the Bible. I believe the Bible is a guide, not a rulebook. I believe God is a moderator, not a tyrant.

I also believe that all religions are different interpretations of the same thing, belived different ways and with different words. Sure, the Al Queda belief that sacrificing yourself to kill "Worshipors of the Devil"(or Americans) will earn you 70-whatever virgins in Heaven is far fetched, but they still believe in Heaven, don't they?

Most Christians would blasphamise me because I put animals on the same respect level as humans. However, I have never found a spot in the Bible that says we can't choose to respect animals as much as man, so I do as I please.

All in all, God is my first love. You'd probably be more liberal Christian then.

unregistered user
June 2nd, 2005, 04:36 AM
[sighs and sits in conserv. corner quietly] :lol: Joking, but I figured it'd be like this on Lea. ;)

Alli
June 2nd, 2005, 04:45 AM
I'm in a religion called Jehovah's Witnesses. If you've never heard of it, it's where we believe that god is jesus' father and that god's name is Jehovah (Or in the original language of the bible it's Yahweh) We follow the bible pretty closely.

klowd
June 2nd, 2005, 06:24 AM
Atheist-Godless.

King Simba
June 2nd, 2005, 07:49 AM
I'm probably Agnostic but then again, I probably fit under the Christian category too. :hmm:

nathalie
June 2nd, 2005, 09:07 AM
I'm supposed to be Rome-Catholic.
Even won a prise in school, for best student in that class.

But I don't believe in any off that stuff.
So I don't call myself Catholic or Christian. Even though I was brought up that way.

la_reina
June 2nd, 2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Guntur
Islam.. Muslim..
im proud of it

Same here!:D
I'm proud of who I am as well:D

Iestyn
June 2nd, 2005, 11:24 AM
Athiest.

unregistered user
June 2nd, 2005, 02:17 PM
Scientology, a little... But, mostly I practice the neo-pagan polytheistic religion. I have respect for all religions & believes; even though -- they tend to fight amongst themselves, and I say that's just part of the Natural Order.

@Xinithian: Reemerging a topic is cool; its predecessor gets lost/barricaded/closed/whatever -- reemergence is typical, moreover it can be essential... .. .

unregistered user
June 2nd, 2005, 02:26 PM
@Sonk:would unearthing a crazy Genie thread be esential???:idiot: jk...and no, most likey not :lol:

unregistered user
June 2nd, 2005, 02:30 PM
@Sonk:would unearthing a crazy Genie thread be esential???:idiot: jk...and no, most likey not :lol:

Whatever you want to do... I'm not yo momma, but I is you pappy. *lashes Utora with teh spaghetti noodle* Buwhahaha~! XD

:evilgrin:

Nalinda
June 2nd, 2005, 02:38 PM
Liberal Christian

unregistered user
June 2nd, 2005, 02:39 PM
[rubs face like Kip from Napoleon Dynamite] Geee-HEE-eeeeeeeeeeessssssssss...http://www.nixflix.com/moviepics/napoleondynamite2.jpg

Endra
June 2nd, 2005, 02:53 PM
I be jewish! :ayecapn:

I'm the only Jewish person here so far! Yay! I'm unique! *weeeeeeeeee*

*weeeeeeeeee* ? 2005 SimbaLKD

la_reina
June 2nd, 2005, 03:03 PM
LOL, I guess you are:D

unregistered user
June 2nd, 2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Aziri

Is that a Jerry Seinfield uniqueness that you got there, or is it somethin' else? Anyhow, you're unique my friend...

:cheese:

Do you have any ascendants that speak Yiddish, perhaps?

Endra
June 2nd, 2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by SoniqueX

Do you have any ascendants that speak Yiddish, perhaps?

My grandpa! He speaks Yiddish!

la_reina
June 2nd, 2005, 03:16 PM
That's cool:D
I'm currently reading a book about a Russian Jewish girl that speaks Yiddish. It's translated into English, though it still uses some Yiddish terms=D

Monai
June 2nd, 2005, 03:29 PM
I'm a Roman Catholic, but from what's on there, Liberal Christian. :cheese:

IchLiebeNALA
June 2nd, 2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Aziri
I be jewish! :ayecapn:

*weeeeeeeeee* ? 2005 SimbaLKD

i had no idea that you were Jewish Aziri!

well, i suppose i didn't ask did i!

i dont like asking personal questions like that, unless i know them fairly well.

nathalie
June 2nd, 2005, 03:30 PM
I know 1 Jewwish word *tochus* don't know if it's correclty spelled though ... But I hear it on "The Nanny" all the time (butt) *lol*

LionKingxx
June 2nd, 2005, 03:42 PM
none of them

Endra
June 2nd, 2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by nathalie
I know 1 Jewwish word *tochus* don't know if it's correclty spelled though ... But I hear it on "The Nanny" all the time (butt) *lol*

It is hard to spell in english... but I think it is something like "tokhes" and yup it means "butt"! One of the only words I know :p

Oh and "Yarmelkeh" which is the traditional jewish skull cap... or kippah :)

nathalie
June 2nd, 2005, 03:47 PM
*meschokke* means nuts :D

What you learn, while wathing a TV show *lol*

Hanshilo
June 2nd, 2005, 06:29 PM
i'm afraid i am an atheist, i don't have any beliefs of god. not going against, btw he might exsist i wouldn't know.

SIMBAtheENIGMA
June 3rd, 2005, 12:17 AM
Pantheism... Didn't actualy know that one :P Thought that that came under Agnostic...

unregistered user
June 3rd, 2005, 12:19 AM
two islam in this place :)
im not the only one yes.....

SimbaLKD
June 3rd, 2005, 12:25 AM
Agnostic here, I belive in a greater force.. a god persay, but maybe not in the same resepects as you might think.

;)

la_reina
June 3rd, 2005, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Guntur
two islam in this place :)
im not the only one yes.....

No, you're not, but I think there's only the two
of us, and that's all. =D

unregistered user
June 3rd, 2005, 01:12 AM
you and me:love::p
haha.. :p

Juniper
June 3rd, 2005, 02:00 AM
Christian.

I believe that the bible is a guide, not a science book or a list of rules. I tend to follow the messages of the bible (ie, Love thy neighbor, Love God, get along with eachother, find happiness in God, unconditional forgiveness/love etc...) instead of single passages (ie, gay people are going to hell, allow slavery, women are under the authority of men) because single passages can be translated and interpreted in many different ways. I also tend to take into account the culture of the time when a book of the bible was written and the original language/other possible or probable translations for the words. I think people worry way too much about being a "Good" christian and thus ruin the whole point of being Christian in the first place. I don't think religion can be proven or disproven by science, and I don't think science alone can add meaning to life. As a side note, I believe in evolution Finally, I respect everyone else's religion and don't try to tell peope they're wrong; to mess with someone else's religion is just not acceptable in my mind.

I also don't think God is the Great Smiter, waiting to pull his .44 magnum on anyone who messes up. We all mess up constantly and it's be expected and not to dwell on. Likewise, I think we should forgive eachother of our faults and wrong-doings because we're all human.

Xinithian
June 3rd, 2005, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by SIMBAtheENIGMA
Pantheism... Didn't actualy know that one :P Thought that that came under Agnostic... Agnostic is believing that if there is a God, it is unknown. Pantheism is knowing that there is a God, but the god is in the forces of nature.

unregistered user
June 3rd, 2005, 02:26 AM
I keep getting Pantheism mixed up with Unitarianism.:confused: Do you know what Unit. is Xini? I know, but am seeing if you understand it like I do, if not, then I would most likely be in the wrong.

Xinithian
June 3rd, 2005, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by SimbaOfAfrica
I keep getting Pantheism mixed up with Unitarianism.:confused: Do you know what Unit. is Xini? I know, but am seeing if you understand it like I do, if not, then I would most likely be in the wrong. I just looked up unitarianism. I don't see how you could get those two confused. Unitarianism is the belief that there is no trinity (father, son, and holy spirit) that is equal (they all have seperate ranks). Panthiesm is belief that any god (not Jesus or the Christian god) lives and controls through the forces and laws of nature.

unregistered user
June 3rd, 2005, 02:38 AM
Well, it's a rather long story. Has to do with the fact i studied them in History at the same time.....and failed the test...and never got it stright lol.....ouch.

Aurelian
June 3rd, 2005, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by pntbll248
Christian.

I believe that the bible is a guide, not a science book or a list of rules. I tend to follow the messages of the bible (ie, Love thy neighbor, Love God, get along with eachother, find happiness in God, unconditional forgiveness/love etc...) instead of single passages (ie, gay people are going to hell, allow slavery, women are under the authority of men) because single passages can be translated and interpreted in many different ways. I also tend to take into account the culture of the time when a book of the bible was written and the original language/other possible or probable translations for the words. I think people worry way too much about being a "Good" christian and thus ruin the whole point of being Christian in the first place. I don't think religion can be proven or disproven by science, and I don't think science alone can add meaning to life. As a side note, I believe in evolution Finally, I respect everyone else's religion and don't try to tell peope they're wrong; to mess with someone else's religion is just not acceptable in my mind.

I also don't think God is the Great Smiter, waiting to pull his .44 magnum on anyone who messes up. We all mess up constantly and it's be expected and not to dwell on. Likewise, I think we should forgive eachother of our faults and wrong-doings because we're all human.

Awsome! My beliefs fall right in line with yours, Pnt! Right to the last period!

Alli
June 3rd, 2005, 03:31 AM
Christian.

I very, VERY much agree with you on this, except i personally don't believe in evolution. But you are so totally right. Why would somebody who we call out father purposefull take you children to heaven? Or sen the planes into the two towers? It's not gods doing at all, it's what mankind is doign to itself and i sometimes don't understand why people blame god for their fellow mankinds actions. I mean, yes, he has the power to stop these things but the whole reason he let us live after adam and eve sinned was to see how we could rule ourselves without his complete protection. And now we see that it's corrupt and that we'll never have a perfect system without him. God's our father, and the bible tells us countless times he loves us. I don't believe he would make people die just for him to have them in heaven.

And i don't believe in hell. I believe that those who seriously sin will recieve god's judgement but if you sin, you won't be automatically sent to hell. I mean, it's just like my earlier statement. Why would he do that to you if your sins are to him, forgivable if we ask for forgiveness. It just doesn't make sense what some ppl think, but that, i guess to them it does and they don't get my beliefs, lol.

lion_roog
June 3rd, 2005, 08:35 AM
the original language/other possible or probable translations for the words.

A friend, who has read the Bible in it's original language, told me that the English text and the original texts have many differences....mainly due to the difficulty in translating different words and phrases, I guess...:cheese:

My personal belief is that you will be judged based on how you judge others. And that's why I will rarely ever judge people, because I don't like to be judged...but sometimes you are forced to judge.

Ralli
June 3rd, 2005, 03:39 PM
I'm agnostic. I think it's impossible to know whether there is a god or not. *shrugs* Though I'm torn between it and atheism. I'm not going to go into it. It's weird, though, since I was raised a hardcore Christian. Just the things I've seen in the world makes me not believe in any religion. It all seems outrageous and nonsense to me.

But I most certainly respect other peoples' religions, despite my great disliking of any religion. If they have one, whoohoo, but I'm not going to say they're wrong or anything. If they leave me be and accept me for who I am, I'll do the same to them.

Random fact: *twitch* I was nearly converted back by this one guy who I'm practically in love with. Gave me really good reasons why Christianity is 'right'. Then he insisted that I had demons in me because I'm bisexual. :evilgrin: And that really pushed me away from converting. Ah, he was so close. Very odd how I'm still in love with this guy despite his saying I have demons in me and is strongly against my sexuality. Haha.

And I bet you anything that someone will reply to this agreeing with him.

EDIT: I r a gud spelr. :gasp:

unregistered user
June 3rd, 2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Ralli
It's weird, though, since I was raised a hardcore Christian.

Weird, indeed! I too; was a steadfast Christian throughout my early upbringing. -- I was more of a protrusive sensationalist, than an idealistic one.

But eventually, I was deterred by other cosmopolitan teachings. Christianity -- just showed me way too much pessimism, so it became woefully discontent; in time it eluded me, nearly completely. (maybe -- I just don't understand it comprehensively enough; or whatnot)...

But anyway...

Shadow
June 3rd, 2005, 08:41 PM
i dont belive in anything ecsept my own belive..."but thats no book our any rules"

why?...becuse i dont want a book to say how i shuld live

there are maney views on the bible and outher belives i respect there belive and arent telling them that its right our wrong (but here is my view on it)

i dont want a religion our book telling me whats right and wrong.....

if we takes Gays and Bisexuals for exsample.....i dont rimember witch but on one religion it says something that there are from the devol our deserving to go there our something....personal i got several gay and bi pals....and i dont want a religion telling me that they arnt normal and arnt worhf to walk on this erhf.....

same whit outher things.....you must do this...you must do that our you will got to hell our haven.......i mean....you arnt able to make your own dessicens abut ppl....becuse your religion says that its wrong.....

besides i dont want enternal life in haven there everything is white and every one is skiping around being happy and nothing happens......am sorry but i just dont want a religon telling me how i shuld live my life our what to belive in.....

but yes...some things are usefull....but if we take god for exsample...if you are down our something and you pray god to help you....and then all sudenly your ok again....then you thank god....and not yourself....but in the end....nothing is helping you but yourself.....

PLEASE ALL TAKE NOTICE

that am not saying your wrong our right and some things are usefull in the religions.....but as i said befure everyone has there own opinion and ways of looking at it....now this is my way and am not saying that am right and your wrong our anything.....am just saying what i belive.....if you belive in god great ^^ belive in him...if you belive in an outher fantastic becuse what ever you belive i respect it...."as long as its not this exstrimly crazy things ".....

W-Eyed-Wanderer
June 3rd, 2005, 11:56 PM
I voted agnostic...the girl I love is a devout Christian and I'm still not sure if we can be together because of this...but I'm hoping she's liberal enough to allow us.

I believe in a higher power, I'm just not willing to give it a name like other organised religions do. Most of the religious texts are just written by man and so are inherently dishonest and evil...it's what being human is about. My best friend is gay so I'm hardly going to agree with the 'all gays go to hell' thing...actually there's quite a few things I disagree with in organised religion...

There are a lot of things I respect and agree with in the texts of organised religions but there are a few things that just stink of humanity and so are not worth believing in....the concubines rule in the bible being one of them...

I'm yet to make up my mind, essentially I'm leaving the thoughts about life after death until I'm dead - the only time you can be sure.

Incidentally, has anyone else had to choose between love and religion, if so, what did you choose?

Juniper
June 3rd, 2005, 11:59 PM
I'm bi and I still follow the Christian religion :D

I just tell people that what I do is between me and God

Aurelian
June 4th, 2005, 12:08 AM
On the whole bisexual and homosexual issue, I have some unique beliefs. The bible says that marriage is a blessed union between man and woman. However, the bible never says what marraige isn't. It is entirely possible that in the time that the bible was written, bisexuality and homosexuality was unheard off, which is why it isn't mentioned. Therefor, same sex relationships and marriages are not forbidden by the Word, as most people *coughGeorgeBushCough* say. I have nothing against homosexuality. In fact, my sister is lesbian.

Again, it's all about interpretation.

unregistered user
June 4th, 2005, 12:12 AM
There is also a part in the bible that says, "Man shall fall into sin, and become like the beasts of the earth. Man shall lust for one another, and do sinful things.Woman shall lust for one another, and do sinful things."
If ye be wantin' the specific verse, I'm sure I could dig it up ;)

W-Eyed-Wanderer
June 4th, 2005, 12:17 AM
So Queeny Utora...do you believe that?

There's a lot of things in the bible that contradict each other and don't really make much sense in the modern world. I always believe if people are truly Christian they would be accepting of all humans...but hey, what do I know?, I don't even go to church...*ahem*

Dare
June 4th, 2005, 12:19 AM
There is also a part in the bible that says, "Man shall fall into sin, and become like the beasts of the earth. Man shall lust for one another, and do sinful things.Woman shall lust for one another, and do sinful things."

Oooo...I wonder what the "sinful things" are?
:evilgrin:

*slaps herself* Bwah, sorry.

I don't recall that specific verse though...at least not verbatim. Is it from Paul's letter to the Romans?

unregistered user
June 4th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Lemme look it up, [I'm horrible at locating] 10 mins....brb :lol:

Aurelian
June 4th, 2005, 12:30 AM

All men/women do sinfull things. Just because the words are used in the same sentence doesn't mean that the lust is the sin. Aren't all sins supposed to go against the Ten Commandments? There is no commandment saying "Thou shalt not have sexual contact with another of the same gender." However, it is also possible that you have it right, Utora. The only one who can be truly sure if being homosexual is a sin is God himself.

Since I am not homosexual or bisexual, I'll let those who are take their own chances.

W-Eyed-Wanderer
June 4th, 2005, 12:43 AM
And furthermore...if God is accepting of all humankind, why would he have a problem with homosexuals? Man wrote the bible and I'm sure at least a few of the rules were written for the sake of conformity...

I don't think I fall into any of the minority groups that are singled out by the bible but I still feel I should fight the cause for them if we are to have a level-headed religious debate.

As far as I'm concerned if a religion is so strong that it means two people that love each other can't be together then it's gone too far. Just my opinion of course...

unregistered user
June 4th, 2005, 12:50 AM
I get what yer sayin' Roqy ;) Definitly.However I've been asked lots of questions upon where I stand on Homosexuality, and all that jazz. Once again, God is the judger of sin. I don't hate peeps that like are bi or gay, don't get me wrong.

To answer Wikcet:

Romans 1:21-27

21:For although they knew God, they neither glorified Him as God nor gave thanx to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22:Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23:and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.
24:Therefore God gave them over in the sunful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25:They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised. Amen.
26:Because of this, god gave them over to sinful lusts. Even their woman exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones.27:In the same way the men also abandoned natualr relations with woman and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men commited indecent acts with other men, and recieved in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

Now, I have met a man at my church who was one a bi, or gay, or whatever it is. He struggled, he battled, left his wife, and returned to her eventually after discovering God. He said himself, that even to this day does he lust [Thus proving Roqy saying Just because the words are used in the same sentence doesn't mean that the lust is the sin.] but he now runs the Biggest Chrisitian Help Line for Bi's and Gays. He still struggles, but, I think I cannot express this any more because I'm not bi, or gay, and don't truly know how to get on the same level.
But I don't hate bi's or gay's. And you can still be a Christian and be one of the two, but I believe that it is a sin some peeps have to deal with. and only God can help you. Amen.

W-Eyed-Wanderer
June 4th, 2005, 01:01 AM
As much as I love you Utora you will never get me to agree with the bible's take on homosexuals. How would you feel if it said all black people were sinful? Becuase it might as well...

It's a human creation and it acts like a game of Chinese whispers...the laws of Cristianity have probably changed many times in translation and interpretation so can you really take a modern bible as gospel?

It's exactly the same as bullying in a playground of all people with glasses are geeks...it's just human nature to hate everything that isn't the same as them. All that said I'm currently hoping to win over a very Christian family to accept me as a non-Christian so I suppose it's at the forefront of my mind right now...
:lol:

Xinithian
June 4th, 2005, 01:03 AM

Now, I have met a man at my church who was one a bi, or gay, or whatever it is. He struggled, he battled, left his wife, and returned to her eventually after discovering God. He said himself, that even to this day does he lust [Thus proving Roqy saying Just because the words are used in the same sentence doesn't mean that the lust is the sin.] but he now runs the Biggest Chrisitian Help Line for Bi's and Gays. He still struggles, but, I think I cannot express this any more because I'm not bi, or gay, and don't truly know how to get on the same level.
But I don't hate bi's or gay's. And you can still be a Christian and be one of the two, but I believe that it is a sin some peeps have to deal with. and only God can help you. Amen. But the thing is, why do gays and bisexual people need help? Why is it so wrong? The only reason that I can come up with is because of society. Otherwise, what do you lose in a gay relationship, other than a son? Also, probably when they interpreted it later, maybe the church wanted more children so they would collect the money from them (like how priests can't be married), and gay relationships would mean less money for them.

Aurelian
June 4th, 2005, 01:10 AM
Wow, OK! Somehow, in all my readings of the Bible, I missed that section. I never thought of homosexuality as a curse.

But, if God cursed us with homosexuality, wouldn't he expect some of his children to be just that?

I think that if somebody is attracted to people of the same gender, they can't just decide to go strait. I know that I could never love another man. When God put people in that position, I am sure he knew what he was doing. What he wants from them, he will have to explain to them himself.

Utora, thank you for opening me eyes there.

WEW, I have to disagree with you on your last post. It is why a group was created, not the fact that they are a minority, that makes them "sinfull. Would you say the same thing for Nazis? The KKK? The Mafia? Al Queda? I don't think so. These groups were formed for the reason of mass murdering people, and should never be compared to race, religion, color, age, gender, or even sexual preference.As for whether being homosexual or bisexual is sinfull, I supposed that is between God and those individuals.

Aurelian
June 4th, 2005, 01:14 AM
Also, probably when they interpreted it later, maybe the church wanted more children so they would collect the money from them (like how priests can't be married), and gay relationships would mean less money for them.

That's going to far! There is no way in hell that any priest would dare alter the Bible and turn Christianity into a money making scam!

Dare
June 4th, 2005, 01:20 AM

To answer Wikcet:

Romans 1:21-27

21:For although they knew God, they neither glorified Him as God nor gave thanx to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22:Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23:and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.
24:Therefore God gave them over in the sunful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25:They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised. Amen.
26:Because of this, god gave them over to sinful lusts. Even their woman exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones.27:In the same way the men also abandoned natualr relations with woman and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men commited indecent acts with other men, and recieved in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

Ah, I figured as much. Paul's Letter to the Romans is the big one when it comes to homosexuality and the bible discussions.

I have heard many different variations on this passage, however...different translations and whatnot...taking into account the social norms and context in which the letter was written...who was writing it and what their beliefs were...who they were writing it for and the differences in cultures, etc etc and so forth...
it's a fascinating study for cultural anthropology.
;)

but I digress...
people can bend words and re-interpret just about anything to suit their own needs and the bible is probably one of the most patchwork, twisted, multi-translated pieces of work in existence...more's the pity.
:(

So, unless some higher power beams down from above (or out of a tree or something), smacks me upside the head and goes "Hey stupid! This is what I meant!", I'll be taking everything I read in the bible with a grain of salt. I do have faith, but not in humanity's ability to interpret things.
(art critics are a prime example as to why)

unregistered user
June 4th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Wow, OK! Somehow, in all my readings of the Bible, I missed that section. I never thought of homosexuality as a curse.

But, if God cursed us with homosexuality, wouldn't he expect some of his children to be just that?

God also cursed man with sin. But sent his Son do die on the cross for them. I think bi and gay stuff applies with that.

@Xinits: I doubt it has to do with money at all. However, some are saddly filled with that lust. There is nothing much more i may say but, God can help you, and we all have sins. It is said that a baby is born from the whom as a sinner, so all in all, we are ALL sinners, but must accept God to be cleansed of them.
I still sin even though I know Christ. It is a natural thing, but forgiveness is the way to correct them =)

Xinithian
June 4th, 2005, 01:26 AM
God also cursed man with sin. But sent his Son do die on the cross for them. I think bi and gay stuff applies with that.

@Xinits: I doubt it has to do with money at all. However, some are saddly filled with that lust. There is nothing much more i may say but, God can help you, and we all have sins. It is said that a baby is born from the whom as a sinner, so all in all, we are ALL sinners, but must accept God to be cleansed of them.
I still sin even though I know Christ. It is a natural thing, but forgiveness is the way to correct them =) That still doesn't explain WHY sin is so wrong, and why gays need "help".

W-Eyed-Wanderer
June 4th, 2005, 01:26 AM
Rocky, I'm not comparing homosexuals to the KKK...you seem to have got the wrong end of the stick there...but my personal beliefs differ greatly from those of Christians in many ways.

I believe the higher power, 'God' if you want to give it a name, doesn't have any great plan for us...they just watch over us and if we need some support they are there. They cannot chnage things, all they can do is offer us a mirror to our own lives and give us the strength and assistance to do what we must. The only fate I believe in is that of life and death...everything else in between those two things is up to us. That said, things such as being gay is not a choice, even though a lot of Christians seem to believe that it is...you can't help your sexuality as much as you can't help whether you are male or female.

I hope I have managed to get my thoughts across in this, if I haven't I apologise but I will always be willing to clarify my position on things.

unregistered user
June 4th, 2005, 01:30 AM
That still doesn't explain WHY sin is so wrong, and why gays need "help".

Because sin separates us from God. Though, I know not all follow God, which therefore is another problem. Gays need help because being gay is impure and wrong. It is a sin, so it separates us from God. You need to call out to God, then God will help you with this sin so he can connect with you.

Xinithian
June 4th, 2005, 01:33 AM
Because sin separates us from God. Though, I know not all follow God, which therefore is another problem. Gays need help because being gay is impure and wrong. It is a sin, so it separates us from God. You need to call out to God, then God will help you with this sin so he can connect with you. WHY is it a sin!? It never explains why. Things like "thou shall not murder" and "thou shalt not disrespect thy parents" make sense, but not forbidness of homosexuality.

W-Eyed-Wanderer
June 4th, 2005, 01:36 AM
So, out of interest, if being gay is so wrong, why aren't all gay people struck down by lightning or something as soon as they accept their sexuality?

I fail to see how a religion that derides women so much can possibly justify its position on calling any human sinfull...

unregistered user
June 4th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Okay. Let me ask you something:Why is murder a sin?

unregistered user
June 4th, 2005, 01:38 AM
@Xinits:Okay. Let me ask you something:Why is murder a sin?

EDIT: Um....if God struck done every huuman being every time they did a sin, there would be no-one left on this earth.

Sorry for a double post, my computer is shutting on and off automaticly. :grrr:

Xinithian
June 4th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Okay. Let me ask you something:Why is murder a sin? Because it's violating the consent of others. The person that's being murdered doesn't want to be murdered.

Dare
June 4th, 2005, 01:41 AM
In theory, "murder" could also fall under the catagory of "theft", since you're taking something that does not belong to you.
;)

lionloversam
June 4th, 2005, 01:44 AM
once when I was reading something about homosexuality being wrong, the writer made a very good point, "When God created the world, He made 'Adam' and 'Eve' not 'Adam" and 'Steve'." I, myself, believe homosexuality is a sin too.

W-Eyed-Wanderer
June 4th, 2005, 01:46 AM
Exactly...every human that has ever lived has sinned in some way, so how can you possibly justify the word of the Bible as gospel when everyone goes against it anyway.

Apart from all the contradictions in the Bible there are a lot of grey areas which are open to interpretation - always a dangerous thing where humans are concerned.

The way I see it, as long as you're not deliberately being malicious then you aren't 'sinning'. For example, if you're going out killing people for the fun of it then you are hardly deserving of your life...but this is where the grey areas come in...if you are killing an opressor who has treated you and your comrades horribly, are you sinning?

unregistered user
June 4th, 2005, 01:48 AM
homosexuality, like murder, is an impulsde of the flesh and it is a sin to to live in the flesh....it violates God's will....if you dont believe that then the conversation ends there...

unregistered user
June 4th, 2005, 01:52 AM
@wew: What contradictions do you speak of? Because if you speak of old vs new testament...yer missing the point. :confused:

Xinithian
June 4th, 2005, 01:58 AM
homosexuality, like murder, is an impulsde of the flesh and it is a sin to to live in the flesh....it violates God's will....if you dont believe that then the conversation ends there... Murder is wrong because it's inconsentual. How is homosexuality wrong? And if you can't bring up any logical points to support the argument, then why force others not to be able to marry (the whole gay marriage ban thing)?

Originally posted by lionloversam
once when I was reading something about homosexuality being wrong, the writer made a very good point, "When God created the world, He made 'Adam' and 'Eve' not 'Adam" and 'Steve'." I, myself, believe homosexuality is a sin too. That's extremely stupid. Of course IF the whole thing with Adam and Eve was real there would be a male or female. That's the only way that they could reproduce. But what does that have anything to do with why homosexuality is evil, or a sin?

I don't get why Christians are so upset about gay parades and protests. It's like they expect us to not be gay because they say it's bad, but they can't explain why it's bad.

unregistered user
June 4th, 2005, 02:02 AM
@Zinits: I have posted my reason, God's word, and all I can. It is up to you, I can't force you.
And what does inconsentual mean? Were you referring to another word? :confused:

Aurelian
June 4th, 2005, 02:03 AM
homosexuality, like murder, is an impulsde of the flesh and it is a sin to to live in the flesh....it violates God's will....if you dont believe that then the conversation ends there...

Homosexuality isn't an impulse. It isn't somthing people do on a whim. While sombody might think "I hate so-and-so and am going to kill him for the tiny miscomfort they add to my life", nobody is saying "Hmm, today looks like a good day to be gay!". It is a way of life for those people.

As for why it is a sin, I don't know. That was God's decision, and he certinsly isn't obligated to tell us everything. One of the comandments reads "Thou shall not covet." or "This person shouldn'd want what someone else has.". Why is it a sin to be jealous of someone elses sucsess? Somtimes, I find that type of jealousy to be an energy to help me better myself. Don't get me wrong, I have never intentionally broke that commandment, but I know I covet all the time. That is an impulse.

However, Xinny, I can see why you doubt. God does leave us with an awful lot to wonder about. The many mysteries of the world.

Edit: Utora, inconsentual means against someone's free will, To force or force upon someone.

Xinithian
June 4th, 2005, 02:03 AM
@Zinits: I have posted my reason, God's word, and all I can. It is up to you, I can't force you.
And what does inconsentual mean? Were you referring to another word? :confused: Definitions of consent on the Web:

accept: give an affirmative reply to; respond favorably to; "I cannot accept your invitation"; "I go for this resolution"
permission to do something; "he indicated his consent"

Xinithian
June 4th, 2005, 02:08 AM
@wew: What contradictions do you speak of? Because if you speak of old vs new testament...yer missing the point. :confused: There's the contradiction of hell and god's plan. If god planned for certain events to happen, and if people's sins would effect those events, then why would he be guilty for sinning? I mean obviously for us to be born, someone in the past must've sinned (like when the Europeans came over to America and conquered America. If they hadn't done that, none of us US members would've been born). So, if God controls the future and everything, then it must've been his intentions for some to sin for certain events to happen, and thus I don't believe in hell.

unregistered user
June 4th, 2005, 02:12 AM
It's a sin to be jealous because it is. What more can I say? I'm not a preacher, I'm not a a leader, and now I'm in this position.

unregistered user
June 4th, 2005, 02:16 AM
So, if God controls the future and everything, then it must've been his intentions for some to sin for certain events to happen, and thus I don't believe in hell.

Um no. God gave man free will. If God were to force us into our ways, then he wouldn't be God, he'd be a dictator. Now don't twist my words, God gave us free will, but we can also fall into error.

Listen, I don't want to be wrong here, none of us do, however, I'm not the best follower of God. Read the Bible for help. Seriously, thats what I'm stating now.

Xinithian
June 4th, 2005, 02:20 AM
Um no. God gave man free will. If God were to force us into our ways, then he wouldn't be God, he'd be a dictator. Now don't twist my words, God gave us free will, but we can also fall into error.

Listen, I don't want to be wrong here, none of us do, however, I'm not the best follower of God. Read the Bible for help. Seriously, thats what I'm stating now. But regardless, if god controls events, then people would have to sin in order for those events to happen. And in that reason, he would make them sin.

Xinithian
June 4th, 2005, 02:22 AM
It's a sin to be jealous because it is. What more can I say? I'm not a preacher, I'm not a a leader, and now I'm in this position. Jealousy is wrong because it leads to unappreciation of what we have. It also leads to hatred towards others.

unregistered user
June 4th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Yes, but the same with being Gay. Not all see it like I do.Some are angry.

Xinithian
June 4th, 2005, 02:53 AM
Yes, but the same with being Gay. Not all see it like I do.Some are angry. How does it make you unappreciate what you have? How does it make you hate others? What support is there that homosexuality is wrong, other than "because the bible says so"?

nafklt
June 4th, 2005, 02:59 AM
Everyone has been jealous of someone, it's part of life; if no-one in the world was ever jealous of anyone else, where would the competition come from?

unregistered user
June 4th, 2005, 03:04 AM
Genesis 4
Cain and Able. The first murder was caused by competion.

nafklt
June 4th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Genesis 4
Cain and Able. The first murder was caused by competion.

Great, what about competition over world power?

That's going to far! There is no way in hell that any priest would dare alter the Bible and turn Christianity into a money making scam!

What about indulgences? Pay me money and your sins will be forgiven.:ayecapn:

unregistered user
June 4th, 2005, 03:17 AM
That's the Roman church Nak. Martin Luther protested against that very thing. and what do you mean,
"Great, what about competition over world power?"
Like Adolf? Well, if that is what you mean, God granted the american nation with a powerful army, because our nation is the nation of God. It is said that
"If a nations father is God, then blessings shall reign throughout it."
I like to think this too about that saying,:
Rome lasted for 3000 years, and they hardly advanced.
America has been around for 300 years, and we have advanced from horses and our way of living in the 1700's to cars, better ways to heal people, and much much more. The difference?
Rome:No God
America:God
=)
Just a little thing I like to think up on ;)

Xinithian
June 4th, 2005, 03:18 AM
That's the Roman church Nak. Martin Luther protested against that very thing. and what do you mean,
Like Adolf? Well, if that is what you mean, God granted the american nation with a powerful army, because our nation is the nation of God. It is said that
America has been around for 300 years, and we have advanced from horses and our way of living in the 1700's to cars, better ways to heal people, and much much more. The difference?
=)
Just a little thing I like to think up on ;) Right, and because our nation is "God's nation", it's better than other nations? Isn't that self centered to think that God only supports our nation, but not others?

unregistered user
June 4th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Ummm..riiiight... not what I was saying. Our founding forefathers were fighting and relying upon God.
If your nation was as well, then it is like the american nation, blessed by God.

Xinithian
June 4th, 2005, 03:23 AM
Ummm..riiiight... not what I was saying. Our founding forefathers were fighting and relying upon God.
If your nation was as well, then it is like the american nation, blessed by God. Our forefathers weren't fighting and relying upon god, they were Christians and prayed but didn't really rely upon god.

nafklt
June 4th, 2005, 03:25 AM
=)
Just a little thing I like to think up on ;)

Okay, that was my fault, I didn't read back so I thought we were talking about Roman Catholic...:confused:

But then it really depends on what your view of advanced is. Every country had it's advanced times and a time when it falls. The Roman Empire at it's reign of power was the most advanced nation in the world. Then of course (as everyone knows), the empire was no more. The exact same thing happened with:
Persian Empire
Ancient Egypt
Ancient China
Ancient Greece
Communist Russia
and so on and so forth.

What makes you think this won't happen to America? Let's say, maybe 10-250 years?

Xinithian
June 4th, 2005, 03:26 AM
America is actually heading down the poop shoot very quickly. Look at how much debt we're in, and look at China's prosperity. We're going to collapse very soon...

unregistered user
June 4th, 2005, 03:28 AM
I have noticed that america is loosing it's "Christian Values". But if it is God's will so be it. It is also the people to blame. sometimes i would choose to stand away from what America is now. Because It is no longer what our founding forefathers fought and died for.

unregistered user
June 4th, 2005, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by nafklt
Okay, that was my fault, I didn't read back so I thought we were talking about Roman Catholic...:confused:

But then it really depends on what your view of advanced is. Every country had it's advanced times and a time when it falls. The Roman Empire at it's reign of power was the most advanced nation in the world. Then of course (as everyone knows), the empire was no more. The exact same thing happened with:
Persian Empire
Ancient Egypt
Ancient China
Ancient Greece
Communist Russia
and so on and so forth.

What makes you think this won't happen to America? Let's say, maybe 10-250 years?

But no country has boomed like USA has.

Xinithian
June 4th, 2005, 03:29 AM
I have noticed that america is loosing it's "Christian Values". But if it is God's will so be it. It is also the people to blame. sometimes i would choose to stand away from what America is now. Because It is no longer what our founding forefathers fought and died for. Well then why are we falling with such a "Christian" leader?

unregistered user
June 4th, 2005, 03:31 AM
:grrr: Okay, honestly, I'm getting spazzy. I strongly believe that Bush is doing an amazing job as our leader. God be with him!
And you know what Xinits, Ask God about that, not me. ;)

Xinithian
June 4th, 2005, 03:34 AM
:grrr: Okay, honestly, I'm getting spazzy. I strongly believe that Bush is doing an amazing job as our leader. God be with him!
And you know what Xinits, Ask God about that, not me. ;) I'm not saying that Bush is a bad leader, but the country IS definetly going down the drain. If it's not Bush's fault, then it sort of goes against the theory of god helping nations.

nafklt
June 4th, 2005, 03:35 AM
But no country has boomed like USA has.

Previous technologies depend on earlier ones. How could one invent a personal computer without a transistor? Every great civilization has "boomed" more than the US. How about the block prinnting press? Paper from pulp? The wheelbarrow? Gunpowder? The compass? The rocket?
There are som many things invented that there are nothing big to invent, and this is when the US comes in...

And if you're talking about economy, you should take a look at China.

unregistered user
June 4th, 2005, 03:46 AM
Ya well, I'm extreamly tired, am sorry that you guys are willing to argue about this, and desire no more to discuss it. ;) I admit, that I was wrong about the booming America, but everything else, I'm sound on.
This is just making my folks laugh since they are watching this on their computer. Saddly:( we have eight computers, and my sister likes to watch. So, main reason I'm out.:evilgrin:

Mizani
June 4th, 2005, 03:52 AM
If God stopped everything bad, would we all be truely happy?
Sometimes the outcome is good. We just have to learn to live with it.

Juniper
June 4th, 2005, 04:08 AM
*Takes a deep breath*

In order to understand Romans 1, you must read it in full. To take certain passages from the bible and ignore the rest is taking the meaning out of context. Romans 1 is referring to Old-World Pagan temple practices that the author saw as sinful. One of these practices, not to be crude, was a pagan fertility ceremony where members would engage in heterosexual orgies. The passage says that God saw this is hideous before his eyes and gave these people over to homosexual practices as well. In the hebrew language, the word that stands for "natural" is not the same word we use as natural. During this time, the people did not have the concept of "natural" as being "what is supposed to be/what is right" but as meaning "the status quo". That means that it was unnatural for these people to engage in homosexual activities because they were originally heterosexual. This group of passages never refers to a committed homosexual relationship between two people. The fact remains that these people were having casual sexual activities with one another for a religious ceremony, which in most sects of the Christian religion is a sin, regardless of whether it is heterosexual or homosexual in nature.

Going along with that, in Corinthians 6, the words translated as "homosexual" are considered by most biblical scholars to be an incorrect translation. The hebrew words "malakoi" and "arsenokoitai" are not used to describe homosexual behavior in any other hebrew text of the time. If the author were to mean "homosexual", he would more likely have used the hebrew word "paiderasste", which was the common word for homosexual; the author of Corinthians wrote in plain and to the point grammar, he didn't use many metophor words that mean one thing but are used to represent something else. (Like, "malakoi" means "pliable" and was often used to mean "crappy morals" or someone who changed their beliefs whenever something new came up).

*Breathes*

I studied religion with a professor from OSU for 9 months in my off time (I knew her because she used to hold our school's philosophy club meetings), that was one of the subjects I asked her to cover. My point is, it could mean that homosexuality in all forms is a sin. Or it could mean something else. Translations from one langauge to another is not a definite science. There's errors to be made, and in time, fixed. I don't know for sure what the bible tries to say on the matter, there's good arguments for both. But to me, the fact that the arguments exist in the first place means that there's a problem. I don't see why christians argue about it, even get violent, when sin is not who we are. One major point of the bible is that Christians are no longer bound by sin and no longer bear its weight. If it is a sin, then I can say that I've tried pretty damn hard to find righteousness anyway. Regardless, I think God expects us to not know every answer, and I also think He expects us to screw up. That's why we have Christ. Finally, I think God casts his net of "salvation" larger than we as people expect.

But, on my more... personal side, I'll say that if someone says something is wrong, they need to investigate what their religious text says, both in the current language AND the original. Ignorance may be bliss, but it's also mankind's ultimate downfall.

Now getting on my very very personal side. I wouldn't consider this part of the debate because it gets personal and low. This is just my opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt. I didn't wake up one morning and decide to subject myself to hate crimes, discrimination, disgust, and insults by my oh-so-wonderful Christian brethren. Nor do I appreciate having people at my school yell "Suck a dick" at me. Now, I'm wondering why you think it's a decision when A. It isn't logical that I would make such a choice, B. Every credible scientific evaluation of the matter, with the exception of one dealing with pheromones, points to genetics as being the deciding factor on the matter, and C. I don't remember making that choice. "C" is pretty important, because I must have been stoned or drunk or something when I made that choice, because I sure as hell don't remember it. I'll tell you what I do remember though. I remember being made fun off, getting pushed and hit, all that **** that other bisexual or homosexual people have to deal with. I also remember thinking about my .357 in december. And January, and February, and March, and May. I've thought about killing myself so many times because of this issue and to tell you the truth, there isn't anything stopping me from splattering my head against a wall but ironically religious reasons. Facing such a perdicament, why the hell would I choose to be bisexual?

Maybe you don't understand what being attracted to the same sex is like? It's a pretty simple concept, actually. You know how you're attracted to the opposite sex? Yup, that's exactly what it's like. I'm attracted to both, I think I'd know. There isn't anything different about it, it isn't some overbearing lust for sex, it's wanting companionship with a person; I would think about cuddling with another guy and watching a movie together, nothing sexual at all about that. I also think about walking by the kitchen counter and seeing my spouse, whoever that may be, doing bills or making toast or something. Perhaps it's the prototype to represent the concept of "gay" that many people have created in their mind that's the interior-design loving fruity guy that sleeps with everyone he meets? I don't think I fit that description.

*Exhales, bows to a silent and disgusted crowd, and steps off podium* :p

Xinithian
June 4th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Ya well, I'm extreamly tired, am sorry that you guys are willing to argue about this, and desire no more to discuss it. ;) I admit, that I was wrong about the booming America, but everything else, I'm sound on.
This is just making my folks laugh since they are watching this on their computer. Saddly:( we have eight computers, and my sister likes to watch. So, main reason I'm out.:evilgrin: Were they laughing at this conversation or Coverdale's hair? :p

unregistered user
June 4th, 2005, 04:59 AM
:lol: Actually my sister laughed at that when I was trying to figure out who he was a long time ago. She was laughing at whats going on in this thread.

Azerane
June 4th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Ok, I haven't read much of this thread at all but I just wanna say well done to pntbll and thanks for sharing some personal stuff with us. I can't think of much to say in response except for the fact that as a christian we're supposed to think of everbody as being equal and accept them no matter what colour or race they are, that kinda thing, but then in some churches they don't allow or they dissaprove of homosexual relationships. It seems a bit hypocritical if you ask me.

nafklt
June 4th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Azerane
Ok, I haven't read much of this thread at all but I just wanna say well done to pntbll and thanks for sharing some personal stuff with us. I can't think of much to say in response except for the fact that as a christian we're supposed to think of everbody as being equal and accept them no matter what colour or race they are, that kinda thing, but then in some churches they don't allow or they dissaprove of homosexual relationships. It seems a bit hypocritical if you ask me.

I have a question though, can someone from another religion be as equal as a Christian?:confused:

Azerane
June 4th, 2005, 06:13 AM
That's a good question nafklt. See what I believe is that because I'm a baptised believer I have a place in heaven. However this does not mean to say that my beliefs are right, that's why they're called beliefs. I personally don't judge people by what religion they are, I accept the fact that there are other people out there that have different beliefs whether it's due to the way they've been brought up or just from things they've experienced. But whatever it is, somewhere along the line they've made a choice that that's the religion for them and I respect that choice, everybody is different so everybody can't be expected to believe the same thing.

EDIT: So yes, in my opinion, people with other religions are just as equal as christians and visa versa.

Kintaru
June 4th, 2005, 06:28 AM
I agree with you on that Azerane, though I don't think the Catholic church itself actually believes that itself. Which I find really hypocritical.

I remember one time our religion teacher wanted us to study this chart that was in out text book. (My highschool's a Catholic school.) Basically it was a ring of circles. The center said God, the next ring said Catholics, the next was Christians, then Jews, then Muslims, Then other religions, then agnosics, and atheists, etc. And it was to show how close each type of person was to God, holiness, place in heaven, etc.

Personally that chart really pissed me off. (Though not nearly as much as it did of the friend I have in that class that happens to be Jewish, heheh.)

Azerane
June 4th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Ok, yeah sure, that's a really accurate chart, hehe. That's the problem I find with some churches sometimes, is that they say one thing like all people should be accepted as equals, but then they disapprove of certain individuals like homosexuals etc. It just defies the whole purpose of saying that everyone's equal in the first place. It just really annoys me sometimes how people with one belief will make judgements on certain types of people or judgements on a whole religion. When really, most (if not all) of the different religions have the same basis to become closer to God so that we can spend eternity with him in heaven (almost seems a bit selfish), it's just that the different religions go about doing this in different ways.

Kintaru
June 4th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Yeah, they walk some very fine lines.

It just kinda portrays the idea: "We'll accept you as a respected religion, but at the heart of it all we're better than you, so we're closer to God." It just seems so petty.

And, atleast with the Catholic Church, their belief on homosexuality is extremely hypocritical. In that they say it's okay to be gay, and to have homosexual feelings. But if you dare act on those feelings, no matter the circumstances, it's a mortal sin against God. Poor people, they get attacked and scolded by everyone.

Azerane
June 4th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Yeah it's sad that although it's said that everybody's accepted it's obvious that in some cases they aren't. I guess it's just all you can do that at first it may only be a few people accepting people who are 'different' but then more people learn to accept them. I just don't know why people would refuse to accept them though.

nathalie
June 4th, 2005, 07:10 AM
It's very easy for me, I don't believe in anything, so I don't have to agree with what the church says.

Last time I went, I was 6, and that was for my confirmation.

unregistered user
September 1st, 2005, 03:09 AM
Religion?Me? Shamanism. No voodoo! Voodoo is evil.

Dare
September 1st, 2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Marimbawizard
Voodoo is evil.

*chuckles* The same could be said about just about every other religion.
;)

Good to see someone else into Shamanism though...most people I know haven't even heard about it. But in the other thread I thought you said you were Wiccan? The last time I checked, Wicca and Shamanism were two different things (at least in most circles), or do your beliefs incorporate elements of both belief systems?

Katse
September 1st, 2005, 09:05 PM
I'm Catholic(is that really oh so bad to some of you?), but I don't know whether it would be considered liberal or conservative.

jazonhyena
September 2nd, 2005, 02:41 AM
Atheist.

(Is it just me, or have all the Atheists/Agnostics before me made one-word replies whereas most others have had much more to say about their response? Oh well. It's a moot point now; I've spoiled the pattern)

Xinithian
September 2nd, 2005, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by Katse
I'm Catholic(is that really oh so bad to some of you?), but I don't know whether it would be considered liberal or conservative. Do you take everything in the bible literally?

Katse
September 2nd, 2005, 07:42 PM
Do you take everything in the bible literally?

Some things I do, some things I don't. I suppose it would make me liberal.

In my opinion, it just gets tiring to keep on hearing people say that Christianity, Catholicism especially, is so horrible and whatnot, you know?

Suki
September 3rd, 2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Daniel
where's Plagerism? :D

:lol:

I'm catholic. And I don't mind being catholic. If you'll excuse me I gotta go home and remove another thorn from my side....

mirta
September 4th, 2005, 05:19 PM
nothing, not cristian, athiest, nothing